OMG. Please reserve all judgement on rMBP until you see it in person.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kendo, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I was one of the many who couldn't care less about the new rMBP. I am very happy with my MBA but if I had 2 grand to drop, I would probably have gotten the regular MBP with high-res AG screen. The main reason being that I felt 1680 x 1050 was high enough and since we are a foot away from the screen anyway, everything looks "Retina" to us. Plus I felt this was the perfect resolution for a graphics card to handle for games. Boy was I wrong.

The Retina display is amazing but the thing that shocked me even more is that when you change the resolution to mimic 1680 x 1050 so that you have more space, it still looks twice as good as a regular high-res AG screen. The icons still look like super sharp Retina icons the way we see on an iPhone 4S.

I'm glad I looked at it in person because I am forever changed. It is hard to type on this MBA right as we speak. My next laptop will have a Retina display for sure.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have seen it in person and was even more underwhelmed honestly

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I just got mine yesterday...and it is making my reg 24" display look embarrasingly bad. I might start using the larger screen as the secondary!! I can read the retina from 4x the distance I can read my reg display. This is a beautiful thing!!!

I read statements like, painted on...and like printed text....and it is without a doubt the truth! It is like looking at a glossy magazine.

4. cmdrmac macrumors regular

Seems like some will be pleased with the rMBP and some will always be disappointed with it. Honestly, my opinion is that if you like it and want it, get it if you can. The key question is, does the rMBP meet your needs and wants? Some people like the idea of upgradability and larger disk space. Others prefer sleekness and streamlined design.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've seen both, and in my opinion the hi-res anti-glare screen wins, hands down. The glossy display on the MBPR is a deal-breaker for me. While I know many love it, I'm not impressed with it at all.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

I like the Airs also. But this new machine I think is one of those things that if you were to try to give it up (If, for some reason you had to), you'd find that it ain't gonna be easy ;)

7. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

I've seen it, and I really don't like it.

1: I can see through the hinge area. It's very distracting to see my desk surface through that opening.

2: Doesn't say "Macbook Pro" below the display. It looks cheap to me.

3: The vents on the edges would be blocked if I had one and placed it on my lap. Defeats the point of them really...

4: UI lag. My Mid-09 Macbook Pro 15" that only had a 9400m didn't lag that bad in Lion, and ML on the Retina is even worse in some cases.

5: Anything non-Retina looks awful, and full Retina support is still many years away from what I can tell (by then my cMBP 2012 will be out of date anyways).

6: Small SSD/big price upgrades. Using the proprietary "blade" SSD wasn't necessary as we now make conventional SSD's much thinner than before, same thing for HDD's. A HDD + SSD or SSD + SSD combo would have still been easily obtainable in the current thickness of the rMBP.

7: Macsafe 2. I don't care that it's a new connector, that's all fine and dandy. But why the crappy ass T-Style connector again? It's just not a comfortable connection to use.

This is all based on experience with the rMBP we have where I work. We all took it home for a few days to try out, and I stopped using it the first day. I'm far from a fan of it.

8. Greg M macrumors 6502

Side by side?

I looked at them side by side and the retina makes the AG look washed out and just plain terrible. I was going to return my retina and buy a MBP with an AG screen but decided to take my retina to the Apple Store and place it next to an AG MBP. Looking at one and going to another table to look at the other one at the store doesn't give as true a comparison as placing them next to each other. When I did that it wasn't even close. The AG looked horrible next to the retina.

9. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I absolutely love the Retina!! And, I switched from a mid 2012 cMBP HR + AG

1- The screen, though slightly less bright, has much better contrast.

2- It's lighter which makes a difference when you're walking up and down the stairs with other stuff!

3- The speakers are far better than the cMBP, or at least they seem so to me!

4- The keyboard, with less play/more shallow, enables me to type much faster over the cMBP. The keyboard is quieter too, and more evenly backlit , especially from an angle.

5) It doesn't heat up nearly as much as the cMBP.

6) The IPS screen has great viewing angles. It's like a viewing an edge-lit LED Vs one with Full Array Local Dimming or a Plasma. Granted, most people look at their computer screens head on, but it's still an edge over the cMBP.

7) I've found the battery of the rMBP to last longer compared to the cMBP, performing the same tasks with the same brightness.

8) Having USB on both sides is an advantage for me over the cMBP.

There are, likewise, bottlenecks using the Retina. However, for my purposes, the rMBP is an excellent device thus far! :)

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

1: I can see through the hinge area. It's very distracting to see my desk surface through that opening.

