One for the Brits - The incredible PWEI Reformation!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
brap said:
...well, for 3 dates, at http://pweination.org/.

I'll be going to at least one, probably two :D :eek:

Can't believe I was talking about this a couple of days ago...
*sings* Mother nature, father time, used to be good friends of mine, but now we've put them in a home, filed under 'uses unknown'

Hope I know what I'm talking about...you guys don't have ANOTHER acronym for PWEI do you? ;)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Holy sh*t Mother Of God!!!

I just got the email this morning!! :D

The Poppies are on Patrol!!! :D

*digs out old PWEI Amalgamation tour Tee from '94*

brap... you doing London??? and to think, we were only waxing rhapsodic about the possibilities a few days ago!!

SAMPLE IT! LOOP IT! F**K IT! AND EAT IT! :D

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
iGAV said:
Yeah, that just about summed up my response too. Well, I just went 'Aaaarghpmp!" as I read the email... generally frightening those in a close vicinity. I'll be doing, hopefully, the first Birmingham date with my missus, and the London date with a few choice mates. Be sure to make yourself known sir! Going to be a busy weekend!

- What do you suppose the playlist will be like? I don't know how they'll decide, tbh, they may just make it a super-duper length show.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
brap said:
Be sure to make yourself known sir! Going to be a busy weekend!
we should hook up for beer before hand! ;)

brap said:
What do you suppose the playlist will be like? I don't know how they'll decide, tbh, they may just make it a super-duper length show.
the Poppies were never known for playing long gigs, usually topping off at a shin splints laden, incendiary 60-70 minute mark or so. :D

as for material, heaven only knows... :D it'll skim off the more popular stuff from every album from 'This Is The Day This Is The Hour' through to 'Dos Dedos Mis Amigos' though... :D

I've got them on heavy rotation on the iGav Hi-Fi at the mo, so I'll post my ideal playlist later! ;) :D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Something like this... not my ideal list, but a good compromise ;)

We'll start with...

Ich Bin Ein Auslander (listen to the version from the Aston Villa Leisure Centre... one of the tracks on the yellow 'Everything's Cool' CD, and you'll know why ;) )
Eat Me Drink Me Love Me Kill Me
Wise Up Sucker!
Get The Girl Kill The Baddies
I Am The One
T+A=$
Bulletproof
Karmadrome
Everything's Cool
Kick To Kill
Underbelly
88 Seconds And Counting
Cape Connection (they need to sort those starting synths though, as they always sounded weak live in comparison with the recorded version)

Encore

Menofearthereaper (with Clint banging out that riff solo with a glittery Les Paul)
Their Law (PWEI own the Prodigy on this one)
Can U Dig It?
Def.Con.One (it's tradition)

Still can't believe that I'm talking about seeing the incredible PWEI again!! :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
mkrishnan said:
*sings* Mother nature, father time, used to be good friends of mine, but now we've put them in a home, filed under 'uses unknown'
Damn weird - I just moved a couple months ago and was unpacking my cds last week and came across PWEI - had to give it a listen.....

What are their shows like?

D

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
iGAV said:
We'll start with...
Ich Bin Ein Auslander (listen to the version from the Aston Villa Leisure Centre... one of the tracks on the yellow 'Everything's Cool' CD, and you'll know why ;) )
Eat Me Drink Me Love Me Kill Me
Wise Up Sucker!
Get The Girl Kill The Baddies
I Am The One
T+A=$
Bulletproof
Karmadrome
Everything's Cool
Kick To Kill
Underbelly
88 Seconds And Counting
Cape Connection
Menofearthereaper (with Clint banging out that riff solo with a glittery Les Paul)
Their Law (PWEI own the Prodigy on this one)
Can U Dig It?
Def.Con.One (it's tradition)
Hmm... Sounds good, but I'd prefer to see less of the Dos Dedos stuff, that never did inspire me the way it does for everyone else.
Definitely 'Their Law' though, that track rules, and of course 'Everything's cool'. Hard core Ministry samples. You did miss out 'Nightmare at 20,000ft', which is one of my all time favourites... there's some proper sincerity in that one!
Coward baby has to be in the encore. No other way about it. Maybe we'll see some surprises? I've been thinking about who could possibly support, and drew a complete blank.

Well, I mean, I'd haemorrhage if it was Killing Joke, but like that will happen.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
What are their shows like?
you should come over in January to find out! ;) :D

PWEI Amalgamation Tour, Leeds Town & Country Club 1994.... best gig I've ever been too... ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iGAV said:
you should come over in January to find out! ;) :D

PWEI Amalgamation Tour, Leeds Town & Country Club 1994.... best gig I've ever been too... ;)
ha, that would be great - but I don't know if I'd like to visit in the winter... I haven't been to England and I think late spring to early fall would be better if I came over.

So what made it the best gig ever? Hard to imagine it was 10 years ago, though....

D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
brap said:
You did miss out 'Nightmare at 20,000ft', which is one of my all time favourites... there's some proper sincerity in that one!
So weird.... I swapped that for '88 Seconds', it was a toss up, I was playing 'At Weirds Bar And Grill' and had to make a decision between the 2! ;)

will be a blinder though... they've got so much material to sift through, I would've thought they'd go for a more 'poppy' set, you know the hits so to speak...

I'm just wondering whether this will mean a new album, or whether it'll be like a EMF/Neds thing where it's just a few gigs, Clints doing well with his soundtrack stuff... so maybe it's that farewell that they robbed us of back in '96?? hope not!! :D

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Mr. Anderson said:
ha, that would be great - but I don't know if I'd like to visit in the winter... I haven't been to England and I think late spring to early fall would be better if I came over...
It rains here all the time, don't let these new fangled seasons fool you :rolleyes:

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
ha, that would be great - but I don't know if I'd like to visit in the winter... I haven't been to England and I think late spring to early fall would be better if I came over.

