One in four is Muslim, study says

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
A report from an American think-tank has estimated 1.57 billion Muslims populate the world - with 60% in Asia.

The report, by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, took three years to compile, with census data from 232 countries and territories.

It showed that 20% of Muslims lived in the Middle East and North Africa.

The data also showed that there were more Muslims in Germany than in Lebanon, and more in Russia than in Jordan and Libya together.

MUSLIM POPULATION BY REGION
Asia-Pacific: 61.9%
Middle East - North Africa: 20.1%
Sub-Saharan Africa: 15.3%
Europe: 2.4%
Americas: 0.3%
BBC.

I wonder what the figure is for the other major wastes of time religions. I wonder if this worries them. You can't all be right!

All hail the Dudeists! http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/BowDown.gif

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I love the way they play the population statistics. I bet there are more Christians in Germany than in Vatican City too :D

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
BBC.

I wonder what the figure is for the other major wastes of time religions. I wonder if this worries them. You can't all be right!

All hail the Dudeists! http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/BowDown.gif
couldn't resist another religion bashing post? Does MacRumors have a quota for these?

Don't worry, I am quite sure the Muslims will peacefully coexist with you haters.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Irony, you're doing it right.

couldn't resist another religion bashing post? Does MacRumors have a quota for these?

Don't worry, I am quite sure the Muslims will peacefully coexist with you haters.
Couldn't resist bashing another religion bashing post?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm not religious but I have to agree. If we had regular posts against consoles or companies that person would be banned for trolling, I'm sure.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
I love the way they play the population statistics. I bet there are more Christians in Germany than in Vatican City too :D
Or even in Tehran. :D

The strangest sight I ever saw (on the web) was Christmas... ...in Tehran, of all the places. ;) Apparently, there's a small Christian population there.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3335150516_d01d4f61f0_m.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3373/3335150514_2f7a514756_m.jpg

But I digress. Anyway, yeah, agreed with point about spin on numbers. From recollection, it's something like 33% Christian, 25% Muslim, 15% Hindu, 16% atheism or theistic but nonreligious, 10% 'all the rest', worldwide. Will be interesting to see if Christians starts to feel threatened if being eclipsed by the Muslims at some point and see the reaction.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Or even in Tehran. :D

The strangest sight I ever saw (on the web) was Christmas... ...in Tehran, of all the places. ;) Apparently, there's a small Christian population there.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3335150516_d01d4f61f0_m.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3373/3335150514_2f7a514756_m.jpg

But I digress. Anyway, yeah, agreed with point about spin on numbers. From recollection, it's something like 33% Christian, 25% Muslim, 15% Hindu, 16% atheism or theistic but nonreligious, 10% 'all the rest', worldwide. Will be interesting to see if Christians starts to feel threatened if being eclipsed by the Muslims at some point and see the reaction.
Iran isn't as crazy as Ahmdaninejwhatever makes it out to be. I saw a documentary on the BBC once about Tehran and life there, and it looked like it could've been New York, LA or London. It looked just like any modern major city in the world and I think it could be a good tourist destination if Ahmdajinecrazy didn't give his country such a bad name.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I'm not religious but I have to agree. If we had regular posts against consoles or companies that person would be banned for trolling, I'm sure.
That's not exactly the same thing. PRSI topics, by their vary nature, mean disagreements but that doesn't automatically mean trolling.

As if rampant political correctness is not impeding enough, I don't think we need more of it in here. The religious among us can usually give as much as their given.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
1 in 4 eh? I was gonna say that's a bit impossible over here in the USA but it makes more sense now that I see this data.

EDIT: Nothing like the religious folk to get up in arms. Bring on the fear mongering!!!

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I wonder what the muslim population in the Americas was before september 2001...
While it might have been higher (a lot of non-document/non-residents left), that was around 8 years ago, so it might have recovered.

I recall that the number is closer to 6mil in the US. I need to read more of the report to see how they collected the data.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
To be fair, the OP here(and many Atheists, Agnostics) will mocking religion,but are all for peaceful coexistence. You don't see many irreligious groups who go out killing those who believe.

Thats also true of religious people(by and large), peaceful coexistence is pretty popular(which is a great thing!)

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
It would be interesting to see some historical data. What were the percentages 100 years ago, etc.

I think if you were to look at the figures, oil wealth probably parallels population growth in oil producing muslim nations. The continued repression of Muslim women is probably another reason.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
It would be interesting to see some historical data. What were the percentages 100 years ago, etc.

I think if you were to look at the figures, oil wealth probably parallels population growth in oil producing muslim nations.
I am sure a general wealth will play part in population growth, but not necessarily. Egypt for example is very populous, but is not really an oil-wealthy nation.

The continued repression of Muslim women is probably another reason.
How so? and how do you decide that all Muslim women are repressed?

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

I think if you were to look at the figures, oil wealth probably parallels population growth in oil producing muslim nations. The continued repression of Muslim women is probably another reason.
That is a pretty interesting thought, especially since 20% or so of Muslims are in the Middle East.

I imagine a great deal of the Asian Muslim population is in Indonesia, which does have a decent oil industry but is not a major exporter.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
I am sure a general wealth will play part in population growth, but not necessarily. Egypt for example is very populous, but is not really an oil-wealthy nation.

