Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrAWESOME247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
My WiFi connection keeps getting dropped even though the connections running fine with my other devices, when i wake the Phone it's gone then it either pops back on or i have to go and turn it on myself. , had the same issue with the last Phone , hell even the Genius at the apple store noticed the Wifi problem and call problem on the last phone. , i did 4 restores and 1 network reset to the last phone and absolutely NOT doing it again , really am sick of doing a restore at this point

On top of all that when i try and call anyone, all i get is calling no ringing sound what so ever and then i press the speaker button, the voice or the ringing comes back :confused::confused::confused: other times i get ringing but no sound and i press the speaker then the sound comes on.

Got an appointment at the Apple Store tommorow for the 4th time , really tired of constantly going there with problems.

What do you guys think i should do ?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is NO WAY to treat Mr. Awesome! ****ERS!

Really, do the genius bar folks see the issue or are you pressing them to just hand over another phone?

MrAWESOME247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
That is NO WAY to treat Mr. Awesome! ****ERS!

Really, do the genius bar folks see the issue or are you pressing them to just hand over another phone?

yeah like i really really enjoy going to the DAMN APPLE STORE everytime with this issue :rolleyes:

The so called " Genius " definitely see the issue and they even tested there own Wifi at the store they have said that its not as strong as it should be cause it goes down to 1 bar, and even with my connection which i'm sitting right next to , it goes to full bar to 2 and then 1 and back up to full again, and there's also the lockscreen issue when i wake the phone wifi is not on.

So yeah all i want is a IPhone that WORKS PROPERLY LIKE IT SHOULD

bryanc28

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Arlington, Va
Ugh, I feel your pain. I've had a good run on all the previous iPhones except for the 4s. Major home button problems, very bad light leaking from both sides and outer case....I'm finally good with this one. Good luck & I hope you eventually get a good working phone.

MrAWESOME247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Ugh, I feel your pain. I've had a good run on all the previous iPhones except for the 4s. Major home button problems, very bad light leaking from both sides and outer case....I'm finally good with this one. Good luck & I hope you eventually get a good working phone.

Thanks man , i actually kind of did have a good IPhone 4s which was my first one that i got a contract with, but had an issue where it took its time waking up when i pressed the home button other then that it work alot better then all the damn replacements i'm getting from the Apple store.

I really really regret even going to Apple to get my first IPhone 4s fixed, i honestly should of went straight to my network provider to get a damn new factory sealed IPhone instead of ones that the so called Genius's get out from the black box which are probably used with the way the wrapper is put on them.

Have any of you guys got any tips on how i can actually get the Genius to give me a IPHONE THAT WORKS ? :confused::confused:

wymi

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2012
All three phones have the same issue? My iPhone comes up 3g when I first wake it up and then switches to wifi, that appears to be normal functioning.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Possible sim issue? It's not a common problem so for it to happen to you 3 times? That's beyond rare I think there is something else going on.

I do technical repair and when you replace a part and get the EXACT same symptoms then 99% of the time it's not the problem. Now if you get a different symptom then that's another issue.

I know people only post the bad things but I'm really glad I got a "perfect" 4s.

MrAWESOME247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
All three phones have the same issue? My iPhone comes up 3g when I first wake it up and then switches to wifi, that appears to be normal functioning.

Apart from my very first IPhone 4s every replacement from the apple store has pretty much the same issue.

I've got 3g switched off on mine and when i wake it sometimes wifi is there full bars without unlocking it , and other times i wake it, not there but when i unlock it wfi pops up less bars then it should be but then goes to full.

Once or twice the wifi doesnt even pop back up at all and i have to switch it on.

I just want an IPhone 4s that works , is that to much to ask from Apple :(

wymi

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2012
Try switching 3g on and see if that makes a difference with it being able to revert to wifi. I'm on the cdma side so I don't have the option to turn 3g off. Good call cynics thinking it might be a sim issue.

MrAWESOME247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Possible sim issue? It's not a common problem so for it to happen to you 3 times? That's beyond rare I think there is something else going on.

I do technical repair and when you replace a part and get the EXACT same symptoms then 99% of the time it's not the problem. Now if you get a different symptom then that's another issue.

I know people only post the bad things but I'm really glad I got a "perfect" 4s.

you might be on to something cause i'm only getting 3 bars even though i'm in an area where there is pretty good network coverage and i noticed today when i was in the city centre i was getting full bars , so it is possible there might be an issue with the sim.

Right now though when i woke the phone up there was a 3G signal there and the wifi did not turn back on, had to go and do it myself.

for now i've took the sim out to see if that is anyway effecting the wifi.

I'm going to try and get a replacement sim tommorow

MrAWESOME247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
What are you doing to activate wifi when it doesn't connect?

I go to wifi settings to turn it on again , which is annoying cause my internet connection is pretty good.

So i've taken the micro sim out the phone and i'm so far getting a pretty strong wifi connection but there are still times where it goes down to 2 bars and back to full bars even though i'm standing near the connection or in the same area as the connection.

