Once Apple has released the iPad PRO 12.9" 2018, will I still be able to buy the 2017 models?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Apr 2, 2018.

1. hajime macrumors 601

Hello, I don't know if I am going to like those up-coming iPad PRO 2018 models. Based on your experience, once Apple has released the new iPad PRO 2018 models, how likely will we still be able to buy the current 2017 models in an Apple store?

2. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Since Apple has the 6th generation iPad recently released as its cheaper down market option, there is almost no chance they will keep the older iPad Pro models around once the new ones release. Having said that, you should still be able to pick them up from the Apple refurbished site if you have them in your location or country.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. The pattern seems to be that Apple announces new products at events and takes orders immediately. However, we can’t obtain nor try out new products in stores until few days later. During this period, can we buy existing iPad Pro 2017 in Apple stores? I always buy brand new so availability of refurbished ones won’t help.

If they make thinner bezels without the notch, I buy the 2018 model. If there is an ugly notch like the devil’s horns, I buy 2017 model.

4. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

They literally stop selling the older models and swap out the display models overnight before the big event. So, unfortunately I don't think that will work in official Apple stores. Maybe you could still buy the older models on non-Apple retailers : Best Buy, Target et al with inventories trailing off sharply after launch day since Apple won't replenish any older models.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. In another thread, it seems to be that it is better to buy direct from Apple in case something bad happen to the devices. Price-wise, just buy from wherever cheapest. If they do release the iPP 2018 in the first week of June, how many weeks in advance will we hear reliable information about the up-coming models? The latest rumors seem to point to the end of June from Chinese source.

6. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

Models still available might have reduced storage.

7. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

With regard to buying from Apple or not; it makes absolutely zero difference to your aftercare from apple (obviously as long as you don't want a refund). Just pop into your local Apple store and they'll help you out.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

As I recall, somewhere on the forum I read that in case something bad happen to the device, Apple would replace a new one if you buy from Apple Store. If you buy from other stores, then they will just try to fix it.

9. LorenK macrumors 6502

If you are talking generally, because retailers have to buy their inventory from Apple and they don't have insight as to when the new models are being released, they either will try to sell down inventory in the weeks leading up to an expected release or will mark down their existing inventory when the new model is released. You will have an opportunity to catch something at less than list price at that time, but it is a roll of the dice as to whether you can pick up the model that you want.

10. hajime thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks. Let's hope that in this month, we are getting some more info on what the new models are going to be like.

11. ActionableMango, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

There is no pattern. Yes, iPad Mini 4 and iPad 2018 were released on the same day that each were announced. However, the iPad 2017 was announced 3 days before release. Speaking specifically about iPad Pro 12.9's, gen 1 was announced more than a month before release and gen 2 was announced a week before release.

Some new stock of an old model can always be found somewhere after a new release, but can be hard to find and not necessarily all models, colors, and sizes. So if you absolutely must have new, buy one the day before announcement, keep it new in box, watch the announcement, and return it if you like new one better.

Seriously though, you should rethink your "new only" policy. A lot of companies' refurbs out there are a gamble, but Apple's refurbs for their iDevices is top notch. They are sent back to the factory and literally remanufactured...you get all new box and accessories, you get a new battery, and a new case. I have bought many Apple refurbs and they are almost indistinguishable from brand new.