On the verge of getting a Powerbook/iBook...HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wano, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. Wano macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2002
    I am not sure what to do. The Cram and Jam promo is really pushing me to get a new computer. Currently I am running a Dual 1.25G4 which is really beefed up and hooked up to a 20inch cinema display. The main reason I am getting a portable is because I have a 1.5hr gap between my classes everyday so that is good time to do homework and with the portable it will be easier. I am thinking the powerbook since it already comes with the airport card, which is something I would add to the iBook. But, then I am not sure if I should get the 12 or 15inch. I do video editing and a lot of photoshop, since I have the desktop I am not overly concerned about power and screen, but there is nothing wrong with having a powerhouse at home and a power portable, right? :D

    But, since I would get a loan for this, would you suggest instead of getting one now for me to wait and save rather than paying of a loan and buy when the powerbook G5 comes out? Also, when do you guys think this may happen?

    I just don't know what to do....oh may I add, I am an impulse buyer so if I go over to the apple store in the next couple of weeks I will probably buy the 12incher, I just don't wanna regret it..........
  2. Zaty macrumors 65816

    Mar 14, 2004
    Go for the 12" PB. Since you already own a dual PM, I guess there's no need for the 15" PB. Secondly, the 12" is really great for portability. As for a PB G5, don't expect it before spring of 2005.

    There's definitely nothing wrong with having a deskop and a portable if you use both of them.
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    The 15" really isn't THAT much faster than the 12", so I wouldn't worry too much. Just use your desktop for all the resource hungry stuff. The one issue with getting the 12" Powerbook is that the 256MB of RAM included with the system is soldered on, so unless you get a 1GB RAM stick, its hard to get lots of RAM in that system. The 15" is different in that you have 2 free RAM slots to do as you please, so if you really wanted over 1GB of RAM, all you'd need are 2x 512MB sticks.

    Oh, and the video card is better on the 15", but since its not great on any PB right now, the 12" is probably just as good for your needs. Again, you still have the desktop. :)
  4. James Craner macrumors 68000

    James Craner

    Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    I have a Powermac MMD dual 1GHz processor and a 15" 1.5 Ghz Powerbook, and I use the PB a lot, prob 70% PB and 30% PM. I personally find the 15" an excellent balance between screen size and portability. It all depends on what you are going to do with the Powerbook, it is a lot of photoshop work then the 15" is much better suited for all those photoshop pallets.

    However the 12" is a good machine as well.

    It all comes down how much you can afford to spend. I would not get over excited with the new G5's the current range of powerbooks are fast enough for most people. Apple does not have recent good track record of quality on the 1st Revisions of products, I would want to wait a few months in any case before buying a G5 Powerbook for any issues to surface.

    I would try and see them in the flesh before making a final decision.
  5. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a


    Apr 30, 2004
    The Ocean Floor
    i totally agree, see them in person, open the apps you would use. maybe even bring a file or two to open to see how it compares to how you like it. The apple retailers tend to be very helpful, and let you do a proper "test drive".
  6. wide macrumors 6502a

    May 17, 2004
    I would wait until the next PowerBook revision, probably at MWSF with an e600 (if it's ever released).
  7. vraxtus macrumors 65816


    Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    If I had a portable choice (which I recently did), I'd get the 12" PB. The 15" is nice, but 1) only if you need the extra pixels, and 2) if you don't carry much in your backpack during the day. Like you this quarter I'll have 2 1-hour gaps in between class MWF, so that gives me time to get things done. The 15", while nice, just seems to be a bit too large and bulky for me to throw in my backpack along with the rest of my books/binder/whatever. Oh, and I find it funny that stevehaslip and I have the same setup :D
  8. emw macrumors G4


    Aug 2, 2004
    Man, it must really suck to have to make those kinds of decisions. When I was in college I had an SE/30 on loan (I was an RA), and the coolest thing was when we got the new 20MB external hard drive to beef up storage capacity. Woohoo.

    Now you've got the pain and agony of deciding if you want to augment a dual-CPU G4 (with a 20" ACD no less) with a 12" or 15" PB. My heart goes out, my friend. :D

    Of course, I'd say go with the 12". It's fast enough, and super portable, which is key for what it appears you're going to use it for.

    But getting a loan for it may not be the best idea, if you can save up the cash in a reasonable amount of time, you'll be better off (sorry, it's experience and not heart speaking here). Plus you'll have a chance to see if anything new does come out, which I wouldn't count on for another 9 months or so.

    Otherwise, make sure you read the fine print on the loan. Hate to see the $1,600 PB grow to $2,500 with interest, right?
  9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    Save money until the next revision of the powerbook 12" is out (probably 3 months out). Then buy that.

  10. wordmunger macrumors 603


    Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I think it all depends on personal preference. You need to visit a store and try them out. The 12-incher is too tiny for me, but many people swear by them. I'd rather have my 3-and-a-half-year-old Ti400 than a brand-new 12-inch AlBook.
  11. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2002
    Ok, seems like the 12" would be the way to go...and I know the loan thing is probably not a good idea, but I think it's an ok option. With the dual g4 and cinema display I saved every penny I earned untill I reached about $7,000 and baught it along with a Canon GL2. This wasn't too hard considering I didn't have any bills to pay, but now I have rent and all that stuff. So, saving now is a bit harder...but I will probably pay half up front and then put the rest on a loan. We'll see though.
    Thanks everyone!
  12. SolidGun macrumors 6502


    Jul 24, 2004
    Twin Cities
    12" *books also has longer battery life compared to others.

    I got into purchasing the PB because of the Cram and Jam offer as well (since I was going to upgrade my iPod to begin with). Just be sure to have it on the same receipt to save yourself some trouble.

    PowerBook is probably the best way to go....I wouldn't get the superdirve. I got the superdrive option, but I now think that I made a mistake, since I own a burner on my desktop (Plextor...).
  13. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2002
    Yeah, I wont be getting a superdrive for the powerbook, instead I am gonna spend that money on the new Pioneer 16x dvd burner which aslo writes dual layer disk and put it in my powermac.
  14. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2002
    I just played around a bit with a friends brand new iBook and I am actually considering getting one of the 1ghz 12". Do you guys think it's worth it or should I just go with the 12" powerbook. I do have a beefy desktop so power isn't really an issue, although it would be nice everyonce in a while.
    Is the 12" powerbook really worth the extra $400?
  15. vraxtus macrumors 65816


    Aug 4, 2004
    San Francisco, CA

    If you're clumsy and drop things a lot get the iBook. If you can handle not trashing your laptop get the PB. I love mine :D
  16. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 23, 2002
    When I had the 17" Powebook I never dropped it or did anything to it. It looked brand new to the day that I traded it.

    Hmmmm....such a hard decision. I would feel bad if I got the Powerbook if they release the extended G4 or a G5 in the next revision. But, with the iBook I wouldn't feel so bad. Hmmm. Should I just wait for the next Powerbooks? But, then I can't get a new iPod!

Share This Page