Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Well, I just got everything setup for the new work area/desk. I am the proud owner of two 27" iMacs. One is the Core i5 and other is the Core i7. I will mainly be using the Core i7 for 1080p video encoding an the Core i5 will be day to day and photos. I have 16GB of RAM on the way for the Core i7 and the Core i5 will be at 8GB soon enough. Both have the crummy Seagate 1TB...both are quiet for now though.

DSCN1667-1.jpg

Screenshot2010-03-26at10110PM.png
Screenshot2010-03-26at125845PM.png

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Good for you!
Nice set up

I would recommend you put your 'restore discs' in a safe place
You will need them eventually

And if you don't have an adequate backup strategy, now is the time to arrange one
Data storage is always cheaper than data recovery

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
How does this compare to a MacPro and two monitors? I'd hate to have to deal with multiple keyboards and mice. I had a setup likethat here at work and now that I've consolidated to just one bigger dual xeon computer I'm better off.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Very nice... just a quick question. Why didn't you just get the i7 and max the ram and get a second monitor (even a second 27" iMac, but the cheaper C2D model) and extend the desktop? Is there a reason why you'd rather have the two separate machines? Seems to me one maxed out i7 would easily handle the tasks you mentioned. Just wonderin'...

Either way, I'd love to have EITHER OF THEM. :D

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
It's too bad--seems like the 27" on the i7 will be going to waste most of the time. I wonder if you can configure it to be the second monitor for your i5...

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
Err OP why don't you just using the i7 for everything....??? You aren't going to be encoding 24/7. And if you were then a iMac really isn't the best thing for it. I hope you are using some clever network task distribution or something.

you should do this:

i7 = main monitor/main computer

i5 = secondary monitor for i7 but has processes offloaded to it when you are doing long encoding tasks etc.

see Xgrid and Qmaster

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Now you can encode 2 videos at a time!

Screw getting 6core cpus for time saving on encodes. 2 computers at the same time will cut time spent encoding in half! The epitome of time saving!

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I would have gone with the 27" i7 iMac + 24" LED ACD as the second monitor in dual monitor mode.

Nonetheless they are nice. :)

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I find it amusing that some of you are criticizing the OP when you have no idea what he uses his computers for.

OP, good on ya. Enjoy your new systems!

Bryan

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
One has to ask: why? You could have just bought an i7 for everything and max out the RAM on that one. If you want a dual monitor set up, just get another monitor, or at least a C2D 27" iMac. I feel like you wasted money. oh well, do what you will.

People keep saying this, but it appears that he wanted two systems not one. Telling him to rely on an i7 with two monitors = 1 system. As capable as an i7 is, he felt the need to spread the workload. We're each our own guide in knowing what we want/need. Hell, he definitely didn't waste his money since the setup is still cheap for its capabilities, but he can always sell one of the two if he later thinks his setup is overkill.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I'm 25 and single. I run multiple businesses from home and I wanted to split the work load and no offense, but the 24" CD is tiny compared to the 27" iMac. I could've gone with the 27" Dell U2711, but I really wanted to have a matching setup.

The external drives are the SansDigital TS1CT...they are really nice enclosures and match the aluminum perfectly. My only gripe, if it even is one, is the activity LED is blue and not white...

I'm actually working on a couple of things for customers, one of which includes an i7 Hackintosh, which should be interesting considering the i7 920 will get to 4Ghz easily on air.

Thank you also for showing me Teleport. I had seen a review of it once and I couldn't remember the name. Down to one keyboard and mouse. I hate the wireless keyboard for some reason, so the keyboard I use is the wired.

skh

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
... My only gripe, if it even is one, is the activity LED is blue and not white...

I always open my external case and unplug the LED if there is one. The flickering drives me crazy and lights up the room if on at night.

Nice setup, by the way. I have a 27" hooked up to a 30" ACD. Obviously I can't complain, but the lack of uniformity between the monitors is also frustrating. Wish I could have got a 27" Matte that matched.

Palad1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2004
London, UK
Wicked setup...

Regarding the double keyboard/mouse combo, why don't you use Synergy (available through macports) and just instruct your i7 to act as a keyboard/mouse server?

I'm doing this between my iMac i7 and my MBP and it's really nice not having to switch keyboards.

If anyone knows how I could use the MBP as an external display for the iMac (not the other way around, the iMac is much much MUCH more powerful than the MBP) I'd be delighted to hear about it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.