on a scale of 1-10

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Harmush, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Money is an inanimate object. It cannot be corrupt. That's like asking "On a scale of 1-10, how corrupt is a toaster?"

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Zero.

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Depends on which side of the fence you're on. I'd say from 1-10.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Money is a powerful force that can corrupt some very easily. Yet others, it takes a lot more.

In some circles, they would say that money corrupts all. Finding the threshold is the individual's level key.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

money tears relationships apart, esp if you lend to family and friends

money causes people to judge others. if you have alot, people will value your opinion more than if you have little. i hate it

money is what enables the rich to get richer and the poor to stay poorer as those with money only look out for their interests

i hate money
    i hate money
    i hate money

also, on a lighter note

money=sqrt(evil) "root of all evil"
    time=money
    girls= time*money
    girls=money^2
    girls=evil

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Money is not evil; it's impossible for it to be. The love of money is evil. Money is a necessity in the world we live in, just like food and water.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Then I love evil.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh me too lol

10. Greenhoe macrumors regular

I always thought the rich got richer from hardwork and being smart? The poor usually do not have the hard work ethic or if they do the smarts to get out of poverty.

While this is true there are always exceptions (Paris Hilton) but for the most case if your poor and are smart and want it bad enough you'll come out on top.

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

If girls are evil, then that must mean guys are good. I love good. :D

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Money isn't corrupt, it's what you do with it that counts.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

those that start off in a poor life takes exponentially more effort to succeed than those that are born well off

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ok ill have to edit girl to relationships as it applies right haha

15. Greenhoe macrumors regular

I wish I grew up with less money. My parents make enough money to not be in debt, but not enough to help my with school, so instead I don't get any money off school and work my ass off to not take out student loans. Compared to some of my friends who's parents don't make nearly as much money and the Tax Payers pay for their school.

Bottom line is smart hard working people doesn't matter where you come from will come out out on top if you avoid the vices and stay out of trouble.

16. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

On a scale of 1-10

Do you think this thread title could have been more vague?

17. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

That is the exact same situation that I am in with my parents and school. I guess we are stuck with that "in between" financial situation where we don't get help from either side. :( ugh

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats a lil naive

the schools the poor go to are not near the same level in opportunities and quality education that those who live in better areas receive. that it makes it much harder

likewise, thos in poor families do not have the convience on focusing soley on school, athletics, what have you as their family situation may require them to help out the family fincailly

bottom line: the environment you live in has a pretty significant impact on opportunities to become successful

there are just as many smart (iq wise at least),hardworking people in poor families as in more well to do. however, those that are well to do certianly have a much much higher success rate in life in financial terms

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

every school has merit based scholarships you know so fam finances dont even play into it

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's true of any corrupting influence. Center court Lakers tickets? Hot prostitutes? A new wing for your Alaskan villa? Enough cash to stuff a freezer with? Most people have one or more of these kinds of weaknesses, all it takes is someone with the motive and means to find and exploit them...

Yeah, it's almost as if these two just didn't "want it" bad enough. I mean, the opportunity was there and all, they must just have been too lazy to make something of what was available to them, and are now simply complaining about how it's all someone else's fault, rather than taking personal responsibility for their decisions...

;)

21. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

That is true, and I probably could have gotten a few, but I was too lazy to apply. I guess I reap what I sew. :)

22. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I do love that somewhere along the line, someone, somewhere, managed to wiggle that into society, we technically don't need money, but it's just become a part of society.

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I'd says it's relative importance for happiness and contentment are about a 3. Our perception is much higher though.

24. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

We technically very well do. The kind of specialization required for any modern society demands an abstract language of valuation. I have no idea if you are considering a specific alternative or just hand-waving, so I won't get into a long preemptive diatribe.

We don't necessarily need the beast that global finance has become in exactly the form it has taken, or even to follow the same basic rules, but if we threw out money today, we'd have to turn around and invent it again tomorrow.

25. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

one

1 if I understand the question right?