OMG....Adblock for Safari.......open sourced and FREE (as in beer)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Merlyn3D, Nov 6, 2007.

1. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Is there a Tiger version? The site says 10.5 only.

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

3. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

Ive got no idea how it works, as there is no documentation - but it actually works very well!

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

What OS are you using?

5. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

Leopard PPC

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

7. Merlyn3D thread starter macrumors regular

It works....and Adblock is working great! It's definitely not up to snuff with firefox's adblock plus. You can enable and disable and check for updates, I think the update list is hard coded at this point. It's working pretty well though!

I would like more options like the one in firefox has though, but this is awesome!

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

9. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Doesnt seem to change the HOSTS file. I installed it, and only the ads in Safari were blocked. There were still ads showing in Sunrise.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Then why is the DMG always corrupt?

Edit: Well, they have an answer now, but mine wasn't a .gz. Still worked, though.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

this is great! much better than saft or a css style sheet. it doesnt block the flash ad at the top of this site http://www.news.com.au/

the flash ad ends with /v1.1.swf rather than .swf so its no being blocked. does anyone know how to edit it?... then it would be perfect!

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

So far so good. I installed it and it's blocking most ads successfully. :) I remember using a setting in Norton Personal Firewall to do the same thing years ago.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Is it any better than PithHelmet was for Tiger?

14. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

I've use firefox Add block while it works fine, I found that it wasn't really worth it.

1. I spent more time adjusting it to block different types of add, then it would for it to download the add.

2. Sometimes the space where the Add is, is part of the web layout having the add there sometimes keeps it easy to read.

3. Sometimes where the page is littered with adds it is now littered with empty boxes. Not improving website functionally.

4. Popup Blocking is different then blocking adds... Popups are intrusive and sometimes make using your computer impossible... Normal Adds are just adds that the web site owner puts in to make some money for his work. I see nothing wrong with that.

5. Bandwith is fast, most Add servers have been upgraded, long are the days were the Add server was stopping your webpage from loading.

6. Adds are better targeted. Even 5 years ago then were a lot worse now for most sites the adds are better targeted based on the content of the site.

7. There is a higher chance of a false positive where some critical information gets blocked.

8. Some sites fight back against it. Preventing loading of site that use Add Blocking.

9. Any bug in this tool could adversely effect your web experience.

10. Little overall benefit for a fair amount of work.

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Maybe with Firefox Ad Block. I used PithHelmet on my Tiger install and loved it. I almost never had to add and ad to the list because it blocked almost everything. Also, I could visit any site without a problem; even one's that are suppose to block ad blockers.

Update:

Safari Ad Blocker eventually made my Safari useless as it wouldn't even load. It would just sit there and crash when I opened it. Once removed the problem is gone. It could be that Saft is confliciting with it. Don't know as I'd rather have Saft installed than an Ad blocker.

16. BollywooD macrumors 6502

BollywooD

I use it with SafariStand, which is a free plugin - and it does pretty much everything Saft does, without all the problems of Saft. (messed up download window, etc...)