On my second BRAND NEW MBP...This metallic clicking noise is driving me nuts.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IDBGOD, Dec 14, 2010.

1. IDBGOD macrumors newbie

So I just forked over $2300+ on a new 15" i7 MBP coming from my Core 2 from late 2006. Needless to say the computer is great, does everything I want it to, but there's one thing....THE NOISE.

The best way I can describe it as a metallic scraping noise that makes me want to put a bullet in my head. I also use my laptop primarily in my lap, and NO it's not the HD.

After doing some research here's what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmpervXe9M&feature=related

I also found this article from Ten One, and it seems to be exactly the issue:

http://tenonedesign.com/blog/fix-your-macbook-pro-like-a-champ/

I took it into the apple store today showing them the video as well as the article, and the best the tech said he could do is submit a report to apple. Apparently they can't fix it without apple's direction, and doing so myself will void my warranty.

Needless to say I'm pretty ticked off. Shelling this amount of money for a new Mac to have this kind of service and pretty much tell me tough ****. It seems like a pretty simple fix to me. I'm not sure about the rest of you who have new 15" MBP's but this sound is driving me nuts. This is my second one since Monday and it's doing the exact same thing so it's definitely a design issue.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I had the exact same issue. Its apparently a piece used to disperse some sort of pent up electricity inside the MacBook. I opened up my computer, removed the part, and put it back in, since than, for whatever reason, I never get the ticking that I had previously heard.

3. IDBGOD thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to do it right now, but it's kind of BS how the "main genius" at the apple store told me that if I was to remove it myself I would loose my warranty. I can't express how T'ed off I am at the moment. First I buy a $2K+ computer from them, then they try to piss me off with scare tactics saying I'll loose my warranty if I fix it myself.

I'm supposed to wait a week or more until they hear back from apple on the issue.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If it was really worth $2k to you, you'd return it. "Fix" is misleading, because Apple (i.e. the ones who offer the warranty in the first place) don't seem to think your issue is a real problem.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I agree with you, It really ticked me off as well. I didn't even try contacting apple about it. I did a couple searches on google, and found out what it was. Once, I identified the problem, I just did it myself. As far as Im concerned apple will never know that I touched it.

6. IDBGOD thread starter macrumors newbie

It would be pointless to return a product only to receive a new one that does exactly the same thing, which in my case has already happened. As I said, it's a design flaw.

As for as whether or not it's a "real" problem, no, it's not. An annoyance yes, but has absolutely no effect on the performance of the machine.

Regardless, to spend this amount of money on a machine who clinks and ticks every other second seems a little bit unacceptable. My old Macbook didn't do this. I'm beginning to think I should have opted out and waited for the refresh.

7. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

Crazy, I've been dealing with this exact issue for months, but never really looked into it. Can't say it bothers me enough to crack the case and take the part out, but it's comforting to at least know it's not the HDD.

8. preppy macrumors member

preppy

I removed the piece making the sound. Now I am certifiably "sane" again :)

9. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

No I don't have that noise mbp 17" 2,66mhz i7 128gb ssd 4 gb ram

10. Razzi macrumors newbie

Whew, thought I was the only one randomly hearing things as I had the MBP on my lap.

Off to find a small screwdriver now

11. etravian macrumors newbie

Creak... peep cheep creak...

Google as I might, it was only once I saw the post for this that I was able to confirm that I am not in fact, hearing things. ESD, huh? That's an interesting and damned annoying thing. In any event... THANK YOU MACRUMORS FORUMS for confirming my sanity!

12. IDBGOD thread starter macrumors newbie

So it seems many of you are hearing this issue as well, obviously it's not our individual notebooks and it's a pretty common issue.

I really am starting to get annoyed, think I'll open up my MBP tomorrow and do this mod. **** waiting on Apple.

13. carlyinoz macrumors member

Hilarious timing, I was just coming to ask about it as well! It just got worse today and it's beginning to drive me nuts. I think I can put up with it so long as I know it's not actually something loose that shouldn't be, lol

14. chaoticbear macrumors 6502

The internets say that you can just put a piece of masking tape under the offending part instead of removing it as well.

Curious though, which size(s) are y'all experiencing this with?

15. preppy macrumors member

preppy

I tried the masking/electrical tape suggestion and found the sound was still there. At least on my MBP, the sound was from the "spring-like" prong going in/out or up/down rather than the prong making contact with the bottom cover.

I just ended up removing it and putting it off to the side. It's easily reinstalled if I need to go to the Apple Store.