one issue jailbreaker

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bradleyheathhay, Mar 13, 2013.

1. bradleyheathhay macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 5 running 6.0.1 and I want to jailbreak my phone for one reason and one reason only. I have an unlimited data plan with AT and T and I would like to use my phone as a mobile wifi hotspot. I don't have to be walked through it step by step, but if someone can point me in the general direction of what I need to do I would greatly appreciate it...like what jailbreak I should use.

After I'm given a direction I can probably figure out the rest myself by reading FAQs or whatever.

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You run the risk of AT&T detecting that and changing your data plan. There is no way to hide the tethering data. Even those who use very little (less than 100MB a month of tethering) still get caught. It's all just a matter of time.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

There really is no safe way to tether without risking being caught by AT&T, other than tethering to another mobile device, such as an iPad. I used 2GB of data in one tethering session while tethering my iPad to my iPhone and never heard a word.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's a risk like said.
    Some get away with it for a long time with lots of tethered data and some get caught for just a one time small amount of usage.
    They do send you a message the first time usually and if they catch it again they switch you automatically.

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

As others have said, there's always a risk associated.

However, if you are going to jailbreak, I would recommend updating to iOS 6.1.2 before jailbreaking since there are bug fixes. Once you are jailbroken, you are pretty much stuck on that iOS version unless you restore

Backup your iPhone via iTunes and then click restore using iTunes. It should restore it to iOS 6.1.2. Afterwards, you can restore from your backup

Once that's done. Download evasi0n from evasi0n.com and jailbreak your device.

Cydia is the AppStore for jailbreak tweaks so you go inside there and there are various tethering apps out there. There's MyWi and TetherMe (not sure about PDANet, heard it wasn't compatible with iOS 6 yet)

I personally don't tether so can't help you too much in that department

Oh, and don't forget. Never click reset all settings of erase all content and settings. It can potentially mess up your phone and you'll need to restore to the latest and wont be able to jailbreak again for some time (assuming iOS 6.1.3 and higher is out at this time)

You cannot update OTA (settings app) either. The only way is to completely restore (you cannot update in any way; must be restores)