iPhone XS Max OMG, I can see infrared???

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
On my XS Max, in dark room, I can see light coming from one sensor on the left right next to the speaker. It is visible when Face ID is “looking” for face to identify.

Can you see anything? It is very tiny little red dot. Try it. Please tell me if you see anything.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah, happens for me too. It reminds me of Best of Both Worlds Pt. 1 where Picard pans to the camera and his ominous red Borg implant is shining through the mist.

Then the camera slowly zooms in on Riker’s face. “Mister Worf!” he gulps, knowing the next order will mean the death of Picard. “FIRE!”

And slowly, “To be continued” comes on the screen, with the orchestra screaming a thunderous staccato.

“DUN DUN DUN DUN!

DUN! DUN! DUN DUN DUN!

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!”

Then we had to wait a goddamn YEAR for them to air the next season!

Whoops, got a little carried away. Yeah, it happens for me too. You’re not defective or a superhero.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Yeah, happens for me too. It reminds me of Best of Both Worlds Pt. 1 where Picard pans to the camera and his ominous red Borg implant is shining through the mist.

Then the camera slowly zooms in on Riker’s face. “Mister Worf!” he gulps, knowing the next order will mean the death of Picard. “FIRE!”

And slowly, “To be continued” comes on the screen, with the orchestra screaming a thunderous staccato.

“DUN DUN DUN DUN!

DUN! DUN! DUN DUN DUN!

DUN DUN DUUUUUN!”

Then we had to wait a goddamn YEAR for them to air the next season!

Whoops, got a little carried away. Yeah, it happens for me too. You’re not defective or a superhero.
By far the best Star Trek episode(s) from ANY series. I actually just watched Part 2 not long ago when BBC America aired it.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
By far the best Star Trek episode(s) from ANY series. I actually just watched Part 2 not long ago when BBC America aired it.
Nah man - Yesterday's Enterprise and Chain of Command are much better!

Of course, "Family" is the unspoken third part of Best of Both Worlds (which I love) and who can't forget Darmok? @Darmok N Jalad :D

God I love TNG. I think I'm gonna have to watch some tonight.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Nah man - Yesterday's Enterprise and Chain of Command are much better!

Of course, "Family" is the unspoken third part of Best of Both Worlds (which I love) and who can't forget Darmok? @Darmok N Jalad :D

God I love TNG. I think I'm gonna have to watch some tonight.
Yesterday's Enterprise was incredible too. Can't say I remember Chain of Command (by name anyway). Refresh?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yesterday's Enterprise was incredible too. Can't say I remember Chain of Command (by name anyway). Refresh?
Two parter with Captain Jellico, who played Dick in Robocop.

Cardassians building a metagenic weapon, but it's a trap to lure Picard. Part 2 is basically Picard getting tortured by a buttery-voiced Cardassian who has an insatiable appetite for scenery.

It's amazing. :D

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
This is becoming one of my favorite threads on Macrumors. I'm a huge trekkie fan.

I can't see any red lights from my Xs MAX at night, and I use my phone at night a lot.

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
On topic, I can say that I've noticed flickering coming from my phone in the dark. Never really thought twice about it.

I'm guessing it's not as uncommon as one would think. Just not something people think to mention, I'd imagine.

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
Maybe it's like my Nest camera. I see faint red LEDs when night vision is active.

Note: Infrared is invisible to the naked eye. However, when Night Vision is on, you might notice a faint red glow around the lens of some Nest camera models while other models use LEDs that don’t glow red.