Well at the moment it looks like it is a sim issue.

had one wifi drop when i woke the phone but came back on to full bars on its own

is it normal for the Wifi to turn off when the phone is in sleep mode ?

Last edited:

wymi

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2012
I go to wifi settings to turn it on again , which is annoying cause my internet connection is pretty good.

So i've taken the micro sim out the phone and i'm so far getting a pretty strong wifi connection but there are still times where it goes down to 2 bars and back to full bars even though i'm standing near the connection or in the same area as the connection.

Well at the moment it looks like it is a sim issue.

had one wifi drop when i woke the phone but came back on to full bars on its own

is it normal for the Wifi to turn off when the phone is in sleep mode ?

My wifi drops out when the phone goes to sleep mode, pops back on after I wake it up. You said you go to wifi and turn it back on, is it in off mode when you go to the wifi setting or are you turning it off and then back on?

MrAWESOME247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
My wifi drops out when the phone goes to sleep mode, pops back on after I wake it up. You said you go to wifi and turn it back on, is it in off mode when you go to the wifi setting or are you turning it off and then back on?

Right so does your wifi not drop when you wake or is it the other way round ?

My wifi is already in off mode in settings so i have to turn it on again myself.

Does your wifi connection sometimes drop to 2 bars or less even if your right near the connection or is it always full ?

you know i really really love this damn phone and i really hate that i'm getting this :(

especially when i'm off abroad in 2 weeks time:(

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Aside from the sim the only common denominator I can think of would be a crazy case having an effect on reception.

wymi

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2012
Right so does your wifi not drop when you wake or is it the other way round ?

My wifi is already in off mode in settings so i have to turn it on again myself.

Does your wifi connection sometimes drop to 2 bars or less even if your right near the connection or is it always full ?

you know i really really love this damn phone and i really hate that i'm getting this :(

especially when i'm off abroad in 2 weeks time:(

My wifi never turns off in the settings by itself, yours does? At home I have full wifi bars all the time. I do have an incredibly powerful wifi set up at home.

----------

MY wifi drops when the phone goes to sleep, then pops back on when I wake it up.

MrAWESOME247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
Aside from the sim the only common denominator I can think of would be a crazy case having an effect on reception.

first case i used was a griffin reveal case

this is the current case i'm using.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...C0T_7?ie=UTF8&m=A1T8E9OG0PWC0T&n=&s=&v=glance

my wifi on some occasions seems like it switchs off in sleep mode then when i wake it , it pops back up after i think trying to reconnect and then sometimes it doesn't come on at all.

worst thing is the calling issue, when i try to call someone it calls the said person but i cant hear anything even with phone to ear but when i turn the speaker on the voice of the caller comes back on:confused::confused:

wymi

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2012
first case i used was a griffin reveal case

this is the current case i'm using.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...C0T_7?ie=UTF8&m=A1T8E9OG0PWC0T&n=&s=&v=glance

my wifi on some occasions seems like it switchs off in sleep mode then when i wake it , it pops back up after i think trying to reconnect and then sometimes it doesn't come on at all.

worst thing is the calling issue, when i try to call someone it calls the said person but i cant hear anything even with phone to ear but when i turn the speaker on the voice of the caller comes back on:confused::confused:

That's an Aluminum case? Not the best for RF reception. So is your wifi ever off when you go in to the settings?

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
God there is no frigging way I could work in a customer service type business . I would not be able to contain my thoughts of people who seem to never be satisfied. I just wouldn't be able to do it. :D

MrAWESOME247

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2012
That's an Aluminum case? Not the best for RF reception. So is your wifi ever off when you go in to the settings?

its an Aluminium case yeah , before that i was using this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006JIQH...eative=6742&camp=1638&creativeASIN=B006JIQHJ0

My wifi is on almost everytime when i go to settings when i'm activly using the phone, its just sometimes the bars trop to two or one.

----------

God there is no frigging way I could work in a customer service type business . I would not be able to contain my thoughts of people who seem to never be satisfied. I just wouldn't be able to do it. :D

right so why bother coming in this thread then :rolleyes:

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
New Stylish Apple iPhone 4 4S Case and Screen Protector - Aluminium Hard Black Back Case Cover for iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S

And I've got signal issues after I just wrapped by phone in an aluminum antenna barrier. Makes no sence does it, better go get another replacement. :eek:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Customer "my phone doesn't work and I can't make phone calls and it disconnects from wifi so it's totally inoperative"

You "doesn't anything satisfy you?!?!? Be happy the calculator works geeeez!!"

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
New Stylish Apple iPhone 4 4S Case and Screen Protector - Aluminium Hard Black Back Case Cover for iPhone 4 & iPhone 4S

And I've got signal issues after I just wrapped by phone in an aluminum antenna barrier. Makes no sence does it, better go get another replacement. :eek:

If you ignore the first case which is plastic that's plausible. Unlikely an apple store employee would miss that since its even in the training.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.