One law vs. another...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LumbermanSVO, Feb 3, 2009.

1. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I'm guessing by your signature you have had personal run-ins with this problem? The whole thing seems pretty stupid to me.

P-Worm

3. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

I haven't had this problem yet, but until a couple weeks ago I've mostly stayed out west. With the slowdown of freight (11% last month!) I've started running the whole country, it is just a matter of time before I have to go through VA.

Heck, California has an 8-hour limit at the rest areas but even they don't enforce it as long as you are parked properly.

About 6 weeks ago a customer took so long to unload me that by the time they were done I couldn't legally drive, yet they kicked me off their property. At that point, if I was involved in a injury/deadly accident I would be looking at jail time, even if I wasn't at fault. :rolleyes:

So, what happens if a driver is kicked out of a VA rest area and is involved in a deadly accident? That driver now faces jail time and his/her career is over. Finding legal truck parking after 5-7pm is damn near impossible east of the Mississippi as it is, and now the VA rest areas are off limits. Brilliant.

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

You could push for a Federal Law or regulation which would supersede state laws.

5. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I think they may be afraid that opening it up to truckers would lead to too much use, essentially turning the rest-stop into a truck pit stop with nothing but large vehicles. There may also be concerns about safety and possible law enforcement issues (prostitutes and drug dealers are know to frequent truck stops). But I do feel for you if all you want to do is get some shut-eye and recuperate.

6. LumbermanSVO thread starter macrumors 65816

They why even have truck parking at the rest ares at all?

The other problems you list don't happen in other states that allow trucks to park for 10+ hours, why would VA be any different? Why has it been ok to park in VA rest areas until recently? What changed?

7. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

The thinking might be that letting them stay there only 2 hours might not lead to as many being there at the same time.

I have read stories about problems in truck stops in California where I live, but it might be different in other states. My step daughter's husband is a trucker and he himself has concerns over drug and prostitution activity and other crimes in truck stops that he has visited across the states, but he could be exaggerating. I have no first hand knowledge of this myself.