One Huge Request For iMessages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anonjd, Oct 26, 2012.

1. anonjd macrumors member

I'd like it if I could change my called ID for each individual caller. Here's why. There are times you may want to chat with someone on iMessages, but not necessarily have them have your number. So, you just give them any email linked to your iMessages. But, if you have your phone number set as your caller ID, you have to check to make sure it's set to an email you like.

It'd be nice if I could go into contact and set the caller ID for each contact and then the caller ID setting in the settings app of iMessages would be the generic one, that would apply to those not in your contacts.

I'm not sure if I was clear, or just confused you guys more.

2. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

Oh, I see.... You don't want your wife to know. Great idea!

3. anonjd thread starter macrumors member

Wouldn't want my wife to know what?

How does me changing my caller ID have to do anything with my wife, or girlfriend? It's so not everyone I want to talk to via iMessages would have my number.

4. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

Come on now. Just kidding with ya. That is a good idea as I mentioned.

5. anonjd thread starter macrumors member

My bad, I apologize. Really hard to convey tone in just text. I thought you were being sarcastic. Sorry about that...

6. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Personally, I find that anyone worth imessaging with, already has my number. As such, I'm curious how great the demand might be for what you are asking?

7. epphllps macrumors 6502

I think it could be a useful option. How much trouble could it possible be to add more diversity in the options? Unfortunately, Apple isn't good with providing vast options for more tech savvy consumers.

8. FallenAnjel macrumors member

Well it would have been nice, so my ex didn't know I got an iPhone, because there really was no reason for him to know. I had my itunes email for my "return address" but if he had no wifi it would go thru as a text and show my number.

There's no way to turn off texting and use iMessage only, is there?

For this reason alone it may not work. iMessage to and iPad or iPod will ALWAYS say your email and the message only goes thru wifi. But to send from cell phone to cell phone it will ALWAYS be converted to cellular if the other person is not connected to wifi.

The only way this would work is if you can totally turn off ALL CELLULAR (including 2G).

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

10. ProudLoz macrumors regular

I feel the same way. I'm really trying to think of a way where I would want to hide my phone number from one of my contacts. To be honest, they're in my contacts for a reason, because we've exchanged numbers in the past and I want them to get ahold of me one way or another.

iMessage kinda works like Whatsapp, it'll only work with people from your contacts list. If you get a stranger to iMessage you and you don't know this person, then I believe you have a bigger problem than just iMessage.

Someone else mentioned about an ex-girlfriend/boyfriend. That would be a good idea, but I believe having the ability to block some numbers or e-mails would be great. Of course, that ends up being a bit useless since that person that's bothering you could instead use SMS or e-mail if they know that info.

11. aleni macrumors 68020

i always use email as a sender for my ft and imsg. so when someday i change my phone number. it will be a lot less of hassle.

12. shawnwich macrumors 6502

shawnwich

can't you just have different e-mail addresses in your imessage account and give them out to different people

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not a bad feature and shouldnt be hard to implement by Apple on a firmware update.

14. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

While they are it, if they could add SMS integration in to the desktop app (and an iCloud app) they could have a real competitor against Google voice.

15. anonjd thread starter macrumors member

That would be amazing.

Now that they link your number, if you have an iPhone, to your Apple ID can't you set your iPod or iPad's iMessage caller ID to your number, if you chose to? I know that on my Mac it gives me the option to set my number as my caller ID on message I send from my Mac.

I've just found myself in situation where I either didn't want the person to know my email address or my phone number... I know this must sound shady, but it's really not. And I don't want to bore you guys with reasons...

I do agree with what everyone has said though, so far. And this probably is something only a very small percentage of iPhone users would actually have any use for.