You must have better eyes than I do. I placed the screen in any number of positions and had the computer sitting on a white surface and could not see through it. Even if I could this would not be a distraction at all. I'd say you are a person who is easily distracted.

2: Doesn't say "Macbook Pro" below the display. It looks cheap to me.

This is just silly.

3: The vents on the edges would be blocked if I had one and placed it on my lap. Defeats the point of them really...

"If I had one, "if" I placed it on my lap, do you really purchase things on "ifs"? You don't purchase much do you. Even "if" all this happen it would not have much of an effect.

4: UI lag. My Mid-09 Macbook Pro 15" that only had a 9400m didn't lag that bad in Lion, and ML on the Retina is even worse in some cases.

Before I put ML on my rMBP I thought that the only way it could get any faster is if it could read my mind. I think Apple has figured out how to do that as it is noticeably faster, with no lag that I can see anywhere.

5: Anything non-Retina looks awful, and full Retina support is still many years away from what I can tell (by then my cMBP 2012 will be out of date anyways).

Years away? Weeks maybe, perhaps even a month or two before retina apps appear. Again you're guessing and purposely making your guesses long. How long did it take for developers to begin putting retina apps on the IOS App store. Weeks, not years.

6: Small SSD/big price upgrades. Using the proprietary "blade" SSD wasn't necessary as we now make conventional SSD's much thinner than before, same thing for HDD's. A HDD + SSD or SSD + SSD combo would have still been easily obtainable in the current thickness of the rMBP.

Since Apple has not deemed me worthy enough to send me a breakdown of the pricing of my rMBP, I have no idea as to what the pricing of the SSD in the unit is. And I don't believe that anyone outside of the walls of 1 Infinite Loop has any idea either. A couple of million people think don't think that this is very important either.

7: Macsafe 2. I don't care that it's a new connector, that's all fine and dandy. But why the crappy ass T-Style connector again? It's just not a comfortable connection to use.

Coming from a black Macbook I have to admit that I've not used the newer style Macsafe connector, but I see nothing "crappy ass" about the T-Style. It works very well and certainly not any excuse not to use it.

You do realize that this is a "Laptop" therefore "Mobile" computer and therefore you don't need to plug it in except when charging it, right? At other times you wouldn't even see it.

11. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

No, I'm a person who likes their device to look and be solid and rugged. Big gaps don't say that to me.

It's a $2200+ laptop, I'm allowed to be picky.

Nice assumption about me. Rude. I was considering buying a rMBP at the same time considering a cMBP. I got to take a rMBP home from work for a few days like I said, I wasn't fan. I do a decent amount of video editing and some light gaming, and in that case the blocked vents would be a major issue.

Then you must be one of the lucky ones. Our store's rMBP has lag everywhere, and judging by the state of this section of our forums + Apple's own support communities, I'm not the only one who sees it and thinks its just plain awful.

The Retina apps coming quickly for iOS made perfect sense. Those are much less expensive devices that millions of people can afford and have. The rMBP is a VERY expensive item made for a VERY small percentage of users. Why would a developer spend more money on making an app for the rMBP, when it has the smallest user base? Maybe when we get Retina iMacs and cheaper rMBP's, but for now, I can't see it happening at all.

Storage is very important, especially in a computer where upgrading your storage is not an easy task and requires special tools and custom SSDs. In the Airs it doesn't bother me as much, that is a low level consumer product. But this is super high end professional hardware we are talking about, and true professionals need the expandability and upgrade-ability. That's the reason the Mac Pro still exists ;)

Go ahead, set your rMBP on your lap with the power cord in. Or in a tight space. Or move it around. The T-Style was awful. So awful that it wore down much too quickly and there was a very successful lawsuit against Apple for it.

Making the Magsafe 2 a T-Style would be like Ford putting the Pinto 3dr back into production without making a single change to it's fuel system. Bad idea all around.

When doing intense work on it, you want it plugged in or else you get around an hour and a half out of it. These are technically "Portables", meaning it has full features, but is much easier to carry. They even ditched the term "Laptop" because putting a newer portable in your lap screams of burning legs, then a lawsuit ;)

For me it came down to getting a base rMBP, or a base cMBP + 8GB RAM + 180GB SSD, and the rMBP lost hands down to the cMBP. The lightness of the rMBP was the only advantage I could see, and even then it's not a major difference.

12. whdigital macrumors regular

^this

yup...

