One aspect of iOS I wish they'd just fix....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Anotoneher, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Anotoneher macrumors member

I'm either the biggest idiot of all time, or this is one incredibly overlooked annoyance on the iPhone:

When viewing a text message on iOS you can't close the virtual keyboard to make the messages viewable on the entire screen. I miss the little "back" button on my Android phone that would make the keyboard disappear. It's unbelievably annoying when you have a tiny space to scroll up 30 messages to reread something.

It'd have been so easy for them to add a little "close" button or swipe gesture to close the keyboard when reading text messages :rolleyes:

Hopefully I'm not an idiot and just haven't figured out how to close the keyboard without exiting and reopening the message.

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

I agree its all about the little things. This used to annoy me as well. Now I just jailbreak and use BiteSMS, which does have this and so much more.

3. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

Word. When i had my iPhone I was always going out and back in to get the keyboard to disappear. Android conveniently has buttons to make it easy.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've always wanted a button to do this. I think that the Messages app is definitely going to get an upgrade in iOS 5.

5. A2DY macrumors member

it is one of the things that needs to be fixed,

going out of the message and back in to hide the keyboard is stupid when all it needs is a button or a gesture,

6. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

7. THE dAY macrumors 6502

Agree, I hit the "Edit" button to get rid of the keyboard but we should be able to just tap outside of the keyboard to remove it just like in Safari.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Maybe some people need to actual use the apple.com/feedback page?

9. Anotoneher thread starter macrumors member

Done.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

All that is needed is for the keyboard to hide when you tap on the messages area like how it works in other 3rd party apps (ex. official Twitter client). Easy and intuitive. Heck, it's probably only a few lines of code.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Nah, I like a button that does it. The iPad has one. It's great. And Twitter for iPhone doesn't do that...

12. QuarterSwede, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Really? Tap Search. Tap the search field. Tap in the dimmed out space and *shock* the keyboard disappears. Heck, even Mobile Safari does the same thing when inputting addresses.

13. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Is it me, or do certain keyboards (apps) have different configurations. Some keyboards have the ".com" and "@" sign. In certain apps, you can use the keyboard and a "Done" button allows you to close the keyboard. Why are they not all standard?

I definitely don't like the messenger keyboard hiding all the text messages.

14. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been backing out and going back in. But you would think you wouldn't have too. I also put in feedback about it. Maybe an update someday will fix it.

I am unwilling to jailbreak my phone for such a tiny annoyance.

15. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

I totally agree with you guys on this, it's one of about three things I miss on my Android phone. As someone who generally types very long texts (My friends all do, I don't know why) it's occasionally annoying to get more than the previous one or two texts to show up.

A workaround that might be slightly faster than that for you is to tap the "Edit" button in the top right corner. That's what I do - it shows a list of all the messages so you can delete or forward - and it moves the keyboard down. So that's an acceptable-ish fix until they really get it figured out, that's probably faster than backing out of the message and going back in.

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I agree with the keyboard issue.

I love iOS, but all of the things I would change about it are these little things. I think that Apple wants to keep it as simple as possible- that method has brought them great success. I see more "older" people getting in to tech now since the iPhone and iPad are so easy to use. Just touch what you want to do and it does it- you know, it's easy for people to pick up on quickly. But things like the notification system, the lack of customization options, the keyboard in the OP, etc... those are the things I would change if I could.

Ideally Apple would create a "basic" and "custom" setting on their iOS devices. Basic for the typical out of box set up, and custom for us users who want to unlock these little features. Most gadgets do this now-a-days. My sony camera, my sanyo camcorder, etc- they all have basic/custom switch-ability.

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

what if you're typing a lengthy message and want to copy and paste a previous text to include? You don't want the keyboard going away then, as you're not done typing. I agree there needs to be a way to close it but I'd rather it be a button on the keyboard

however, I think they need to fix the notifications before they bother with this

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

19. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Umm, there is no issue... Tap the chat field and the keyboard hides itself,

20. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

While we're on the subject of the messages app, I wish they would move the "Send" button somewhere else other than where it is now. I'm sure we've all accidentally pressed that instead of i, o, p, or backspace. Also, a cancel txt button. maybe have the send button turn into a red cancel button so you are able to cancel sending a txt before the progress bar reaches the end.

21. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

I had recently been thinking about the issue as well. Quite small, but annoying.

22. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

A unsend feature would rock my world. Sometimes when you open the message app it's in a conversation already and I will type a reply before realizing I'm in the wrong conversation. Nothing world shattering, but it would be convenient to have a 5 second window where you could cancel an outgoing message.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

My dumb phone can cancel sending a text message. With a software keyboard this should have been an obvious addition.

24. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Agreed, this is incredibly annoying and this is alls they need to do.

25. milani macrumors 68000

milani