On a scale of 1-10 how overhyped was Siri by Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dba415, Dec 20, 2011.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

I'd say a solid 8, Apple marketing overhyped Siri to be way more useful and effective than it is in its current form. It seems like people who don't have the 4S are more enamored with Siri than people who do own one and have tried using it for actual productivity instead of messing around.

2. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I'd say 4, but I'm not one to piss & moan too often. I mainly use Siri for adding reminders and appointments, writing the occasional text, and for switching music with earphones in. For me, it's been working great and makes me that much happier I upgraded.

3. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

4. shikari89 macrumors member

shikari89

Meh...5. I find it very useful for some things like setting reminders and changing music. Other things like texting are a bit harder for it. It never understands half the things I say. I think it is overhyped, but I still have fun playing with her :)

5. gtx281 macrumors newbie

I find it pretty useful; I just forget it's there half the time!

6. Mr Baldman macrumors member

Mr Baldman

I'd say an 8. it is more hassle than its worth, and gets most things wrong.

While i have read a few articles online about people finding it "really useful in day to day life" i have yet to meet one person in 'the real world' that holds the same view.

I and 4 others at work find it rarely understands exactly what you are saying. Same with a few friends. When you get it to write a text message it gets it wrong, and you end up spending more time correcting the message than you would just typing it out. Same for reminders etc...

totally overhyped.

7. Faux Carnival macrumors 6502a

You don't? :D

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I Like Siri and find it works fine

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I could have sworn Apple said it was Beta. In some report they mentioned it several times. So I would give it a high number because it's a Beta. But then again... there is something similar to this in their line of computers so I would think it would be more functional than what it is. On the other hand this is Apple... and we know they could market the heck out of anything. If they packaged a popcicle stick it would be hot. Not right now but around Versions 2 or 3. :D

10. xorjo macrumors member

Easily an 8 or 9. I only use it to show it off and the occasional text but besides that, siri is a hassle...

And the whole "she's in beta" thing is really getting old. Thats not an excuse. If you advertise it, then you better hope it performs well... and more often than not, it doesn't understand me or is unavailable... I'd trade siri for a larger screen in a heart beat...

11. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Server load if all 4s users can crash the servers imagine if other iOS devices joined the party....

12. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

Overhyped? I don't think so. Everyone can expect better screen resolution, better cameras, faster processors, etc... with a new phone model. But this was a whole new piece of technology coming into the arena and they decided to show it off. Siri has already prompted other companies to come out with their own "assistant" style software. Just another step in the mobile phone technology evolution. It was something new that people really hadn't seen before so that's why Apple chose to show it off more than the other added/upgraded features.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I tend to agree ... at least in the low 7 range because it's still in "beta". You'd figure by now it would be out of that stage.

14. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I love Siri. I wish I could find a woman like her in real life that speaks only when spoken to lol.

15. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I'd say like 8.

It's pretty useless at this point.

16. GP_1 macrumors regular

5... Some people really like it and use it a lot.

17. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Also, I believe the 4S has a has a new sensor above the ear speaker than senses when phone is raised to the ear to activate Siri.

18. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

This is not new technology. It is the same technology that has been around for a couple of years now. The only difference is it is triggered with contextual triggers instead of a specific command, and they added some extra triggers/commands. While yes it is nice (to a degree), it's hardly anything new.

19. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'm pretty sure that's just the proximity sensor in combination with the accelerometer which are on all iPhones.

20. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Because it is very useful and works very well.

I would give it a 7 out of 10 for features. It sometimes doesn't connect and it could do more.

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Unless you normalize with respect to how much Apple hypes things in general, in which case 5.

22. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

No. It's the IR sensor added to the 4S. But yes, it also uses the accelerometer and IR detects the phone at the ear to allow to speak to Siri.

http://www.tipb.com/2011/11/09/infrared-led-lets-siri/

23. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I would say 4 as it actually is something useful and a good idea.

24. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

I guess it was hyped a good amount but part of the hype also comes from us blowing the thing out of proportion in our heads and coming in with high expectations for a beta software.

I do agree that those commercials that focus solely on Siri are a bit unwarranted as it is still Beta software.