How so? and how do you decide that all Muslim women are repressed?
In regards to the oil producing countries of the ME, if they didn't have oil, then the only thing they would be exporting would be themselves. In order for substantial and sustained population growth to occur, there needs to be some sort of fuel for the fire.

I think it's telling that the Muslim countries with the most migrants and refugees are the most impoverished as well.

Egypt was also doing pretty well until its population growth outstripped its ability to grow food and provide jobs. Now where is it?

In Iran, abortion and birth control was banned after the ayatollahs took over. The birth rate skyrocketed and it wasn't too many years before the ayatollahs realized the error of their ways.

I think the average birth rate in Yemen is between 7 and 8 children per woman. Are all those women voluntarily bearing that many children?

High birth rates are almost a certain guarantee of the early death of the mother as well as complications from pregnancy and childbirth.

Since many muslim countries believe in keeping it in the family, there are also high rates of mental retardation and other physical and mental problems associated with incest. Few women choose to marry their close relatives...

My overall point is that oil producing countries have misused their profits to maintain a way of life that should have died out with the dodo. That way of life is rarely respectful of women as human beings.

You don't need to look very far back in Western history to discover a time when women where chattel, but by doing so, I guarantee that you'll be disgusted with the way they were treated. It's time to move on.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
In regards to the oil producing countries of the ME, if they didn't have oil, then the only thing they would be exporting would be themselves. In order for substantial and sustained population growth to occur, there needs to be some sort of fuel for the fire.

I think it's telling that the Muslim countries with the most migrants and refugees are the most impoverished as well.

Egypt was also doing pretty well until its population growth outstripped its ability to grow food and provide jobs. Now where is it?

In Iran, abortion and birth control was banned after the ayatollahs took over. The birth rate skyrocketed and it wasn't too many years before the ayatollahs realized the error of their ways.

I think the average birth rate in Yemen is between 7 and 8 children per woman. Are all those women voluntarily bearing that many children?

High birth rates are almost a certain guarantee of the early death of the mother as well as complications from pregnancy and childbirth.

Since many muslim countries believe in keeping it in the family, there are also high rates of mental retardation and other physical and mental problems associated with incest. Few women choose to marry their close relatives...

My overall point is that oil producing countries have misused their profits to maintain a way of life that should have died out with the dodo. That way of life is rarely respectful of women as human beings.

You don't need to look very far back in Western history to discover a time when women where chattel, but by doing so, I guarantee that you'll be disgusted with the way they were treated. It's time to move on.
How do you explain the population growth in China and India then?

Also I'm pretty sure the population explosion in Iran was due to the Iraq war, the ayatollah's actually encouraged population growth because they had no idea how long the war would last, and needed people to fight in it. I highly doubt it was because of a ton of teenagers having unprotected sex all of a sudden.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
How do you explain the population growth in China and India then?

Also I'm pretty sure the population explosion in Iran was due to the Iraq war, the ayatollah's actually encouraged population growth because they had no idea how long the war would last, and needed people to fight in it. I highly doubt it was because of a ton of teenagers having unprotected sex all of a sudden.
Here's an article in Slate that gives a good overview of Iran's population and there's a good article in Wikipedia with a graph of Iran's population growth.

India is #90 on the UN population growth index and China is #156.

China's population growth as a percentage is of course very small since they instituted the one child policy in the early 80s.

The green revolution in India led to explosive population growth but perhaps you have forgotten that India's population policies were also pretty repressive in the 70s with forced abortions and sterilizations.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland

Isn't that the standard reasons for anybody to migrate? the Irish? Mexicans? etc?

But Egypt has had a very long history of war and major corruption that impacted it. Still nothing to do with oil and still a population growth. Basically what I am saying is, your OIL theory doesn't hold up to most countries in the ME, because population growth is still high in many regardless of the oil wealth.

I don't know much about Iran, so I cannot comment there, but the people I know (and no, they are not liberal pro-shah people) do not have that many kids.

Do you have evidence that they are all being coerced? Why don't you bring up Syria as an example? Jordan? Algeria? Malaysia?

I still don't see how you see the population growth as a sign of repression of women. The Muslim world is comprised of many cultures, languages, customs, etc. You cannot paint everybody with the same brush.

Where the hell did you get that from?

You are again using very general terms, knowing that most Muslim countries are NOT oil producing, and the wealth in those countries that ARE producing is not always going down to the average folk.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
No, there may be only a lack of social or medical provision and/or contraception and/or education, as in many third world countries, leading to people having large families either to offset high child mortality rates, to keep the parents in their old age, or because they don't have the wherewithal, approved methods or means to prevent large families.

What does it tell you about Muslims in particular? :confused:

Egypt was also doing pretty well until its population growth outstripped its ability to grow food and provide jobs.
Source?

See above.

Source? Please note that marrying a cousin is not the same as incest.

Really, such a broad generalisation serves no useful purpose.

It may be an archaic way of life, but it has its own values which are valid in their own way, and it is certainly not up to members of a corrupt, colonialising, war-exporting consumer society to instruct such lesser mortals on the correct way to live.