On BlackBerry 10s 1st anniversary, BlackBerry’s U.S. market share hits 0%

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by AutoUnion39, Jan 31, 2014.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

http://bgr.com/2014/01/30/blackberry-us-market-share/

[​IMG]

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

3. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Blackberry doesn't sell much this days. Having 0% market share in the us is very believable. They sold roughly 4 million handsets worldwide in Q3, with a majority going to African and Southeast Asian sectors, living very little sales for US and Europe.
    If Apple and Samsung each sold 40milliom handsets for North American and a Blackberry sold 100k, that is 0% market share.

4. 11HipMacMobile2 macrumors newbie

That's too bad because I find my Blackberry 10 device to be amazing actually. Too add to this post, having the ability to run android apps makes BB10 pretty awesome. It's like having the security of iOS with the openness of Android. I think that previous statement puts it into perspective of what BB10 is capable of.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can't say that I'm really surprised by this.

6. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Thats one of the reasons why I'm eyeing the Blackberry line, hopefully they'll still be around in a year.

7. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

Wow i was thinking of getting a bb over android and windows something about it i like.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

I can probably pick up a Z10 for cheap now a days and use it as a backup or primary, if you like. Plus, you can use the Android Platform Store for apps. I've seen Z10s for under $200.

9. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

i have to see how bb moves forward looks like they are going to go after corp and gov usage and not stay in the consumer market. but all this is unknown until we see what they do for now i have to decide between the os's and since its a 2nd phone i have time.

10. cube macrumors G5

Blackberry is not abandoning the consumer market.

Instead of 6 devices for this year, they now plan 2 premium and 1 low cost phone.

The premium will be handled by BlackBerry, the low cost by Foxconn.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They may not be, but consumers and to an extent carriers are.

12. Savor Suspended

Savor

I actually thought about getting a BlackBerry Bold 9900 released in 2011 as that was one of the best-looking phones ever released from BlackBerry (formerly known as RIM).

Then I realized what's the point? BBM is already cross platform. No SwiftKey. Weak collection of apps. Stick to Android.

13. cube macrumors G5

USA is not the world

14. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

There are others? :eek:

:rolleyes:

15. 11HipMacMobile2 macrumors newbie

Haha :p The Bold 9900 is a really nice looking device. :cool:

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'd love to own a BB10 device, but they're simply priced out of my budget; this "low cost" future device is intriguing, but I can't help but get the feeling BlackBerry's idea of low cost and mine are quite the distance apart. :rolleyes:

17. FFR macrumors 6502a

FFR

Actually they did abandon the consumer market.

18. (Chanticleer) macrumors newbie

I am sure their BB10 is good, and that the handsets themselves are well built. However, their brand is complete crap, and no traction. Someone really should just scoop them up and use the patents and foothold in enterprise.

19. maxwelltech macrumors 6502

maxwelltech

:(Blackberry used to be one of the most prestige manufacturers for phones before the iPhone came out, and even maintained that for a while after the iPhone came out. Unfortunately they were too satisfied with their success at the time to adapt to the new innovations. Now they finally woke up and started pushing out large touchscreen smartphones, but it is already too late for them.

This is not the first time we have seen a company collapse because of a lack of adaptedness, nor will it be the last one.

20. FFR macrumors 6502a

FFR

Except that bb10 is a mess, as an operating system, and the devices are of very low quality.

21. cube macrumors G5

No.

You sound like an anti-BB shill.

22. albertfallickwa macrumors 6502a

albertfallickwa

I played around BB10 at the store and found it way confusing in the UI and the least consumer friendly OS. What a total mess.

Not very intuitive. Android is way better to use particularly stock.

23. cube macrumors G5

It is not a mess. The little booklet in the packaging explains you the basic gestures (there are more which I haven't bothered to learn).

24. FFR macrumors 6502a

FFR

Classic

I'm not a shill, perhaps your projecting.

25. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

As a longtime BB user, I've found Samsung's devices are of very low quality. BBs are plastic, so are Galaxies yet Galaxies feel like crap.