13. nickbarbs macrumors regular

To be fair.. that post was pretty bad. No macbook pro stamp on the front makes it feel cheap? Lol..

I'll also respond to the point you raised about not using it on your lap... actually its the best laptop i can think of to use on your lap as it pulls air from the sides and not under you.

Anyway you're obviously entitled not to buy it. But i'll correct you and say performance is very enjoyable under mountain lion. I'm getting very smooth scrolling on the majority of pages, and those with more information / plugins still run pretty well.

It's miles better than Lion.

Pluses imho and i'm a long standing computer user, about this machine in general

- Ipad meets Notebook, for the better
    - working on this screen is absolutely amazing
    - cooling system is unparalleled in any laptop i've ever used
    - sound system is unparallelled in any laptop i've ever used
    - battery life is great
    - performance is very fast. once you get OSX set up with all the plugins and updates the effects of safari 6 and the optimisations of both safari 6 and mountain lion start making the whole experience come together.

The scrolling really is so smooth now. it can be better but even the ipad jerks around as it processes. You can tell this machine is flash based and the cpu/gpu are spinning as fast as the information is being delivered from the NIC card :)

I'm really pleased with the machine. i think its a new way of processing multimedia and apple have a good approach they will keep refining. the GPU on this thing is a beast for older games at 2880x1800. what an experience to see gta san andrea get chewed up at this res :)

Webcam is also very good in low light. the screen is so soft on your eyes and I'm doomed to continue to be an internet addict

14. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Not to start a silly war but why are most of the "underwhelmed" comments coming from people with a cMBP in their sig?

15. Greg M macrumors 6502

Good point.

16. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Because some of us just recently went shopping and compared the two...

17. illini71 macrumors member

I was hoping for a retina in a MBP body. The new design is a sore spot for me, they take away the superdrive, ethernet for a slimmer sleeker body. I find no real innovation in the rMBP body! The screen is nice but the pro should be just that a professional grade hardware, if something breaks or it needs to upgraded well you have 2100+ dud.

I will stick with the MBP and the new iPad for which i use all the time!

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What someone currently owns has no bearing on their ability to look at new models and decide what they like.

19. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

I was at the Apple store today to compare the different macbooks as I'm leaving for college in about two weeks and need a new computer. While I was impressed with the clarity of the retina screen, it's not enough to sway me away from my decision to move away from 15" notebooks. I've been hauling around a 15" PC that's on its last limbs and honestly the weight and thickness of it don't bother me at all, it's just the footprint that's too big and cumbersome. I admit it was pretty awesome picking up a 15" computer that didn't feel like a sack of bricks, but when I placed the rMBP next to the 13" MBA I still went for the MBA. I honestly think it's just seeing the footprint of the rMBP that turns me away, and besides, I don't really need the graphics power the rMBP offers anyway or the quad core processor.

20. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

^ This is a joke right? :rolleyes:

21. whdigital macrumors regular

I bought a 2011 and then waited for June 11 announcement. Had ample opportunity to compare - in person and hands on, both the new models (cMBP & Retina). There's no sore loser here - the cMBP in my sig was more money than the rMBP, especially after I upgraded it with a Hybrid HD and more RAM. Bottom line is I didn't like the Retina and how it handled scaling and the impact is has on the GPU. Period. Not ready for Primetime IMHO.

22. Greg M macrumors 6502

You'll love the MBA. I had one before I got my retina. The only reason that I sold it was because I wanted (will need soon) a 15" screen.

23. Tibits macrumors regular

Yep, to suggest otherwise is just plain denial. I own both, precisely calibrated and the retina wins hands down at all resolutions. Also, screen aside the machine just rocks.

24. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes but your comments seem a little "hater-ish" when you consider the fact that they are essentially the same computer - two 15" MacBook Pros that run OS X. Sure one is lighter, one has a better screen, but they both serve essentially the same purpose of computing in a 15" format.

If a person decides to eat a cheeseburger from Mcdonald's instead of Burger King, one can state they like McDonald's more but they won't go on to say the BK is bad cuz the grill marks on the burger aren't uniform and the cheese is off-center. They would just concentrate on eating. Same if one buys an Accord instead of a Camry. They will focus more on their purchase rather than make a laundry list of how Toyota's logo isn't as nice as Honda's.

Your points seem to be nitpicky more than constructive criticism.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why would you think that's a joke? Are you suggesting that what computer someone currently owns has some effect on their ability to look at new models and decide what they prefer?