Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here

Attachments

• odyssey1000.jpg
    odyssey1000.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 361

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
LOL, that's going to suffer the same fate as those iMac clones that Apple killed a few years ago. :rolleyes:

ponyboy

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2002
SLC UT/Italy
You have to admit that voice navigation, FM, radio, voice recording abilities, 13 hour battery, and direct CD ripping are pretty dope, 6 things I wish my ipod had.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
can u say copyright infringement??

I cannot believe they are actually going to try marketing this thing...aside from being an iPod knockoff...it's ugly! :rolleyes:

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Anyone who puts Britney Spears, Celine Deon, and Ronan Keating on their mp3 player (don't care what it is) ought to be hung, drawn, and quartered. Or taken into a back alley and shot. That's probably what Apple legal will do to those people anyways. :D :D

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I really don't think we'll see leagal action over this...

Blatant rip-off? Yes. But there's only so much you can do with an MP3 player. Size and shape is limited mainly by the size of the HD, and functionality requirements.

That ePower iMac rip off though... well, there's a lot more you can do with a computer.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Ho-ho!

I saw that on Tech TV and they said "coming up next we'll take a look at this iPod look-a-like" Hee hee hee! Apple will sure sue the pants off them ( I hope they will ) That'll teach people not to mess with Apple!
I said it before and I'll say it agian...
SUE APPLE SUE! SUE APPLE SUE!:cool:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Beej
I really don't think we'll see leagal action over this...

Blatant rip-off? Yes. But there's only so much you can do with an MP3 player. Size and shape is limited mainly by the size of the HD, and functionality requirements.

That ePower iMac rip off though... well, there's a lot more you can do with a computer.

there's a lot you can do with an MP3 player - I've seen so many different styles, I'm sure you have too.

Here are pics of 3 other 20 GB MP3 players - they don't look iPod-like.

trouble brewing.....

Attachments

• mp3.jpg
    mp3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 195

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
If i had the choice between this and the ipod.. definitely iPod, no contest.. if I had to choose between this and the three others in the pictures above, I'd go with this.. although I don't like the pink logo.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
"Odyssey MP3's Players, this is Karen, how can I help you."

"Karen, this is Steve Jobs with Apple computer."

"Yes, Mr. Jobs how are you?"

"Fine, just wanted to let everone there know that they were fired, except you of course, you sound cute. Tell them I bought the company, and have decided to close it and list the cost as a one time charge off on the next quarter."

"I will tell them Mr. Jobs, should I report to your offices there?"

"Yes, Phill will get you going over here. Tell the Dic*head that copied the iPod that we hope that he enjoys the State welfare agency."

Yea, they will sue 100% sure of it.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by dukestreet
that would be funny if they bought the company and just liquidated all the assets.....ha!:D

Yep, they could do it if they wanted to. That would just be hillarious. But wait, what if they bough Macrumors from Arn, and then shut it down. Oh, the horror :eek:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
well, as for selling the site, how would that work? I can't imagine arn selling out....well, at least for several million ;)

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by dukestreet
well, as for selling the site, how would that work? I can't imagine arn selling out....well, at least for several million ;)

I would imagine that if they offered arn 500,000 hell even 100,000 that Macrumors would die a quick death. Man, that would mean that we would actually have to use iChat.

he.he.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
what type of connection does this thing have, how big is its memory/hd and how much does it cost? Those toshiba hd's are expensive, and can't really be put in any sub $200 mp3 player... Also, what are the dimensions? The iPod is probably smaller... And, if it uses USB 2, then does it have a different power cable? It's really stupid to try to use USB with these things, and have a built-in non-removable battery because you'd have to have an extra charger... FireWire is so much better, so you don't have to plug your iPod into the wall while its plugged into your computer...

I hope that this thing dies a slow, painful, ugly death :eek: :eek: :D :cool: , and the company too... But hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to think that there should really be a moron tax... If there was, you could just set it up as a yearly charge for using windows, that way you'd be sure that you're taxing only the morons (mac people who have to use windoze are exempt from the tax...)

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
ok, i just found the details on the site...

Based off the 20gb iPod (hey, we have to be fair, right :D ) it is...
20% wider
7.5% taller
7% thicker

The thing is 25% thicker than the 10gb iPod...

I'd tell you how much more it weighs, but they don't list a weight...

Even though it is bigger, some of the features are stupid, like the voice navigation... The point of a PERSONAL mp3 player is so that only you can hear it... It would be really annoying to have someone sitting in class, talking to his mp3 player... The scroll wheel is a much better way to navigate (in my opinion) it's quiet, fast, and easy...

Also, the iPod has a 32mb memory buffer, whereas the rip-off only has 16mb...

and yes, it does have an external DC power supply, which just adds on to the weight you have to carry with you if you're going to be using it for more than 14 hours...

Granted the radio, microphone, and longer battery life is nice, I'd rather have the thinner, sleeker, more convenient iPod than that p.o.s...

Besides, I would never buy a mp3 player that came pre-loaded with britney spears. Not to mention that the interface is also a rip-off of the iPod's...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.