So what made it the best gig ever? Hard to imagine it was 10 years ago, though....

D
Autumn/Winter is the best time to visit London IMHO, it's nice and cool (cold and wet too) but it sure beats being stuck on the Tube in the middle of June... ;)

November is actually a cool time to visit, we're just winding up for the Christmas season, and everything has that almost glacial quality, all fresh and shiny (that'll be the rain), and I heartly recommend frequenting 'The Bar With No Name' as they provide lush toastie sandwiches over a beautifully chilled pint, whilst watching the hustle and bustle of Shaftesbury Avenue flow by... ;)

What made it such an amazing gig?? well The Designers Republic provided the eye candy, it wasn't all that long since RCA had dropped them so they were all wired up and fired up, the sheer volume of the music (PWEI are well known for bringing their own PA equipment to handle the extra bass), the juxtaposition of hip hop, toasting, dance and industrial, 2 of the most charismatic frontmen in the business, a crowd that pogo's like pneumatic drills and the fact they they are one of the most original, funky and innovative bands on the planet! sooooooooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooood!! :)

No one comes close... not even Underworld! ;)

yuc7zhd2

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
Crap, I might have to come. I'm trying to get a UK job with BP. Beers for all if I've moved yet. Damn UK work visas.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
yuc7zhd2 said:
Crap, I might have to come. I'm trying to get a UK job with BP. Beers for all if I've moved yet. Damn UK work visas.
*subliminal* do it... do it... do it...*

if only for the beers!! :eek: :p :p ;)

superfurryboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2004
I just got my ticket and am happy as hell. I can't believe it is actually happening. I was at one of the Stuffies reunion gigs a while back and after playing their cover of PWEI's 'Inside You', Miles Hunt was imploring the Poppies to get back together and now they have. I couldn't be more chuffed.

Mind you The Stuffies comeback has gone very pear shaped, they all hate each other again now.

....very much like scruffy pigs to look at....

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Got our tickets for the Birmigham gig, it's going to come to about £100 all told with travel... I'll try and rustle up some cash for the London gig, if it hasn't sold out already :(

Might have to pass up on that beer. Humbug!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Finally got mine for London :D been trying all morning... :rolleyes: seemed like London sold out almost instantly at first, as I kept getting Ticket Allocation Data errors, and then the London option disappeared altogether :eek:

After multiple browser cache emptying and reloading managed to eventually get my ticket though :D

I'm figuring that maybe Ticket Master are streaming the tickets for sale, say 200-300 every hour, so that the touts don't nab them all in one go, or maybe that London did infact sell out immediately, but some people were having problems completing the payment details within the 5 minute alloted time and they come back online!!

So brap... why Brum over London?? and superfurryboy which gig you going to??

f**king can't wait for January!!! :D gotta get match fit for this one!! heehee!! :p

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
iGAV said:
So brap... why Brum over London??
Well, believe it or not, the return journey to Canterbury is a lot simpler from Birmingham, than from London. Go figure. The London gig we'd probably have to leave early to catch the f**king National express!

-- Plus the missus wants to go, and she's teaching Monday-Friday. I'm definitely still on it, though, because I know a couple of other people who might want to go and grab a b&b somewhere.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
brap said:
I'm definitely still on it, though, because I know a couple of other people who might want to go and grab a b&b somewhere.
a guy on pweination has said he's spoken to Ticket Master, and the tickets are been streamed, and aren't sold out for London yet, with more to go on sale on Monday, so you should be okay if you can get the $$$ together for London.

superfurryboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2004
I'm going to Brum on the Saturday (standing of course)

I'm living up north after 8 years in London, and London would be easier for me as i have loads of mates who i can crash with. But Brum is Saturday and that makes life much easier workwise, and I can have a bit of a weekender, i haven't figured out where to go after but there must be something decent going on. Maybe i will try the legendary JBs.

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
iGAV said:
a guy on pweination has said he's spoken to Ticket Master, and the tickets are been streamed, and aren't sold out for London yet, with more to go on sale on Monday, so you should be okay if you can get the $$$ together for London.
Couldn't make London, but they're doing the warm-up gig at Rock City in my home town! :eek: :D

Like, woo. Going to be a full-on insane few days!

brap

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Mmmm... I'm covered in PWEI bruises.

I hope they heal before Saturday! You guys are in for a treat -- if the warmup gig has gone this well, f**k knows about the "real" dates. My mama told me, to tell you they'd kick ass... and fully pwn the Prodigy.

Pity about the support - they sounded like Travis, only slower, and... well, just as crap. F**k their crappy acoustic guitars, man. Dirty.

Images n' spoilers (photo of setlist) here. Of note - there was not one, but two 15" Al Powerbooks on stage! Please excuse the poor quality - 'twas dark, and I'm no professional photographer.

iGav, if you get to the front be sure to look out for Stephanie (Short brunette, really pretty - skull knitted hat. Probably there from the sound check!) and say 'Hi', she's come all the way from Wisconsin, and is lovely! I gave her the drumstick I scored, because she was so nice. I'm a sucker for a pretty face :rolleyes: :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
So what were they like in Brum??? is the venue any good??? :)

I'm currently in the process of getting *coughs* well oiled for tonights gig... we're hitting Brum at about 5pm to further lube up the joints! Can't wait heehee!

Can you pogo or what! :D