On Trump, what's worse:

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Sep 14, 2016.

1. 63dot, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

(listening to talk radio the other morning about Trump and this was brought up)

Saying you are worth ten billion but having tax records show you are worth much less showing the world you are a liar.

or

Saying you are worth ten billion but having tax records show you are worth much more
    but having the money hidden offshore showing the world you are a liar and a cheat. This is allegedly money he would then owe to partners who have been hurt by his so-called bankruptcies. How much?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-puts-his-money-in-companies-that-stash-cash-abroad/

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

IRS Tax records would not show your worth, just what is applicable to federal taxation.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

When will Hillary release her Goldman Sachs transcripts?

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I think it could show a pattern that may be troublesome but until then it's all speculation with GOP saying there's nothing there and liberals saying there's something criminal. I wonder if they have also looked closely at Clinton's records.

5. zin macrumors 6502

Neither. Tax returns don't show you how much somebody is worth.

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Wasn't there some big scandal in the 90s about her making a lot of money in one day that could be traced to insider trading? Who cares about emails that the FBI doesn't care about? Follow any money trail and then bring it up and I suspect both Trump and Clinton have career ending issues in that regard. Why doesn't the press cover that?

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It wouldn't. IT just show income, what is withheld, and what is taxed. Obviously he ain't filing the 1040-EZ, but conceptually it shouldn't show anything much interesting than how much he makes. In any case, it won't show how much he's worth. For example, the real estate value of his Trump Towers would not be there.

8. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Literally not even close to being the same thing. Although I agree she should release them.

9. zin macrumors 6502

That was the '70s. She made a 100-fold return in the cattle futures market. A journal paper was published on the topic, estimating the odds at 1 in 31 trillion. She claimed it was because she read The Wall Street Journal.

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Agreed.
    And Trump should release his Tax Return, at least to put this crap away.
    I am on his side however in not releasing the divorce papers. His ex-wife does not want the divorce paper released, and no crime has been committed, so that should stay in the personal realm.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Both aren't good. Not sure one is worst than the other. Lying/Cheating all the same regardless of which end of that spectrum

You realize that historically, candidates for a few decades have released their taxes. Can you illustrate where there's been historical precedent on releasing speech transcripts?

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I never heard of an insider trading scandal involving Hillary. I just want to hear what she said to Goldman Sachs that was worth $220,000 for a twenty-minute speech. Certainly they weren't planning to defraud the government so why won't she release the transcripts?

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

How come I also read the Financial Times and I don't get the same return?!

14. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

We can't get a dollar amount, but we can get a basic idea:

http://fortune.com/2016/03/02/donald-trump-tax-returns-income/

But again the offshore thing worries me more because this is where the law is being broken, well possibly.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-puts-his-money-in-companies-that-stash-cash-abroad/

...and yes, Mrs. Clinton may have something to answer regarding GS. How the hell did we end up with these two?

15. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yeah, that was cattle futures, I remember it well, along with the Whitewater ordeal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_Rodham_cattle_futures_controversy

The Clintons have been involved in scandals ever since Bubba first came on the national scene in the 1990s. It's how they do things.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You wouldn't see illegal offshore stuff on a Tax Return!

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

She's less than one point ahead of a buffoon who she should have buried months ago. Maybe it's time for her to set a precedent.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

You're aware that polls does not equal votes - whether popular or electoral, right? You do understand THAT much, right?

19. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

We can't get a dollar amount, but we can get a basic idea:

http://fortune.com/2016/03/02/donald-trump-tax-returns-income/

But again the offshore thing worries me more because this is where the law is being broken, well possibly.

...and yes, Mrs. Clinton may have something to answer regarding GS. How the hell did we end up with these two?

How do you know this? We have to at least see them. But if there's absolutely nothing there then it wouldn't surprise me either and in a way, not releasing them allows the democrats to say all these rumors that may make some pull the lever for anybody but Trump.

Also on the bankruptcies. They do appear legal but it can be spun into something that makes him look dishonest and I assume the democrats will continue to say that Trump got off easy while partners lost money and people lost jobs and somehow he would do the same thing to America. Of course this isn't true but it's easy to put that argument out and have the press eat it up.

On realclearpolitics, since early last summer, Trump has only led 7 days in all those months among the major polls which includes Fox.

There's no doubt this election is more about spin than any other previous to it.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Because only a complete idiot would put illegal revenue/cash flow on an IRS form.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

22. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

I don't get where people are getting that Trump is doing something wrong or illegal from the linked article. Trump is not "hiding money offshore".

He owns stock in Corporations that are using "offshore subsidiary ( tax ) strategies". As do tens of millions of Americans.

Are we all breaking the law for owning stock in Apple?

23. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

From the Fortune article, it is true there won't be actual specifics, but we can get a sketch, but enough of a one that could call up questions. There is a bias against Trump from both Fortune and Forbes so if the tax returns are put out there, I would trust a non-interested third party to read into it.

What I am getting at is if Donald is an honest businessman.

I know he says insensitive things and flip flops but so do many politicians, including Hillary and her stupid basket comment.

I think most assume Mrs. Clinton is dishonest and on weird footing with finances, but America needs to take a closer look at Trump. He hasn't been a politician for long (admits he's a new politician but quick learner) so there's a little less interest all these years from the general public. But with politicians, the microscope is intensified and even the smallest things may be brought up.

If a billionaire businessman doesn't know how many dozen houses he owns, then no big deal, but if it's John McCain and he has a ton of houses, but doesn't know the exact number, then it becomes a political scandal. When the businessman, even a millionaire, doesn't know how many houses he has, it's still no big deal because there's a lot to attend to and it's not the public's business. But with John McCain, he got crucified because he was a politician, a key GOP senator, and could have been president. A different standard holds for politicians and among all the ups and downs in 2008, I think his "houses" were among the top issues that put people off about him. Suddenly his talk about the middle class had no credibility.

24. MarkusL macrumors 6502

How about option C:

Having much less money than you claim and keeping it all in offshore accounts.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

or Option D:
    he simply makes what he makes, but he pays a very low tax % due to sick American tax legislation?