On the fence....Plz push me one way or the other!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taybo20, Jun 25, 2010.

1. taybo20 macrumors regular

taybo20

Okay guys and gals, I'm on the fence. I would love to have this iP4 to replace my old 3G with, but with all the negativity it kind of scares me. I'm not necessarily in need of a new phone as my 3G works great even with iOS4. The iP4 would be more luxury as I would get the 32gb for more movies and songs among other extra features.

So yay or nay?

2. LocoMoco macrumors member

Other than what others are saying. Mine is good to go. I say yay. I went from a 3g to iP4. :)

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

It seems the two big flaws, the yellow screen and the reception, are pretty easily remedied.

It sounds like the yellow screen is going away on it's own as the bonding agent dries. The reception problems can be mitigated with a case. My iPhone was practically unusable until I put an iFrogz case on it. Now it is a thing of beauty as intended, and it's well protected!

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Just a really small percentage has bad reception (remember: users who do not have problems, won't complain), and than you can exchange it for free. Yellow spots will, apparently dissapear after a few days of usage. No worries. If there are problems, you can always get a new iPhone 4 for free!

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Yay

I had the first gen and people hated it for the fact it had a recessed headphone jack, metal back, bad speakers, etc...

I had the 3GS and people hated it because it no longer had a metal back and was now cheesey plastic that cracked, uneven bezel, etc..

I now have iPhone 4 and you already know the issues people talk about..

In my experience there are only two perfect phones. The one that has yet to be created, and the one that is no longer available.

I say go for it.

7. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

8. taybo20 thread starter macrumors regular

taybo20

Thanks for the responses. And it is true that only the people with problems complain and sometimes it seems that it is exacerbated because the people that are loving their phones don't post.

I may swing by my Apple store today. If they have one, I think I'm going to buy it. I need to check out these frog cases or whatever though.

Question:

Does the iFrogz case still allow the phone to fit in the dock?

9. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Is it okay if I kick you on one or the other side? :rolleyes:

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd say no--do not get one yet. The antenna problem is not minor--you cannot make calls without a case or bumper. You could use a headset but many people still hold their phone up to their ear.

I can't believe that by holding the naked iPhone 4 in the normal fashion anyone would to make a call--the signal fades to nothing.

11. Malakas07 macrumors member

imo, go for it. Your experience will much better going from 3g to ip4. Now I can understand those who are having difficulty going from 3gs to ip4.

12. taybo20 thread starter macrumors regular

taybo20

As long as it isn't in the balls :p

13. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

You have to remember, people who have issue are 10xs more likely to vocalize it then someone who is enjoying their iDevice. Personally, I don't think this reception issue is as widespread as people are making it out to be. Is it an issue that needs to be fixed? Absolutely. Did I think twice before buying my phone? Nope. Don't have any problems here no matter which way I hold it.

**To be fair I don't my phone in a way that would cause this issue even if my phone was affected.

14. Akimountain macrumors newbie

You're on the fence for purchase, I'm on the fence for returning.

If apple addresses the issue as I hope they do, I will keep the phone and would recommend getting.

15. SycoraX macrumors newbie

My personal experience... Had the 3G, then bought ip4 and after having it for 24 hours sold it. I'll probably pick up a cheap 3GS for now just because my 3G is pretty slow.

I use my phone for business and spend hours on the phone every day, i have 3 lines that go in to my cell phone, so I really can't afford spotty reception and dropped calls. Just for personal use, I may have viewed it differently.

16. surferfb macrumors regular

surferfb

No issues here. I love mine. Tried causing the reception issue every way I've read on the forums, but I can't recreate it.

Want to be clear: I'm not saying that the issue isn't widespread, and I would be upset if mine was one of the unlucky ones, but I think it may not be as widespread as the forums/blogs make it out to be.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm waiting until the accessory market is a little more developed. I like the style of the Apple Bumper case, and can see using it with front/back film protection -- but the price is much more than I'm willing to pay today.

I also am intrigued by the white iphone 4 and want to see it in person before I make a decision.

So after my BB9700 sold, I bought a 3GS locally to use for a while and upgraded to iOS4.

18. Psycdude macrumors member

I'll chime in as a former 3gs owner and now iPhone 4 lover, I couldn't be happier. Have had no issues with it all all, I did buy Apple's bumper case, for drops not missed calls. So far it has worked out well with our without the case. Dropped calls are in all the same places that they have always been, and reception seems slightly better in many cases.
    Face-time is nothing short of mind blowing.