On monday Steve will present...

escwindos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
A Quad Processor G4

I really think that after all rumors and posts on the apple homepage, that the only thing with matches every sentence is a quad processor G4. Let's say 4x 1Gighz.!?!
MacOS X is able to handle 4 or even 8 processors, so that would be the right decission instead of trying to beat the AMD scale (what isn't really necessary --> Megahertz Myth!).
That would be really maclike!

Please Steve!!! :)

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
Mac OS 10 can handle 32 processors!

Maybe we will se a 32ish (how would you say that word?) processor powermac?

G

guitarlesson

Why not? However....

A quad processor PPC, rockin' as it may be, would be very, very, very, very expensive. (note I said "very" 4 times.) Perhaps instead of a 1ghz x4 configuration, a 533Mhz x4 would make more sense. After all, thats a combined power of well over 2 Ghz. Makes my DP 533 seem wimpy. I'd want one.

On another note, a quad, or even 8 processor power mac would fit a market that was speculated over around this time six months ago. Namely, high-end rack-mounted web servers running OS X with Apache. Mac really needs to get in on the buisiness market, and a Rackmount server might be the route to go. Also, an 8 chip rackmount may even attract yet more super high-end multimedia companies, like Maya, into the mac camp.

(PS... Did you know theres a computer at Lucasfilm with over 700 processors?? Unreal!!! Why is it that they couldn't make Jar Jar suck a little less with all that power?)

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Re: Mac OS 10 can handle 32 processors!

Originally posted by dantec
Maybe we will se a 32ish (how would you say that word?) processor powermac?
Hmm... tricatuple would be 30. I dunno, tricatuple plus a couple more?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Is that a floppy drive? It looks to thin to be a zip drive. I can't imagine Apple will start putting flippy drives in their computers again :)

I

iCinder

Since i got my iBook i have never needed a floppy disk drive. When i went to make my AMD machine i decided to not buy one and save my money. It was definately a good decision.