Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollweevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I am hoping to preorder an iPhone 5 as soon as the preorders open, and apparently I can use my grandmother's upgrade (I have permission). How exactly do I go about doing this? My grandmother and I (among other people) are on the same AT&T family plan.

Thanks.

JLemm

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
I am hoping to preorder an iPhone 5 as soon as the preorders open, and apparently I can use my grandmother's upgrade (I have permission). How exactly do I go about doing this? My grandmother and I (among other people) are on the same AT&T family plan.

Thanks.

When you log into apples site tonight or AT&T just click on their phone and click upgrade, click the iphone 5 and check out.

papahemi

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Once you have the phone, can you set it up to your number

not the other family? I ask because you can't switch sim cards as the 5 has new nano sim. What's the protocol here, anyone? Thanks.

ssh

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
I used another phone on our plan and plan to call when the phone arrives to get it on my number. Last time, they were smarter than this and could tell at least one of the lines was eligible. This time, no. Dumb.

Cnercessian

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2012

Thanks.

I called ATT and they told me they can do something called "Cross Activation" so i bought the phone on another lines upgrade and just have to call them to activate it on my line instead of just doing it on the phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.