On a lighter note.....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Apr 14, 2018.

1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

100,000 years from now, all that will be left of our civilization is the Gorilla Glass from our phones.

Future archeologists will determine that we must have worshiped these screens.:D

[​IMG]

Seriously, put down the damned phone once in a while.:p

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

To deepen the lighter mood I do wonder about these devices.... are they the cause or symptom of anxious people using their phones in social situations? And then I remember the old photo of people reading newspapers en masse on trains.

I improved my life dramatically by disabling notifications completely from all social media apps so that it didn’t even show the number of notifications on the app icon. Oh and enabling anti spam services on my many email accounts... all that combined and I spend maybe half an hour a day on my phone usually just when I wake up or go to bed. It’s all good man!

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

It gets weirder when you notice people over the age of 70 glued to their phones. It used to be your elders showing you dumb stuff on the internet 20 years ago. Now, I get a weekly email chock full of YouTube links from my oldest nephew. Most are boring, some interesting, and a few really weird.

The Internet used to be fun to use. Now it's a chore to do anything.

5. cube macrumors Pentium

Is people just expected to wait doing nothing in that long line?

6. Zenithal macrumors 604

Back in the day, people used to love talking to each other! Total strangers at that. At least in America they do. Decades living here and I still find the practice exciting. It isn't as if you stood in line, staring straight ahead or clutching your rosary if you were a nun.

7. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

......and using "Reader View" for all articles definitely reduces the temptation to get distracted by clicking attention grabbing links to other sites. That alone has reduced my time on the internet.:)

8. Zenithal macrumors 604

I've never gotten used to the portion sizes, though. Except quality steak. The more prime beef, the merrier I am.

9. cube macrumors Pentium

It has been very common to be silently bored in a queue for many decades at least.

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

I sometimes do this whilst reading explosive PRSI threads. Though, usually I can tell whose post I'm reading because of the writing style. If it's a load of codswallop, I can guess two or three people and am right 70% of the time.

Airport bar, 'nuff said.

11. RedKite macrumors regular

RedKite

Yes yes yes! Reader view is great for moments when internet goes down when travelling too. Big fan of that. Apple News app is also great so now I don’t just have to check the BBC, CNN, and Sky News apps nor do I have to check my twitter news feed from BBC, independent, guardian, cnn, Sky, Reuters. All in one place! Lovely!

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Frightening for sure.

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Back in the day I always had a paperback on me so people wouldn't talk to me. I will probably take that habit up again since people will talk to you even if you have a phone in your hand.

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

That’s called retirement. First thing in the trash will be the work cell phone. I’ll have a cell because you need one these days, but that one that rings at all hours is toast.

15. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

My son and I kid all the time, that one day Youtube will go down, and know one will remember how to do anything.

I find myself doing it all the time, when I need to fix something, if I can't find a video on how to do it, it seem like a drag to have to figure it out by myself. Tho I have decades of fixit knowledge under my belt.

Really, it's not so much different than going to a book to guide you through what to do, however books don't have batteries that need recharging, nor do they require an internet connection.

It's a tool, like anything else, we may find ourselves leaning on it too much, it does tend to remove people from good personal skills, but then the auto removed us from good equestrian skills.

I don't know, maybe one day, people will forget how to speak altogether, we'll have to text each other everything we wan to say. That may not be all bad, as the mind is a funny thing, when it comes to memory, we often tend to remember some things the way we wanted them to be, rather than as they actually were.

How many times have we found ourselves in an argument over what we said, vs. what someone else heard us say?

16. Zenithal, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

There's more of you? And that would be the day Vimeo and DailyMotion celebrate with champagne.

My oldest nephew grew up in a time where a lot of then-tech faded out. His younger brother... not so much. The age gap is to blame.

My other nephew and niece are much younger but I suspect when they become teenagers they won't remember much of the current or the past. I very much doubt our kids will know anything of today's or the past's tech. Relegating it to the word "ancient."

With people moving towards streaming, some kids grow up not knowing what a commercial is. :confused:

17. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

It’s pretty sad. You see it on the NYC subway where somebody will switch on their phone, scroll a bit, then switch it off, all because they have no updates from whatever website. It can’t be healthy dealing with such constant mental rejection to only be fulfilled by those few euphoric moments when you do feel special. The anonymity of idleness.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2018 ---
    This will be the death of our cognitive abilities. Those parts of the brain will quickly have dying cells as they’re not used. Evolution will turn us into zombies within two generations.

18. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

19. jerwin macrumors 68020

Why not enjoy the delicate ambiance of standing in line at an airport food court, instead of reading an ebook?

20. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Well, their is a difference, the main one being the it is interactive in a way print isn't. You can challenge what you read without having to send a letter to the editor.

It's real time, and it helps us better shape our agreements, get a better understanding of an issue.

I get all my news here in PRSI, from the things people link and discuss, a lot of times it seems like I'm trolling, but really I like to play devil's advocate, try and take people out of their comfort zone, make them think outside the box.

The world is a better place when we stop believing what we are told.

21. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Prove it. :D

22. chown33 macrumors 604

This assertion is something I'm being told. So if I don't believe it, the world is a better place.

But then that confirms the assertion, so it would make sense to believe it.

But believing what we're told makes the world a worse place.

All PRSI posts are lies.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Do you expect anything less at a Chik-FilA in a mall? :oops:

Could you let us know where this was taken, so we can avoid that place? I mean, seriously, I'd rather go to a mall to congregate and conversate, not be stuck in our own little world. This is culturally sad..

BL.

24. Zenithal macrumors 604

Seems you and I are getting old. Looking back at the photo, not a single person looks like they're older than 20. Aside from that and wondering what the hell a Taco Cabana is, I figured it's likely one of those fancy college campus fast food places. Funny. When most of us were in college sometime in the last century, we actually had to walk a few blocks, maybe a mile, to get some grub. Today's kids can just hop from their dorm to some 24/7 crapshoot.

25. cube macrumors Pentium

The sign says "Express". What's express about that?