On sharing a monitor (KVM and alternatives)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by robothero, Feb 11, 2014.

1. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Hey guys, I've been searching through the archives for the past couple days and have some pretty good leads, but wanted to hear some input about what I'm trying to do and what the best way to do it will be.

I have a cMBP with Thunderbolt and a Desktop PC. Currently the MBP sits on my desk with the PC, which is connected to two monitors. I'd like to consolidate to one monitor (and ideally 1 keyboard and mouse) so I can work in two set ups:

1. MBP with desktop extended to monitor (PC is idle)
    2. PC on monitor with MBP using it's built in screen.

The monitor sharing seems pretty straight forward, since I can just hook up the MBP to one input and the PC to the other. Done. Now, I'm not sure about the other sharing.

On one hand, a KVM would allow me to easily switch, but I wouldn't be able to control the MBP in setup 2. I was also looking into something akin to the j5 wormhole or Synergy, but I don't know if that would mess things up with setup 1.

Am I over complicating this? Should I just live with two keyboards and mice?

2. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

When you use a laptop in an USB KVM setup (assuming you are not using it shut in clamshell mode) you can use either the built-in or external keyboard/mouse/touchpad when that CPU is selected by the KVM switch, or else the built-in when you have selected the desktop PC.

You never disable the internal keyboard/pad, but merely add a second set of inputs when the KVM switch targets that computer.