One in four is Muslim, study says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Oct 8, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

I wonder what the figure is for the other major wastes of time religions. I wonder if this worries them. You can't all be right!

All hail the Dudeists! http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Smilies/BowDown.gif

2. Queso macrumors G4

I love the way they play the population statistics. I bet there are more Christians in Germany than in Vatican City too :D

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

couldn't resist another religion bashing post? Does MacRumors have a quota for these?

Don't worry, I am quite sure the Muslims will peacefully coexist with you haters.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Irony, you're doing it right.

Couldn't resist bashing another religion bashing post?

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, I live to ridicule you. :rolleyes:
    whew, that's good.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is great :D

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not religious but I have to agree. If we had regular posts against consoles or companies that person would be banned for trolling, I'm sure.

8. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Or even in Tehran. :D

The strangest sight I ever saw (on the web) was Christmas... ...in Tehran, of all the places. ;) Apparently, there's a small Christian population there.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3335150516_d01d4f61f0_m.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3373/3335150514_2f7a514756_m.jpg

But I digress. Anyway, yeah, agreed with point about spin on numbers. From recollection, it's something like 33% Christian, 25% Muslim, 15% Hindu, 16% atheism or theistic but nonreligious, 10% 'all the rest', worldwide. Will be interesting to see if Christians starts to feel threatened if being eclipsed by the Muslims at some point and see the reaction.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Iran isn't as crazy as Ahmdaninejwhatever makes it out to be. I saw a documentary on the BBC once about Tehran and life there, and it looked like it could've been New York, LA or London. It looked just like any modern major city in the world and I think it could be a good tourist destination if Ahmdajinecrazy didn't give his country such a bad name.

10. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I wonder what the muslim population in the Americas was before september 2001...

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

That's not exactly the same thing. PRSI topics, by their vary nature, mean disagreements but that doesn't automatically mean trolling.

As if rampant political correctness is not impeding enough, I don't think we need more of it in here. The religious among us can usually give as much as their given.

12. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

What reason do you have for believing in Christianity over Islam? "MUSLIMS ARE TERRORISTS" is not a viable answer.

13. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

1 in 4 eh? I was gonna say that's a bit impossible over here in the USA but it makes more sense now that I see this data.

EDIT: Nothing like the religious folk to get up in arms. Bring on the fear mongering!!!

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

While it might have been higher (a lot of non-document/non-residents left), that was around 8 years ago, so it might have recovered.

I recall that the number is closer to 6mil in the US. I need to read more of the report to see how they collected the data.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

To be fair, the OP here(and many Atheists, Agnostics) will mocking religion,but are all for peaceful coexistence. You don't see many irreligious groups who go out killing those who believe.

Thats also true of religious people(by and large), peaceful coexistence is pretty popular(which is a great thing!)

16. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It would be interesting to see some historical data. What were the percentages 100 years ago, etc.

I think if you were to look at the figures, oil wealth probably parallels population growth in oil producing muslim nations. The continued repression of Muslim women is probably another reason.

17. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I am sure a general wealth will play part in population growth, but not necessarily. Egypt for example is very populous, but is not really an oil-wealthy nation.

How so? and how do you decide that all Muslim women are repressed?

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That is a pretty interesting thought, especially since 20% or so of Muslims are in the Middle East.

I imagine a great deal of the Asian Muslim population is in Indonesia, which does have a decent oil industry but is not a major exporter.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Haters of what? :confused:

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

In regards to the oil producing countries of the ME, if they didn't have oil, then the only thing they would be exporting would be themselves. In order for substantial and sustained population growth to occur, there needs to be some sort of fuel for the fire.

I think it's telling that the Muslim countries with the most migrants and refugees are the most impoverished as well.

Egypt was also doing pretty well until its population growth outstripped its ability to grow food and provide jobs. Now where is it?

In Iran, abortion and birth control was banned after the ayatollahs took over. The birth rate skyrocketed and it wasn't too many years before the ayatollahs realized the error of their ways.

I think the average birth rate in Yemen is between 7 and 8 children per woman. Are all those women voluntarily bearing that many children?

High birth rates are almost a certain guarantee of the early death of the mother as well as complications from pregnancy and childbirth.

Since many muslim countries believe in keeping it in the family, there are also high rates of mental retardation and other physical and mental problems associated with incest. Few women choose to marry their close relatives...

My overall point is that oil producing countries have misused their profits to maintain a way of life that should have died out with the dodo. That way of life is rarely respectful of women as human beings.

You don't need to look very far back in Western history to discover a time when women where chattel, but by doing so, I guarantee that you'll be disgusted with the way they were treated. It's time to move on.

21. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

How do you explain the population growth in China and India then?

Also I'm pretty sure the population explosion in Iran was due to the Iraq war, the ayatollah's actually encouraged population growth because they had no idea how long the war would last, and needed people to fight in it. I highly doubt it was because of a ton of teenagers having unprotected sex all of a sudden.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Here's an article in Slate that gives a good overview of Iran's population and there's a good article in Wikipedia with a graph of Iran's population growth.

India is #90 on the UN population growth index and China is #156.

China's population growth as a percentage is of course very small since they instituted the one child policy in the early 80s.

The green revolution in India led to explosive population growth but perhaps you have forgotten that India's population policies were also pretty repressive in the 70s with forced abortions and sterilizations.

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Isn't that the standard reasons for anybody to migrate? the Irish? Mexicans? etc?

But Egypt has had a very long history of war and major corruption that impacted it. Still nothing to do with oil and still a population growth. Basically what I am saying is, your OIL theory doesn't hold up to most countries in the ME, because population growth is still high in many regardless of the oil wealth.

I don't know much about Iran, so I cannot comment there, but the people I know (and no, they are not liberal pro-shah people) do not have that many kids.

Do you have evidence that they are all being coerced? Why don't you bring up Syria as an example? Jordan? Algeria? Malaysia?

I still don't see how you see the population growth as a sign of repression of women. The Muslim world is comprised of many cultures, languages, customs, etc. You cannot paint everybody with the same brush.

Where the hell did you get that from?

You are again using very general terms, knowing that most Muslim countries are NOT oil producing, and the wealth in those countries that ARE producing is not always going down to the average folk.

24. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, there may be only a lack of social or medical provision and/or contraception and/or education, as in many third world countries, leading to people having large families either to offset high child mortality rates, to keep the parents in their old age, or because they don't have the wherewithal, approved methods or means to prevent large families.

What does it tell you about Muslims in particular? :confused:

Source?

See above.

Source? Please note that marrying a cousin is not the same as incest.

Really, such a broad generalisation serves no useful purpose.

It may be an archaic way of life, but it has its own values which are valid in their own way, and it is certainly not up to members of a corrupt, colonialising, war-exporting consumer society to instruct such lesser mortals on the correct way to live.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

According to who? I know for **** sure I wouldn't marry one of my cousins.