One ios5 update they missed a good funtion and i am surprised

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msarway, Jun 25, 2011.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

This function i am so surprised they did not do. when you need to search a name in the phone the only way is to use the search bar. other phones u can start typing on the keypad and it finds the name apple should make that happen.
    or please let me all know how u all search your phone book when u need something fast.

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

Swipe left on first home screen (or hit the home button), type. Doesn't get much faster than that.

3. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

Um you can't just start typing on the keypad because iPhones don't have a keyboard so you would have to go to spotlight :rolleyes:

4. Epic Orange macrumors member

Epic Orange

Why the heck do you need to search for someone so quick? Besides, as others have mentioned, you can't type everywhere because there is no physical keyboard. Personally, if you want to search your contacts, go to the search bar on the very left or in the Phone / Contacts App. :D

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This is one thing I miss from my old phone.

It was a very quick way to dial a contact.

6. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Or you can use voice control. (Hold down the home button.)

"call mommy"

EDIT: Nevermind. I gave it a try. I said "Call Leah mobile", the phone responded with "PLAYING MUSIC BY BIG TYMERS."

Clearly not as cool as I thought.

7. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I think what the OP is trying to say is that there should be a smart dialer where you can dial the first couple letters of a name and it pulls up that contact.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

If so, what's the point, in order to dial, you are already in the phone app, just hit contacts and search there

9. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

What if someone is chasing you with a chainsaw? Would that qualify?:D

10. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

It's a very nice convenience to have. You have to have had experience with a smart dialer and you'd understand what I mean. For example, when I call my girl her name comes up as soon as I hit the number 2 because her name starts with C. So as soon as I hit 2 I can just tap to call her. It's much faster and much more convenient than having to search through contacts each time.

11. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I could dial 112 just as fast :D

12. Pravda, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011

Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I understand what the OP is saying, i use to use smart dial all the time.

But now that we have had the spotlight, i don't miss smart dial at all.

Run Faster

13. ame8199 macrumors 6502

There is an app for that :) I have an icon that I press on
    Home screen to call my mom and another to call work.

They were both free, kinda like a speed dial. It's nice than having to go though a few pages to get to my most called numbers

14. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

That doesn't really accomplish the same thing. Sure it might be ok for one or two contacts...but if you're someone who calls more than two people then it won't make sense to have all these home screen shortcuts for each person you call with any regularity. It's much more convenient to be able to just dial one or two numbers and their name pops up.

15. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Actually kasakka explained exactly the correct process to get into Spotlight. Not exactly sure how you get into spotlight, but they explained 2 easy ways to access it ;) .

Once in spotlight, the keyboard you say doesn't exist, slides up and you can then search for a name or part of a number and the contact should pop up. Provided you have your settings enabled to search for contacts.

16. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, smart dialing.

Would definitely be nice to have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCMEIGSgOxw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

17. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

The only difference between that and using either spotlight, or the contacts app and scrolling (if you even need to) up and searching through them is is it doesn't use a 10-Key and won't search the numbers (at least how I have my phone set up). You press 1 extra time on the screen (to bring focus to the search bar) and that's it.