Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I can't speak for the OP, but hypothetically speaking if it were me and they offered that I pay 95% of the original price and except the blemish I would decline. He paid for a 100% BRAND NEW, WORKING PHONE. Not one with blemishes, scratches, or manufacturing defects (unless every iPhone has them, like the rattle in the camera lens).

And please someone tell me how this is OCD? In my past experience, Apple reps/"Geniuses" are anything but intelligent.

I won't go into much detail, but last year I purchased an unlocked iP4S and my home button was very wiggly and loose. I asked the "genius" to compare it to the floor model. After seeing that the floor model was perfect, his response to me was, "Well some are just more loose than others."

Yeah.

Last edited:

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
The housing should be perfect as all sub assemblies should.
It can be rejected.

If the coating is damaged in machining they don't meet their quota.
If its damaged as it moves down the line from station to station somebody wont meet their quota.

If its rejected at the final station a lot of people wont meet their quota.

Quota is king when trying to satisfy demand.

For those who say you are being too anal we now know where to sell damaged unit's.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
To the OP, were these iphones new in the box and they just swapped the iphone out or were they iphones similar to the ones behind the genius bar for your everyday replacement?

Texran

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
Dropped

Dropped mine today. Slipped out of my hand onto tile flooring. I managed to kick it just before it hit.
Still perfect.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Why should the iPhone 5 be held to a different standard than, say the iPhone 4 or 4S?

If you bought a brand new phone, it should be brand new, free of blemishes and defects. Try showing up to an Apple store and tell them that you only want to pay them 95% of the price for a phone with a few scratches on it.

Let us know how that goes. :rolleyes:

Every year we always get some real OCD individuals who return iPhones 7+ times regardless of the issues.

Bossyman

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I started this post simply for one reason: to let people know that you can exchange your defective phone until you get a perfect one.

If you choose to settle for a defective one, good for you. I choose to get what I pay for.

The replacement phones come out of thin sealed boxes from the back that have nothing in them but iPhones. These are not for sale. Replacements only.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
Your like those annoying little gnats that keep flying in someones face, despite swatting them away. GO AWAY!!!

The OP clearly bought a very premium product and did not receive one. Why does this make him less of a person?

I went through about 20 iPhone 4S's until I got a good one. Does that mean the iPhone isn't for me??? No one on here except people with half of a brain want to admit Apple's QC is going down hill very fast.

Why should he settle for a defective phone when others who paid the exact same received one that's perfect?

how is QC getting worse? it took you 20 tries for the perfect 4S and the OP only took 6 tries. How I see it QC must have increased over 3 times since the 4S was released.

It's too bad that after 20 tries with your 4S that you only got a "good one" you should have exchanged 100 times and get the perfect 4S.

Newfiejudd

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
I have some light bleed on my brand new Iphone 5. Kinda of disappointing. I don't notice it with a light background, but when a black background is up you can see it all along the top of the screen.

When I get back from this trip I will be looking for a replacement. I had the same problem with my Ipad 2, the second one was fine. First one was just terrible.

Funny I have no issues with my RMBP, and many others do. As a long time apple user I really see the decrease in apple QC IMHO. I guess that what we get for being the BETA guinea pigs.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
I don't consider myself a serial returner by any means, but I'm "technically" on my third iPhone 5.
First one had a bad volume up switch (felt permanently pressed and immediately deemed bad by apple store).
Guy brought out a white box replacement and I checked it out while he was entering data on their iPad app.
Immediately noticed a scratch on the side. Apple guy said it should be perfect and went right back to the back room for another.
It happens.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Holy OCD batman... Go have a beer and relax! You're going to die at a young age if you keep going so nuts over a phone.

Exactly. If I was a store manager and if a customer went through 6 phones, I would pull them aside and recommend them to seek professional help.

Something is definitely NOT normal here - and it's not the so-called "imperfections" on iPhone 5.

Damn weirdos.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
The iphone gods must be on my side. Perfect iPhones every time. Sorry to hear people having troubles getting a perfect device

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
I can't even tell how much of this "defective iPhone" stuff is even real anymore. I mean is it overblown? all true? trolls? liars? a few issues posted online and now everyone is breaking out the magnifying glass trying to inspect every millimeter of their iPhone?
NOT SAYING THAT OP IS LYING, just asking why the whole forum has these issues.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Exchanged mine today for another 32GB Black. It was Perfect. Finally. No Scuffs lol.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple has a DOA supply stock for those who have issues with the phone's they receive. Not preventing anyone from receiving their phone.

But the units in question aren't DOA. Granted, I wouldn't want my phone to look like someone played catch with it at the factory, but I wouldn't likely return it if it had a single small nick. Within a month or so last year, I noticed a small nick on the 4S antenna (barely noticeable if you didn't know it was there). After 11 months, that was the only flaw, so obviously it didn't speak to the long term durability of the phone.

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Such bullshyt. I can't even get my pre order and this guy has been through 6? That's absolutely uncalled for.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Such bullshyt. I can't even get my pre order and this guy has been through 6? That's absolutely uncalled for.

I'd be pretty furious myself. I won't even lie. But just think when you get it, it will be amazing, that I can guarantee. Just....don't grab a magnifying glass and dissect it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.