On the Fence - BB-vs-iPhone? A Former Skeptic's Revew of the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brown Trout, May 4, 2011.

1. Brown Trout macrumors member

This is my 3-month review. I had to do an upgrade - and picked the iPhone 4 on ATTWS for my personal phone because my old, 5-yr old SLVR L7 was not going to work with the new network upgrades. I was in no rush to get a data phone since I've had a back-and-forth cycle of Blackberries and Treos for work for the last 8 years and had on-the-road access to my home Verizon email and the web that way.

And I was pretty happy with my iPods, the latest being an 8G Nano & I could not comprehend the iPhone craze. I know better now. What a great product.

If you have a good enterprise smartphone like a Blackberry like I did - I would still consider Apple iPhone for your personal use.

I got a great deal from ATT, under $55/month before tax for 450 minutes, 2G data and unlimited messaging. I was paying $35 for 450 voice alone previously.

Not an expert, and it's been some time since I unlocked anything. But this iPhone 4 is just a great product:

- Keyboard can be annoying -vs- a keypad but I am OK with it
    - I don't miss trackball scrolls.
    - Apps for travel like AMEX, AA and other airlines aren't any better than the mobile versions, but some news - like Fox, ABC, CNN, you name it - are a huge improvement.
    - Safari is excellent. Far better than Windows mobile or the BB version, even for regular sites. For example, I have a wsj.com account subscription for about $200 a year. The wsj iPhone app wants another $50 a year for full content. Don't need that capability. If something pops up on the app requiring that additional "app fee" I just open wsj.com on Safari and sign in, and I can read all of it. Even web sites not configured for mobile devices are easy to navigate and read. That was a PITA on Windows Mobile.
    - The mail client needs to allow deleting individual recent calls and some capability to synch to desktop Outlook folders w/o going the GMail route.
    - Battery life is good. I don't set push for email and easily get 24 hrs or more with normal use if not using stuff like maps or watching a movie.
    - Easily loaded some "handbraked" movies.
    - With a thin aCase this iPhone easily fits into a Timbuk2 medium or the basic RedOXX clip holster.
    - The Data Viz app for word and excel is seamless. It supports password protected files among other capabilities.
    - It would be nice if I didn't have to go thru iTunes or an app Like DataViz for loading everything, but I guess drag & drop from a mini USB isn't in the cards.

Overall: A. Great product - A+ if mail had a few more options but this thing is an excellent complement to a work Blackberry but not a replacement for something like an HP netbook if you need to do serious work on MS Office files.

2. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

typo? what does a mail client have to do with recent calls?

3. Brown Trout thread starter macrumors member

Typo, yes. Would be nice to be able to drop 1 or more recents -vs- all on the App.

4. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

How do you have 450min/2Gdata/unlimitedtexting for $55 on AT&T? :confused:

5. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I'd like to hear about that deal.

6. Brown Trout thread starter macrumors member

Have been with them & Cingular since 1999 & asked for a deal before I opted for Verizon. I'm still DoD and they honored those discounts.