On 10.6.8 and want to upgrade...but not to Mavericks. Possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gmas, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Gmas macrumors member

I'm currently running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on my MacBook Pro (specs below) and am completely happy with it, except I'm finding more and more that new programs and updates are requiring 10.7 at minimum.

I know that Mavericks is free, however reading about the many issues and warnings against installing in the App Store have me nervous. I love the way my Macbook operates right now....essentially just want to be able to most new programs and updates.

Is it possible to upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8 instead of all the way to 10.9? I know this can't be done via the App Store any longer.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can give OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion a go via this.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

4. Gmas thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much to both of you for your help and responses - exactly what I was looking for.

Now just trying to determine if it would be safer to go that route....or hope that the people having issues with Mavericks are a small minority and I'd most likely be fine with it and not experience any major issues.

5. Alkaid macrumors member

What sort of programs are you trying to run or are getting reports of needing to run on 10.7+?

I've got an old 2007 Macbook that I've upgraded through the years and now sits at running Lion. I'd say if you had the option, you could start at Lion and see how the machine runs with that as the OS. (If you've got an extra HD, that would be perfect to install and test Lion on) I know my computer wasn't recommended to use Mountain Lion so I've been on Lion ever since with few major issues.

6. Tomr182 macrumors member

I have had the same as Alkaid, but I still think it ran far smoother with Snow Leopard. Lion is good as you say for being able to access more programmes, but my Mac certainly ran more slowly with Lion.

7. meson macrumors regular

Like the others, I would stay with Snow Leopard. After upgrading my old Early 2008 2.4GHz MacBook to Lion, it was sluggish. Finally after a minor HD hiccup, I went with a fresh SL installation, and it was like a brand new machine. I couldn't have been happier until my 1 year old spilled tea through the exhaust ports on the back of the machine and killed it.

After that I upgraded to a new 13" Late 2012 MacBook Pro with intentions to upgrade to my RAM and HDD->SSD when the budget allows. Frankly, the old white MacBook felt snappier than the new machine at day to day tasks.

Mavericks is growing on me, but I long for the SL implementation of Spaces, but wish I could combine it with Mavericks' memory management.

8. simsaladimbamba

Give TotalSpaces a try, while not as good as Spaces, it is still better than Mission Control.