On this ordering eve I look back to the good ole days

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jasperk99, Jun 14, 2010.

1. jasperk99 macrumors regular

2. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

That is a great find. I love the pics with blurry background and the ones behind the glass. Very nice.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

4. nateharr macrumors 6502

I remember the media staring at it like it was baby Jesus after it was announced.

I am so excited to finally have an iPhone with a flat back. I hate the curve of the 3G/3GS. It makes it impossible to tap or play games on a flat surface without holding the phone.

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

As someone new to the world of the iPhone (3GS was my first), it's really cool to see stuff like this. Thanks for posting it!

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Ah, it feels as if June 29th was yesterday. I'm glad to say I was part of the beginning, and I'm sure there are others that still post here that shared the same experience of getting the first iPhone on the first day it came out. I waited 4 hours in line and got the last one at my AT&T store.

Unheard of with the launches now.

7. LetMeBlastU macrumors regular

LetMeBlastU

Hilarious. 8lb. 6 Oz.

8. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Remember the 5 months of waiting? :eek: That was insane.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm still using that original iPhone on one of my lines today. Gonna keep using it till it dies.

10. creeman macrumors 6502

Reminds me of the time when Steve was talking about a SDK for the iPhone and how it didnt need one because of web apps! Good thing he changed his mind on that one, because now they have the largest app store of any cell phone...

11. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Thanks for that...great pictures to look back on.

12. Built macrumors 68020

13. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I like watching original iPhone post-MacWorld interviews, people just really didn't know what to think about it. So crazy to think that the iPhone has only been around just three years now.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I still use my original iPhone on WiFi only, like it's an iPod touch with a camera.

I don't know if you can still do that with the newer ones or they are just bricks without a contract.

Anyway if I upgrade tomorrow, it's to upgrade a line that has a by-month non-iPhone on it now and qualifies for an iPhone at discount.

My line w/ the 3GS iPhone is not eligible until next year sometime so I guess I don't need to know right now what happens to its functionality if I don't want to use that one as a phone any more after its contract ends. It's still fully functional now and I will finish the contract before deciding what to do after that.

But I'm curious, because the support document I had read a long time ago about using an iPhone as WiFi only (after contract-end) seemed to make a big deal about how this only works for the original iPhone with the original SIM in it. Why wouldn't you be permitted to use your newer iPhone as WiFi only after the contract runs out on it. It's not like the carrier would not have recouped the discount by then, so what's the big deal. In the past I have donated old cell phones for use as emergency-only devices but it seems a waste to put a smartphone to such limited use.

15. raremage macrumors 6502a

Had (and still have, but not active) the original 4 Gig version. It's got a ent in one corner now from a drop at some point early in its life. At the time I justified the small storage with the thought "Surely I won't care about watching movies on that tiny screen!" How the heck did I believe that?

And I tend to agree with the poster saying 'best looking one.' shape was about perfect (still don't love the curve of the 3S) and the metal back looked classy.

Looking forward to getting back to a more narrow, slicker form factor next week!

16. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

That iPhone is sitting upstairs in my sister's closet in the original box. Such a nice phone.

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    As I was watching that keynote in January 2007 I thought, "oh, an Apple cell phone. I hardly use the cell phone I have now, why would I want an iPhone?" Welllllll......a couple of days before the actual iPhone launch I began to realize just why I might want an iPhone, and sure enough, on Launch Day I found myself in line at the Apple store. Got in the store, handed over my CC, received the special bag with the iPhone in its box inside, and as I was walking out towards the store exit, I paused at a display table to get my first look at what I had just bought. I fell in love with my iPhone immediately and never regretted that purchase, which was followed in turn by the 3G and 3GS.....and soon the iPhone 4. I'm hooked! :)

18. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Ah I had the 4GB one as well. What did you pay for yours, a good $550? Haha. Feels so long ago, but that's how much iPhones cost from AT&T and Apple at one point!

19. WishIWasHere macrumors regular

Wow, good times. I watched that keynote because I was about to switch to Mac and I wanted to see if there was any word about an imminent release of Leopard. I had never even heard the word 'iPhone' before, but as soon as I saw it I knew it was going to be a game changer. I was never a computer guy at all, too busy playing ball and chasing girls, but how could anybody see that and NOT know it was a game changer? The wait between January and June was brutal. Good times....

20. jasperk99 thread starter macrumors regular

21. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

It's amazing how far the iPhone has come. I've had each of the models so far...

iPhone (4GB)
    iPhone 3G (16GB)
    iPhone 3GS (16GB)
    And next, the iPhone 4 (32GB)

I can't wait to see what the future holds. :apple:

22. erzeszut macrumors regular

Yep. I was there at MWE 2007. The excitement in the room when the phone was first announced was ridiculous. I think people peed their pants.

Then, we all gathered around the glass cylinders on the show floor (there were only two of them!) to see these non-functional prototypes as if they were the Hope Diamond.

Each cylinder had two security guards standing next to it. I'll never forget -- a guy stepped up close and put his hand on the glass, to steady himself as he took a picture. The security guard immediately said "Please don't touch the glass, sir," in the same tone a Secret Service guard would use when protecting the president. :D

Ah, memories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]