One aspect of the battery complaints that makes me laugh... dual core CPU!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by isoft7, Oct 19, 2011.

1. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

People seem ignorant to the fact that while adding a second core to a CPU doesn't increase power consumption by 2x, it does certainly increase the drain just the same.

So, those who seem absolutely shocked by the lesser battery life of the 4s... pop the A5 out and put an A4 in if it's such a life or death issue for you. :D

Also, I'd assume the new antenna design has something to do with the battery life differences.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

3. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

90% of what gets posted here isn't technically worthy of a thread, but until we have to pay per post, why not?

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

what a horrible philosophy regarding trash posts (as both of yours in this thread are.)

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

He actually has a point....

6. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting that you feel your opinion holds enough value to provide justification for judgement of mine.

The irony is obvious.

But this forum is blind to things that are most obvious any ways.

7. oshia86 macrumors regular

I think they see that how obvious it is that this thread sucks. [​IMG]

8. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

And once again, to suggest your judgement of what is valuable information, or topic worthy conversation is more accurate or precise than mine is the absolute height of arrogance.

I have yet to see a single reference made to the battery "issues" experienced having anything to do with the new dual core CPU and as it seems the vast majority of iPhone users are ridiculously undereducated when it comes to all things technical, I felt a desire to create this thread and point out something that seems terribly obvious to me.

If you feel there is no benefit to what I have posted, don't read it.

It's stuff like this that makes me feel like an idiot for buying an Apple product.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You forget about a few things.

1. People are complaining about battery life that doesn't last 8 hours with very light usage. This is a bug not a number of core issues.

2. Dual cores would complete the task much faster leaving more time of the CPU in a sleep mode.

3. When viewing CPU usage often my phone sits at 50-70% while doing nothing once again this is a bug.

4. The CPU should be more effecient so it will make up for the dual core aspect to some extent.

Once the issues are sorted out then we can have a fair comparison to the iPhone 4 for battery life.

10. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Dual core or even quad core chips don't necessarily draw more power over an older single core.
    The newer chips are built to be more efficient and draw less juice stay cooler etc...

11. oshia86 macrumors regular

lol at your attempt to make yourself sound more informed than others here.

Here is a hint, there are tons of people on this forum that know the technical aspects of a dual core cpu, and how that effects the phones battery and other components.

Did you ever consider that the new dual core CPU might have more power management, a better process, etc. to make it more efficient than the older A4?

12. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

1. People who complain about battery life not lasting 8 hours with only light use have a very skewed idea of what "light use" really means.

2. Only if all applications/tasks were written to be multithreaded and done so in a way that utilizes both cores as best as possible... which has never been accomplished.

3. That would seem a bug, I agree with you there.

4. Doesn't work that way.

...if it was an actual software defect with iOS5, all users would experience these same issues, not just some. I have had no problems with mine, because I actually know how to use technology and understand just what to expect.

----------

Ah, if only I could discuss my career openly, the things I could add to this conversation. :D

----------

Then someone should have made this exact same argument, no?

13. oshia86 macrumors regular

OMG, I can't believe you are the first person to ever think of this! THANK YOU!!!

Is that the response you were looking for?

14. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hah, hardly... I didn't expect anyone to praise my thread, but I also didn't expect anyone to be a dick about it either.

Strange how in todays world we can't seem to ever find a middle ground, everything always has to be so "x-treme".

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

like the fact that the board is being overrun by battery posts, 99% of which are a rehash of what's been said in the batterygate thread.

16. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

...and this interferes with your life personally, exactly how?

17. oshia86 macrumors regular

Where, in that post, does it refer to anything of the such?

18. nishishei macrumors regular

Sounds like an argument for pay as you go health care.

19. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Again, the obvious... for him to take time out of his day to chastise me, or anyone else for such a post, means he has some form of emotional connection to the topic. Otherwise he'd never have paused long enough to respond and judge my validity of my thread.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Doesn't make sense... first, the problem isn't universal; some people experience it and some people don't.

More importantly, I don't remember seeing anything like that when the dual-core ipad2 came out.

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

it interferes with everyone's experience on the forum, because since so many very important people seem to think their special battery thoughts warrant a separate thread, other NON battery topics get pushed to the second, third, and fourth pages, where few venture. people who have new or interesting things to add or need help keep getting shoved out of the way.

22. oshia86 macrumors regular

Also, the 4s does not have a "lesser battery", but actually a higher capacity one. The other components of the phone just might have a little more draw on said battery.

One thing I can say though, is that my 4s battery is lasting as long, or longer than the one in my 3gs.

23. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

24. oshia86 macrumors regular

Then what is your emotional connection to the topic?

25. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iPad 2 does demonstrate shorter battery life than the iPad 1 in real world testing, along with that, the iPad 2 has a slightly larger battery than the iPad 1 did.

----------

Oh wow... however will they go on? :(

I apologize for ruining everyone's experience.

And it is interesting you are able to speak for EVERYONE that view this forum.

You must be some sort of king, or God. Cool. :cool:

Bottom line, you don't like it, don't post it in, why? It falls to the bottom quicker that way. AMAZING!