OMG...I just bought a black macbook...should i change to the white one? quick help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Son of Matrix, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Son of Matrix macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

I just bought a refurbished black macbook 2.4ghz 250 gig for £699. It's black. Is it nice? Didn't see it live. Am buying it for my ex-girlfriend. The other white one 2.4ghz 160 gig sells for £659. Did I get a good bargain? Should I change to the white one? This is because I still can cancel the black one. £40 for additional 90 gigabyte. quick help!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Black one is fine unless you're really stuck for cash.

3. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

You also need to factor in the infamous "black tax" to that £40. The black ones always costed $200USD more for just a larger HD and the black casing.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sounds like you got some great specs. I would definitely keep the black one. The black Macbook is less prone to scratches and dirt from sweaty palms.

You bought it for your "Ex-Girlfriend"? Hmm, it must be a new fad to buy something nice after you break up. :D

5. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

you'll have to wait a bit till you get your cash back as well, so your looking at sometime next week.
    I think you've got a good deal, the black one is more matte and smooth to the touch compared to the white glossy one

I'd stick with what you've ordered

6. Son of Matrix thread starter macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

Love you guys. Thanks for the feedback!!

re my ex: She just became my Ex today. I always wanted to buy her a present for her birthday which was before the Oct 14th macbook annoucement. So I asked her to wait for a bit. She doesn't know what I am buying for her. She thought I am waiting for something to be delivered from ebay and things got delayed! haha...

£40 after conversion should be roughly around USD100...so the difference has been reduced I guess...

here's a link of black macbook vs white ones...http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=420597

I think I will stick with the black although white ones looks more feminine...hmmm

7. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

8. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Damn son, get your money back and move on with your life. Don't buy your ex a freakin computer

9. embalmess macrumors member

LOL! :D:D:D
    ;)

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Amen. Buying your ex an expensive gift, or any gift, with the exception perhaps of a roll of packing tape, makes you an insta-chump.
    It's almost as bad as starting a thread title with "OMG".

11. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

she just became your ex today and your still excited to buy her a gift?....interesting

12. Son of Matrix thread starter macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

She's alright. Just that because of certain circumstances and difficulties, she broke up with me. We are still friends.

Sorry for starting the title with OMG. I was too excited.

I want to give my heart a rest. Anyway, do keep in touch? :D

13. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Don't be a chump. Keep the MacBook for yourself.

14. Son of Matrix thread starter macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

The black macbooks are finally out of stock in the refurbished apple uk section while the white macbooks are still remaining. So probably more people think black ones are the better bargain. Probably...because I don't know how many were in stock to begin with.

You make me feel want to get a T-shirt with "I'm a Chump. I bought my ex a MacBook."

I don't prefer MacBook. I prefer a MacBook Pro. I was deciding the old macbook or the new ones but it's hard to decide. 8600MT vs Glossy. S*cks big time. I will probably wait unless it's so cheap. Yesterday they sold a refurbished glossy Macbook Pro for £823 which I nearly buy but this 8600MT issue really freaking me out...

15. molala macrumors 6502a

I actually bought them both refurb and returned the white one. I think with the bigger HD, the black is the better bargain.

And I think that T-shirt would be great.

16. Laco macrumors 6502

keep the black one

everyone has the white one (including me)

enjoy it yourself

you seem too nice

haha i enjoyed this thread a little too much. It probably has something to do with me being in a really boring Oxford library lol.

cheers.

17. Son of Matrix thread starter macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

she will enjoy it...

too nice..yeah..u will be even more surprised if i tell u more about myself...more nice 'chump' things...haha..how many macbooks are there now in oxford library? white ones? black ones? haha

18. Laco macrumors 6502

actually, haha...i can see 5 laptops....2 are white macbook...1 is a macbook pro and two are pcs

19. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Keep the laptop, move on. Put it this way, you've just bought a laptop. You may as well have a play with it and see what it's like. Give it a month. If you still want to pass it on to your ex, fine. Wouldn't it be better to at least wait and give it to someone you're actually going out with?
    Tis your choice.

20. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

So she's your ex from today, she broke up with you and your excited about spending c. €1000 on her?

Dude, seriously, grow a pair and keep if for yourself or sell it - that's just crazy talk!

21. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

You definitely need relationship advice more than you need Mac advice. The laptop is fine... giving it to your ex is not. She might see it as an attempt to win her back, and that certainly wouldn't help your "friend" relationship, if it is indeed possible to be friends so quickly following a breakup.

You can still give her a birthday present, but maybe more along the lines of a book (made of paper) than a MacBook.

22. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

"I don't own anything from Apple. Probably I should shut up and start saving."
    That's what's in your signature... she's an ex now, you don't have to give her anything. Keep that macbook for yourself. She can still be a friend without you giving her £700 presents.

23. Son of Matrix thread starter macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

I believe she will be doing a lot of charity work in the future and may travel a lot. She has high interest in this kind of work and I can see that she's starting to do it. Plus she doesn't have a laptop. She has bought one for her brother for him to bring to university but not for herself.

So my purchase is not based on my relationship with her. Is for the greater good. But I can easily save another £300 to buy a PC laptop... I guess I want her to have the best...but refurbished... :D

24. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I do charity work, plz be sending me new macbook now. :p