On the high end 15 inch pro with SSD....will the 2.3 be a big diff over the 2.2?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JMB1911, Sep 12, 2011.

1. JMB1911 macrumors regular

As far as the processors?

For example, ripping a DVD with handbrake, would it be that much a difference speed wise?

thanks

2. dal20402 macrumors 6502

For Handbrake, the speed will scale pretty linearly... that is, the 2.3 GHz model will be about 4% faster. I don't think that's worth it unless you're using your processor time to make a *lot* of money.

In everyday usage, you'll never notice the difference.

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

100% agreed. Don't bother with it.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Wrong section it seems (this is the Mac Pro section, not the Macbook Pro section). ;)

So I suspect you'd get answers faster if you ask a Mod to move it. :)

5. bniu macrumors 6502a

for me, it made a huge difference. My ego was satisfied with 2.3ghz and 8 megs of L3 cache. Plus, it came with a nice surprise of 8 Gigs of Apple RAM, so in the end, it wasn't a huge cost to me...

6. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

I totally agree. I know that if I had bought the 2.2 GHz instead, there would be a little voice in my head nagging me about it forever.... But that's just because I'm a performance freak xD and since I know Apple just LOVES to refresh their lineup very often, I wanted to have the top so it would last me a while without me whining about it...
    On a more helpful note, it's true that the slight boost is almost unnoticeable. A RAM upgrade would be much more noticeable. If you can afford both, I'd say go for it; otherwise, just upgrade the RAM and be happy. Your SSD should take care of the rest :p

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

In real world usage, you will not notice the difference. These are just computers man, dropping $100 on marginal upgrades will not change your penis size.

8. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

The singular reason to choose the faster CPU, is to increase Apples profit.

9. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I'm sorry you have OCD but paying a premium to future proof CPU's is just plain dumb and it only happens to uninformed buyers. With each new generation of processors, the speed completely destroys the older generation. Adding 100 points on whatever speed test is simply not going to be the same as adding another 5,000 points to it.

For the OP, save your upgrades for RAM and SSD. You can literally FEEL the difference with those upgrades as opposed to getting the top-of-the-line chip.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you have to ask, you probably don't need it.

The small difference matters to me because the few minutes I shave off here and there adds up. You might not think it matters, but sometimes it's that 3 minutes you miss a bus that you need to catch and have to wait 45 minutes for the next one. (That was just an example)

Anyways it won't matter for ripping DVDs since that's most likely limited by the speed of your DVD reader.

11. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I was actually tore up on deciding whether or not to spend an extra $250 on the 2.3 but i finally decided it wasn't worth it and just bought the 17" 2.2 with an ssd already in it. the only thing that needs to be done now is RAM. i plan on getting a 1600mhz 204pin sodimm 4x2 for it and before i even turn it on i will install it. But honestly i believe that the 2.3 really isnt worth it unless your gaming crazy amounts (which you can do on a desktop or PC since most games are windows) or like the guy above me said, miss a bus and blame it on your computer... psst.. its portable dude! haha jk

12. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

not much of a difference. save ur $

13. bniu macrumors 6502a

well, I am a shareholder as well...