Omnipresence of white iPad in Marketing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Inopia-Vi, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

I just noticed that from all the images, the black iPad seems to be less and less present on the apple website. I find it odd because a few months ago, they sent a notice to developers to use black iPhone when presenting their apps. Are we seeing a trend to go back to white or is it only a change from the 2 last generations of iPads... What do you think?

List:

Front page of Apple: White iPad (Resolutionary)
    Tv ads and new iPad video: All white
    Features page; All white but dictation, airplay and smart cover section

Howerver, in the built-in apps and iCloud tabs, black is back...

2. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i guarantee it wasn't a random decision to primarily use the white ipad on the apple website. it looks better, cleaner, and blends in with the white apple background and emphasizes what's on the ipad screen more.

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

White is the new black.

4. Richard Peters macrumors regular

Richard Peters

Agreed, white looks very clean and 'fresh' which makes it initially look more appealing to the average viewer.

5. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I agree with above. The white iPad just looks more elegant, putting aside pluses or minuses of distraction in watching movies. I think Apple wants to show off its products as unique, and showing them in black as every other piece of electronics already is in the marketplace doesn't do that.

A white object is also more revealing and eye catching than dark objects in marketing and advertising.

6. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It's to stand out and show the uniqueness of apple. Most devices are black.

7. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

White is more Apple's style, it appeals to their mass audience (non professional)

8. maclook macrumors 65816

You're not the first person to say that but, come on, that makes no sense at all.

9. Inopia-Vi thread starter macrumors regular

You are wright, it was not a random choice. But, don't you find it suprising, after all those years on black iOS in black while there was the *option* of getting it white, now the *option* is put at the front line of the product.

Time change but a logical interpretation would be that the next iPhone will feature a white one...

10. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

How so? the "consumer" macbook has always been white with a white bezel, while the "pro" macbook has always been aluminum with a black bezel. (of course up until they discontinued the white macbook, but even now the Macbook Air has a aluminum bezel around the screen, while the "pro" models have a black bezel)

11. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I think this is exactly right. For better or worse, the form factor for the tablet is a large glass rectangle. The majority of devices out there are black, so marketing the white helps distinguish iPad from others.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

A majority of consumers still equate white electronics with Apple, so it's definitely for marketing. I personally would never buy a white iPad or iPhone though.

13. Inopia-Vi thread starter macrumors regular

Same for me, I think white was great a decade ago but now, white look too much plastic-ish, it doesn't feel like a high-end product. Black make product bold and simple, very apple-like as white make them joyfull and exiting. Not that this is bad, but is doesn't feel right for certain people.

14. miraclehobo macrumors member

15. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that a sudden predominance of the white iPad in Apple's marketing emphasizes the impression of a brand new model and product. Even though the white model isn't new, obviously, it's seeing it in this new way in place of the previously emphasized black model that makes even just the concept of this new product seem extra bright (like the display!) and new.

16. zpilot macrumors member

I ordered a white one. If I don't like it, I'll just exchange for the "standard" black.

17. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I see your point of view. But for me, black is old, depressing-looking, and tired, and very 80's and 90's. It's the "color" du jour by every electronics manufacturer out there for decades. To me, white is refreshing, and as someone said here, "white is the new black".

18. zpilot macrumors member

I'm contemplating whether I should cancel the white and go for the black... *sigh*

19. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Dude its all personal preference, don't let these guys get you down for what you wanted!

20. jsf721 macrumors 6502

white shows up better on a black screen. For me my personal opinion is that the white is distracting woth watching a movie. the black kind of blends to the picture. Maybe it just my but it is just my 2 cents.

21. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

I like my iPad the same way I like my TV - Black. Great for movies.

22. Inopia-Vi thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly, media look better with a black bezel but I have to admit that text look better on white, it does feel more like a book when the device is white. About that, I was suprised that the book part was not as much emphatize on the commercial apart from: "text look razor sharp":rolleyes:

23. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

It differentiates it from last generation. They did the same thing with the iPhone 4S. Visually, they look the same, so white in marketing instead of black draws attention to it as something new compared to the ads people have been used to over the last year

24. Signor S. macrumors member

Apple is a standout company. They make many products that distinguish themselves from their competitors. By showing the white iPad in their TV commercials and on their website they show they're not one of those same tech companies that produce a product in traditional black garb. Apple is a rebel company. They think outside the box and know what does and doesn't look good in the technology they let out.

25. i0Nic macrumors 65816

That's why they asked developers to stop using the white iPad/iPhone in their marketing, because they want to reserve it for their own marketing purposes.