On OS X 10.6.8 will BootCamp be erased if upgrade to 10.7 or 10.8?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Zobec, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Zobec, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

Zobec macrumors member

Hi, I am on mac using OSX 10.6.8 Snow leopard though recently it has come to my attention that a lot of my sample libraries do not support 10.6.8. I was told to up grade to either Lion or mountain Lion. However as I also have a partitioned drive via bootcamp with windows 7 on it I need to ask some questions.

If I upgrade to Lion or mountain Lion will the bootcamp with windows 7 drive be wiped?

Is there a way to find out in advance, if the drive with the partitioned windows 7 be wiped out by Lion or mountain Lion if I upgrade the OSX?

I have not resized the drive since I created the partition from what I understand that is a factor but I need advice to be sure in how to find out if it will be wiped or not.

I was reading that is possible but I would like clarification.

This was a thread regarding problems with boot camp and Mavericks
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1659097

I think Lion and Mountain Lion is still being sold is it not?

Thanks

might be wrong forum sorry

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Boot Camp simply sets up a NTFS partition on your Mac and installs Windows and the drivers necessary for Windows to handle Apple hardware. You install and upgrade OS X in your Mac's HFS+ partition. Upgrading OS X should have nothing to do with your NTFS Windows partition.

The users in your link who are having problems mucked around with their NTFS and HFS+ partitions. This can be problematic even if each partition has the same file system. Using standard OS X software to muck around with NTFS or standard Windows software to muck around with HFS+ is asking for trouble.