on Sprint... jump ship june 24 and pay e.t.f. or wait for vzn or better yet, sprint.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DeuxIt, Jun 7, 2010.

1. DeuxIt macrumors member

This is FINALLY the the iPhone i've been waiting for, both in form and function.

Big dilemma is whether to jump ship with sprint who i/ve been very happy with, pay the etf (1/2 way through contract), and sign on with at$t, who i have a long standing grudge with.

And while i respect their reasoning for needing to cap usage and and reign in heavy users, it seems a big step backwards and their execution seems amateur especially doing it less than a month after iPad 3g release.

I really don't want to be tied to them if Sprint or Verizon is on the horizon.

Do i wait it out and hope for the best?? Lot's of clues that it's going to happen....but when?? Or indulge my tech envy and bite the bullet June 24??

What are you doing??

2. mbell75 macrumors 6502

3. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

2nd

4. Chimera-se macrumors member

3rd. Even after the iPhone announcement today, I'm still thinking about coming to Sprint for the EVO.

5. Shorties macrumors 6502a

5thed, if I had sprint I would buy an Evo, easily, that screen is gorgeous, I love the iPhone, but its advantage over the Evo is only minimal compared to the hassle of switching providers. (Especially considering sprint will be much cheaper for you if you are on your own plan, if you have family on AT&T and can get on their plan then I would say then it would be worth jumping ship, but only under that circumstance).

6. btrav13 macrumors 6502

6th

Why would you pay an ETF to go to ATT?! That's just insanity! Plus you're going to hate yourself when that thing hits another carrier within the next 8 months and your ETF is $278 with ATT LOL

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Wow the Android fanboyism on this forum has never been so high. I don't understand what compels people that love Android blindly to stick around here? Does it really help you or anyone else by sitting here trying to drag people over to Android?

To the OP, I'm sorry you're not getting any help here. I know you said you like the new iPhone, so it sucks all the Android fanboys have to rush in and say, GET THE EVO!! ITS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!

If you had to ask me, I'd say yes, pay your ETF and sign a contract with ATT and get the new iPhone on release date. Worst case scenario is Verizon or Sprint get the iPhone in around 6-9 months and you switch to them. Yes, you would have around a $300 ETF fee (probably less) from AT&T but you will be able to sell your iphone for much higher then that anyways.

If you renew your contract with Sprint and get another phone and then the iPhone comes to spring in 6-9 months, you won't be eligible for an upgrade anyways. You will have to pay the full price, which would be much more expensive then just switching to ATT now and then switching back later.

To the rest of you, try Android Central to express your blind love for Android and you should only be posting here if you can offer impartial advice. I hate even seeing blind Apple fanboys here, but that is to be expected on an Apple forum. I really wish the mods could do something about getting rid of all these people doing nothing about destroying threads to post about the Evo.

8. tngilmer macrumors newbie

You are missing the point. It is not love for the Android, it is hatred for AT&T.

9. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

AT&T is excellent in my area so maybe I don't understand all the hatred. Either way, you have 30 days to try the new iPhone. If AT&T sucks or you don't like the phone that much, you can return it within 30 days and get your money back. That's what I did when I switched from Sprint about a year ago.

10. brendu macrumors 68020

Im in the same boat as the OP, considering switching but I too despise ATT. I love the new iPhone's look and the screen looks banging... I have played with the evo, its cool but android is simply not as nice as iOS... that said, iOS is not worth the insane extra costs ATT charges, which is why I have issues with them, not because of coverage. As I have said before their charges are insane and insulting and unless I can get an iPhone with unlimited texting and the 2GB data for under $80 a month, I wont buy it.

I actually emailed jobs last night to ask why they wont be more "open" and allow the iPhone on more carriers and pointed out that they could have used the iPad as leverage to bring an earlier end date to the att exclusivity but no answer back, I doubt he even read it, and if he did, he will not have a good answer for me, but I did state that there are a lot of us sprint users who would grab an iPhone in a second if he would just make us one.

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I have the unlimited data plan which is $5 more then the 2gb data plan and then I have 1500 texts which is $5 less then the unlimited. I also have a student discount that anybody can get assuming they have a school email address still valid. I'm sure doing any searching online you can find other ways to get 10-15% off your bill. Anyways, my bill is $81 after taxes and I would essentially have the same pricing as you would have if you found a service discount.