Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcadia310

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
I'm on my 3rd 'new' iPad. Nothing was wrong with my previous ones, I just went from 64GB Wifi to a 32GB Verizon and today 64GB Verizon which I'm settling with. Just like everyone else, however, I noticed the screen on my first two 'new' iPads were really warm, much warmer in temp than my iPad 2. I'm not a big fan of that and enjoy the cooler colors.

I went to go pickup my 64GB Verizon today and upon booting it up noticed that the colors seemed much cooler than my previous iPads. Thinking it was just a placebo effect, I shrugged it off. Now that I'm home I put it side by side with my other 'new' iPad and my iPad 2 and I see a pretty substantial difference in colors. First off, the stock wallpaper looks much bluer than it does on my other 'new' iPad, pretty much on par with the iPad 2. On my other 'new' iPad, the stock wallpaper has a strange yellowish warm tint to it. White pages definitely have more of a blue tint to them, but it isn't overwhelming at all and looks REALLY good. Very glad I got this one as I'm finally totally happy with the colors, although it is weird how some screens are super warm and others are normal.

I tried to take pictures but my camera won't do it justice. Wish I had a DSLR.

jicka

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
I'm on my 3rd 'new' iPad. Nothing was wrong with my previous ones, I just went from 64GB Wifi to a 32GB Verizon and today 64GB Verizon which I'm settling with. Just like everyone else, however, I noticed the screen on my first two 'new' iPads were really warm, much warmer in temp than my iPad 2. I'm not a big fan of that and enjoy the cooler colors.

I went to go pickup my 64GB Verizon today and upon booting it up noticed that the colors seemed much cooler than my previous iPads. Thinking it was just a placebo effect, I shrugged it off. Now that I'm home I put it side by side with my other 'new' iPad and my iPad 2 and I see a pretty substantial difference in colors. First off, the stock wallpaper looks much bluer than it does on my other 'new' iPad, pretty much on par with the iPad 2. On my other 'new' iPad, the stock wallpaper has a strange yellowish warm tint to it. White pages definitely have more of a blue tint to them, but it isn't overwhelming at all and looks REALLY good. Very glad I got this one as I'm finally totally happy with the colors, although it is weird how some screens are super warm and others are normal.

I tried to take pictures but my camera won't do it justice. Wish I had a DSLR.

Your lucky man. I hope my 3rd one is good, my first 2 both had yellow tint at the top of the screen pretty bad.

Arcadia310

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Your lucky man. I hope my 3rd one is good, my first 2 both had yellow tint at the top of the screen pretty bad.

Yeah. I almost convinced myself it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. But once I saw the screen on my 3rd one I was really surprised.

AppChat

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
U people traded in ur iPads 3 times ???

U do realize the yellow tint goes away after a few days

iPhone four had same issue

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
I have the 64gb verizon and mine is cold too, I only have an issue with the color yellow, if you take a picture of something yellow like a banana does it come close to what you see? Mine is extremely white lemon in color.

The warmer screens seem to reproduce yellows more accurately.

ClarkWGrizwald

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
This thread made me throw up a little in my mouth. For the record, NOBODY returned their iPad 3 times because they weren't smart enough to actually RESEARCH a product before they bought it. Not EVERYBODY... Only 5 or 6 forum users here did...

jicka

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
U people traded in ur iPads 3 times ???

U do realize the yellow tint goes away after a few days

iPhone four had same issue

I traded mine once and have had my second one for 4 days now. I have left it on full brightness all night and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I had yellow blotches on my iPhone 4 that went away but the yellow on my iPad seems more like the yellow 27 inch iMac I have that never went away. I'm going to give it a week and return this one too of it doesn't get better.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I noticed my new iPad had a cool color temp from the start. About the same as my iPad and iPad 2 at home, maybe a touch cooler even. I need to fire up the Spyder 3 and measure them all.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Same experience. I exchanged my first one for dead pixels; it was very yellow, the replacement is the same color temperature as my iPad 2.

I know people are saying it's a curing issue that resolves, but I'm skeptical. Past curing issues caused blotchy yellow, not an even tint. This looked more like the yellow screen issue that affected the iMacs.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
It's gotta be the number 3. Ya, know 3's the charm?

3 is a lucky number. :)

Try returning it again. 4 is unlucky (it will have issues). 5- your insane. 6 and your dead. 7 your in heaven :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.