One Handed Use: How big are your hands?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appswipe, Sep 17, 2012.

?

How big is your iPhone hand?

1. My thumb doesn't reach either the opposite or top bezel

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. My thumb tip just about touches the opposite bezel AND the top bezel

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. My thumb tip touches the opposite bezel but NOT the top bezel

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. My thumb tip goes far beyond the opposite bezel and earpiece

23 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. I don't care. Smartphones were never one handed devices.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. No Thumb

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. appswipe macrumors 6502

A popular theory about the size of the iPhone is "Anything bigger than the iPhone is unusable with one hand". But I'm curious if that's actually true.

[​IMG]

Grab your 3.5" iPhone and lets see how far your thumb reaches comfortably.

2. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

There's no law that says Apple can't keep the digital keyboard the same legnth as the 4S and just have extra space to the left of it (or to the right, for a left-handed person).

3. appswipe thread starter macrumors 6502

I know what you mean, but a bigger keyboard is one of the reasons I want a bigger screen. I make a lot of mistakes typing (and especially trying to aim that cursor to correct them).

Personally, I really question the whole "one handed operation" excuse. I buy normal sized gloves so Im guessing my hands arent abnormally large, yet I could still grip the entire iPhone comfortably and touch my thumb to my fingertips. So based on the above graphic I'd have no problem using that larger phone, but Im curious about everyone else. Do people out here really have tiny hands or am I buying the wrong glove size.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I find one-handed operation uncomfortable for all but the most basic of tasks, it's just more comfortable to type (or do any significant task) with two hands.

5. wongulous macrumors 6502a

Different sized iPods and laptops and maybe even iPads make sense, not to mention books and TVs and cars and clothes and gloves. I don't get why iPhones are still a single size. Well, I suppose with the 4/4S and the 5 there are two sizes...

6. KandyKane macrumors 6502

If I hold my phone like that, I can't reach the bottom inch or so of the screen.
    I "cradle" the bottom with my pinky and the phone just rests on my other fingers and then I can use my thumb. I guess if someone walked into me my phone would go flying into my face.
    I have small girl hands and big girl nails though...

7. appswipe thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually hold the bottom of the phone with my pinky also for no conscious reason other than comfort. But Im curious how it will be with a longer phone where you probably will have to grip a bit higher.

8. SoloStyle macrumors regular

I can easily use an HTC Evo 4G with one hand, and it's the perfect screen size at 4.3". I think this has more to do with Apple locking themselves into certain screen dimensions and not knowing how to expand it without creating fragmentation.

9. enophi1 macrumors 6502a

enophi1

My thumb tip goes far beyond the opposite bezel and earpiece

*sobs* I have such "man hands"

I have very very long fingers for a female. So I should have no problems with the iphone 5 lol

10. Agent-P, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

My fingers are rather long compared to the size of my hand (but not abnormally so!). I am also one of those people that puts my pinky on the bottom of my phone to support it. I haven't had an iPhone in a while, but on my HTC Radar (3.8" screen) I can reach all parts pretty comfortably with one hand. And I can type with one hand too, I prefer typing with two hands because it's quicker. Though I really hope this rumoured Microsoft keyboard concept could become a real thing for smartphones.

Attached Files:

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'm tallish for a woman but have tiny hands and short fingers. I hold the bottom of my phone with my pinky also and can hit the side bezel with no problem but can't quite reach the top one.