HomePod One HomePod, Two Users - How Can Siri Recognize Us Individually?

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
So I had to not only remove the homepods from my home, reset them, install them back into my home, but then finally realized that the Siri language settings were MISSING from the homepod settings. Tried a ton of stuff, but I think what worked was disabling Siri completely on the homepods, erasing Siri history on the homepods, restarting them (not resetting again), enabling Siri on the HomePod setting and finally I saw the language and voice choice on my homepods again. Multi user support worked from that point. No joke, I spent hours on this to finally get it working. Not the best user experience I’ve ever had. 🙄

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
So I had to not only remove the homepods from my home, reset them, install them back into my home, but then finally realized that the Siri language settings were MISSING from the homepod settings. Tried a ton of stuff, but I think what worked was disabling Siri completely on the homepods, erasing Siri history on the homepods, restarting them (not resetting again), enabling Siri on the HomePod setting and finally I saw the language and voice choice on my homepods again. Multi user support worked from that point. No joke, I spent hours on this to finally get it working. Not the best user experience I’ve ever had. 🙄
Well, that’s something I haven’t tried yet. I’ll give that a whirl. Still, this smells so much of a bad update that needs fixing.

follow up: didn’t work for me.

Last edited:

stgeorge602

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2018
Finally got my HomePod to recognize my wife's voice and mine.

I reset everything associated with my Home app and the Homepod. Unfortunately, when I tried to reconnect my LifX Z light strips, Siri was unable to control them. In both the Home and LifX Apps they are paired and I can control them through the apps but voice control is not working.

I've tried resetting the light strips multiple times and still a no-go. I'll try again later when I get home.

tbone7467

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
I called apple about my issue with personal requests, they are tracking a bug right now. I was told that I met all the criteria and to keep and eye out for an update to be released soon. I would suggest calling support to show there is a wider issue.

Reactions: nwcs

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Add me to the doesn't work crowd. Works for me, but won't for my wife (and she's very tired of me trying things and making her come in the room and say 'Hey Siri who is this?' and being told 'I don't know who this is').

I'm not resetting everything under the sun for this feature, I wish they would just make it work.

chino-rican

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Virginia
Add me to the doesn't work crowd. Works for me, but won't for my wife (and she's very tired of me trying things and making her come in the room and say 'Hey Siri who is this?' and being told 'I don't know who this is').

I'm not resetting everything under the sun for this feature, I wish they would just make it work.
Spent a few minutes trying to fix the same issue. I simply told my wife "it won't work, other people are having issues." She insisted I keep trying. The first thing I did was turn off Hey Siri on her phone and retrain with her voice. Then I removed her from the Home app and re-sent her an invite. Accepted on her phone and tried again. Everything works now. Persistence paid off this time.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2012
Spent a few minutes trying to fix the same issue. I simply told my wife "it won't work, other people are having issues." She insisted I keep trying. The first thing I did was turn off Hey Siri on her phone and retrain with her voice. Then I removed her from the Home app and re-sent her an invite. Accepted on her phone and tried again. Everything works now. Persistence paid off this time.
Tried that already when the software update came out, didn’t work for her...
Have spent enough time trying to make it work, resigned to wait for the next update, and maybe then it just works?

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
This is one of the steps I actually tried, and it did not work for me. I've tried quite a bit actually, but I'm not going to reset the HomePods (or my Home app).

digduggler

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Anyone try since the update today?

Edit: Updated my iPhone, my wife's iPhone, both HomePods, uninvited her from the Home, reset the HomePods, re-invited her (and turned on recognize my voice and personal requests) and the damn thing still doesn't work.

Last edited:

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Installed the latest update. Toggled various settings on and off. When I ask Siri who I am, she recognizes me. However, it cannot play any of my iTunes Match music playlists.