On iOS 5, want to downgrade back to 4.XX

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jhkaplan, Aug 25, 2011.

1. jhkaplan macrumors regular

I'm currently on the most recent beta build of iOS 5, and I'd like to downgrade back to the latest 4.XX build. As far as I can see, I should just be able to download the latest 4.XX build and option-click restore to it since it's still signed, but does anyone have an idea what will happen with my backups? Will I be able to restore from one of the backups from iOS 5, or is my only option to pretty much set up as new? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think once you upgrade to iOS 5 you can't go back, have to wait for the full iOS 5 release now.

3. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

You can downgrade to 4.3.5 like with the method you mentioned. Your backups wont work. Use iphoneexplorer (free) and manually pull files from any of the apps you use while in beta 5.0. Then when you are downgraded to 4.3.5, use iphoneexplorer again to put the files back in those same folders.

4. gatortpk macrumors 6502

I had upgraded an iPhone 3GS to iOS 5 then back to iOS 4.2.1 without a single problem. I do believe, iOS 4.3.x was out at the time, I just hadn't upgraded yet. I don't remember the details, as this was done with beta 1 or 2 of iOS 5 a while ago. (the details of how I did this, I think I just used the older version of iTunes and my "just then recent iTunes backup sync before upgrading to iOS 5")

5. dreams macrumors newbie

I downgraded my 3GS from iOS5b4 to 4.3.5 with the normal dfu+shift restore method. Only thing, the backup from iOS5 doesnt work with iOS4. Need to downgrade iTunes too to 10.4

6. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I too have downloaded from 5.6 to 4.3.5 via dfu with no problems.
    However I didn't try to restore in the hopes that my "restore" may have been corrupted and part of the reason my 5.6 wasn't working properly.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

8. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I downgraded because a newspaper app that I was a subscriber to "the times" had not worked since beta1, I lasted till beta beta6 but I had huge problems after the beta 6 upgrade(OTA) where I lost all my photos and music files wouldn't sync properly.

I used iPhone explorer and had a look through my ipad2 and it looked like some of my folders were corrupted (doubles, blanks etc) .... So I went back to the slow 4.3.5 ..... It's by no means better but slightly more stable (obviously) and allows me to use my iPad for the practical use that I could do up until 5.05 but not after 5.06

I don't like tab browsing either.
    I so wish i could redesign this aspect as I have a few ideas..

9. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i just tried to downgrade from iOS 5 b6 and it worked flawlessly just put it in DFU mode on the computer i used to downgrade it has 10.4.1 on it and i just hit restore it told me it needed to download 4.2.10 after it downloaded it installed perfectly.

i did it at work so i lost all my contacts till i get home :(.

10. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

But if you downgrade you won't be able to bug test your app for the future os :rolleyes:

11. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

I went from 5b6 to 4.35 and back to 5b6 .... While it was nice to have stability and things working better in iOS 4.35 , I had forgotten just how slow safari was and how many glitches it had compared to a regular browser.

So I am back to beta, it's definitely not perfect and can't get my photos in my album to work .... And "the times" app don't work .......
    But it's a joy to use a browser that doesn't checker board or have text boxes that don't work.

iOS 5 is going to be really good when it's ready, and a vast improvement.
    Apart from safari tabs which IMHO should auto hide like the bookmarks.

12. jhkaplan thread starter macrumors regular

How do I downgrade itunes? I tried to delete it, tried to applcleaner it, tried to just install over it, but it wont let me remove the beta itunes off my computer...

----------

Nevermind, false alarm. I think I've got it.

13. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

You don't need to downgrade iTunes. The beta of iTunes works perfectly well with the current (4.x.x) iOS releases.

How do I know this? I have 4 iOS devices running iOS 5 and 2 running 4.3.5 all on the same iTunes (beta 7)