One area that OS X is worse that Windows-switching between color/black&white printing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spaceballl, Apr 20, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Just some commentary...

I think that when printing something, it should be a top-level visible option to just quickly switch from color to black&white and vice versa. Instead you have to click on the PaperType/Quality Tab, go to the color profile, etc. I think for advanced users, those options should be there, but if i want to quickly switch to black and white, i'd love a slider right on the top level...

It's a bit easier to do this on Windows. Would be a small switch to remedy this.

2. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

You can. Their is a presets tab in your print setup window. I have one set up for quick, low quality, black ink only printing.
    Just set up the options you want and save it..

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Right - there's a 'presets' section which is handy. But if mom calls me from across the country asking how to change print settings, she really needs to dig through settings. I just think there should be a quick slider for print quality / color. Those are the most common tweaks.

4. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

It's three mouse clicks. If you think mom will have trouble then just do remote control of her desktop and setup a preset for her.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Right. I'm not trying to describe this as a solution without a problem. I'm merely making the suggestion that color / quality get bumped to the top level. :rolleyes:

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm going to disagree that this should be a first-pane option in the default dialogue; in 14+ years as a troubleshooter I've never once been asked how to switch to B&W, and I've only done it myself once that I can remember. It's just not something I see people doing often, if ever, these days--certainly not enough to warrant "front page" placement in the generic dialogue box. Additionally, generally if your tech level is high enough to understand why you'd want to explicitly set B&W printing it's high enough that this isn't hard to find.

Now, if a particular app made it a priority I believe it could be added to the default page for that app (as many apps modify the default options).

8. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

feedback = submitted
    Hmmm I disagree with you. Right now the "front page" options include page orientation and paper size. In a family environment with kids printing rough drafts and projects all the time, people always want to print off a quick draft to proof read or save ink, or save the color ink if it's not needed, etc.

In general, I find the OS X interfaces to be quite masterful. but the dropdown box of random print options in the print menu isn't very well organized.

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

you must be confusing us with the sympathy channel.... this is the cynical and bitter channel....

:D

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't know about your planet, but on mine the black ink or toner is consumed most rapidly. Switching from color to B&W or grayscale will only accelerate the consumption of black ink. And for what purpose?

11. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

faster printing / the color cartridges are more expensive. Silly planet.

12. mikeinternet macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

I agree. That should probably be a choice at the main print window.

Not that I ever print anything anyways.

13. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Silly indeed. Here on my planet, black costs only twice as much per volume as cyan, yellow, or magenta. At 30 pages/minute, speed is not an issue. Wonderful planet.

14. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

agree with spaceballs. the Windows printing dialogue is, simpler.

15. drossad macrumors regular

I agree with the OP. This has caused me much frustration at work because we have to pay a certain amount per color copy.

In fact, I still haven't found where to change from color to black/white.
    The OP's description didn't help me at all. I can't find a paper type/quality tab.

Anyone else have any direction for me?

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Even if you select B&W, most, if not all color inkjet printers WILL use all color ink to make the document.

Even if you only use black ink, the cost with inkjet is about 5x to 10x cost of a good b&w laser printer per page.

Better to get a B&W laser printer that has low cost per print to be the draft printer. Brother has some good ones.

17. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well I'm glad to see some people agree with me! I thought I was the only one at first. but yeah - i just think the printing menu, in general, is quite confusing. Not very clearly organized at all. I suppose the settings I mentioned wouldn't NEED to be on the top menu, as long as they were easy and intuitive to find, which they are currently not.