On my way to the Apple Store to get 15 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fussball9999, Oct 27, 2012.

1. fussball9999 macrumors newbie

Hey,

so I made up my mind and I am finally going for the 15" rMBP. Still, because I am spending that kind of money for a computer, I want a flawless display. So is there any way I can ask the employees whether I can check whether it has a Samsung or LG display and if it has a Samsung, I am gonna buy it? Or do I have to buy one, go home, check, and then go back, exchange until I get my Samsung Display? The other day I checked three 15 inch Retinas in the Apple Store, two of them were LGs and one Samsung, and both of the LGs had strong Image Retention, while the Samsung showed no problem at all...

Thanks

2. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

If you want a flawless screen, dont get a retina. Its a gamble. I bought the non retina 15" yesterday and love it. Already ordered 16G ram for $100, saw it on crucial for $80, Apple wants $200 to upgrade for 8 to 16. Dont get me wrong, I went to the Apple store to look at the retina, and I could tell a difference for sure, but the screen on the Non retina is good for me. I dont need that Hi res screen, I would prefer the upgradability of the cMBP. SSD to follow later in the holiday season.

But enjoy which ever you choose.

3. tillsbury macrumors 65816

No, but you can open it immediately you've bought it I suppose, and if you find IR get them to swap it. The screen type doesn't guarantee perfection or not.

4. fussball9999 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so will just speak to the store supervisor, whether it is ok, if I open it right away after the purchase:) Still, do I have to charge the battery first? Or is it already charged?

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Mostly charged, will come straight up and be lovely! :)

6. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Since most systems have an LG screen from the factory, I doubt you will find a Samsung in one of those boxes. Don't expect the store to start opening all of them for you. Most people don't want an open box brought out to them for that kind of money. Even if was used only to find the LCD manufacturer. That isn't the "experience" Apple buyers want.

7. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

And TBH it's not ALL about the screen, I have an LG and I have a the tiniest amount of IR although no dead pixels etc, what's to say you get a Sammy with no IR but dead pixels?

The amount of IR I'm getting is miles away from being a concern, and the only times I see it are when I've left my screen on the checkered pattern for 15 minutes and use a dark grey background.

8. SchuettS macrumors 6502

It sounds like you won't be happy w either screen. Good luck.

9. RussellJones macrumors member

i had a samsung screen that was way dimmer than the LG one im using now, neither are perfect.

10. sensorian macrumors member

If I stare at the sun at a picture on my wall for 15 minutes and really concentrate then when I look away I can still see it for about 30 seconds.

That's about the extent of my IR on my LG screen. Under certain forced conditions that I'm never likely to encounter it does happen but other than that the screen is an absolute joy to use and never gives me any problems. no discernible lag, no dead pixels. Nothing.

Perspective is needed about this problem in my opinion.

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Agreed. I have an LG screen, but I don't see this IR issue in normal use. I just don't care about a "test" that is artificially showing up a problem.

12. Daniel L macrumors 6502

I compared an LG and Samsung side by side and the LG looked noticeably better to my eyes. I'd rather have the better looking screen than the screen that shows image retention under artificial conditions.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OK turn on you GPS so we can follow your progress. :rolleyes:

[1:23 AM] Hope ur in the U.K. otherwise u may want to know the Genius are in their regenerative cycle.

14. fussball9999 thread starter macrumors newbie

So this is my first post with my new 15inch retina :)

I cant be happier, got a 12% education discount, so I saved good money (bought in Germany). The staff was absolutely amazing, the manager himself was selling me that awesome piece of technology :) I was allowed to open as many boxes as I wanted, until I got my Samsung-Display :p Got it on my first try, and wow, I am really stunned by this display:O Never seen anything like it :)

15. wiznet macrumors regular

You'll love it, enjoy!

16. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

You should buy the lotto too... It's your lucky day!!!

Congrats and enjoy that beauty :apple:

17. fussball9999 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks mate :) haha i cant wait to start writing my essay on that thing :D

18. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Hope you enjoy it. :)

19. DavidQ macrumors newbie

I finally bought a 15 rMBP after another hour in my dealer store.
    My mind is made up on 15 rather than the 13, even if I am sure that I'll regret 13" form factor.

The Apple guy was really nice and we made the basic laptop set up just to afford to reach the terminal.
    He even tap himself the command to see what screen I have :

Screen is Samsung, so is the SSD !!

I have been setting it for the past three hours with all my working and personal stuff and installing Windows seven through parallels is just too fast :)

20. moxxey macrumors regular

Unless that's a joke, I just don't believe you. The Apple Store near us is constantly busy, particularly on a Saturday. It's hard enough trying to get any attention, never mind asking them whether you can personally open their brand new boxed products, start up their MBPs, to figure out which one is for you.

Why on earth would Apple start opening sealed brand new boxes?

21. thewretched macrumors newbie

Yeah and would be a shame if they would clean, seal and sell the afterwards again as "new".

I'm also looking to buy a 15" rMBP but especially the IR problems keep me from ordering one right now. Want to buy it online directly from Apple and don't feel like returning it afterwards...

22. fussball9999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that was not a joke ;)

Before buying the rMBP I was telling the apple guy that I only want a image retention free retina and he was like: What do you mean? So I quickly showed him the ultimate image retention test here on this site and he was like: Well, I guess I learned another thing^^ So they brought me like to the counter where I first payed, then waited 2 minutes for a guy to bring me my brand new retina, then the staff unsealed the macbook, handed it over to me, telling me do your thing and then he said that he will be right over there, in case I am not satisfied with that one ;) I really appreciated that, I mean there is no difference in going home, opening up the box, checking, and then returning it or just do it in the store;) but as I said I was lucky, got a LSN on my first try, no Image Retention, Dead Pixels, no yellow tint ... Plus I got 30 percent of the Apple Care Protection again thanks to the student discount :)

23. zakee00 macrumors regular

zakee00

This surprises me, too. Pretty cool though. I didn't do this and scored a Samsung screen on my first try :p

Enjoy!