One little story from a fallen in love iPhone 3G user

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by torakaru, Dec 6, 2008.

1. torakaru macrumors member

torakaru

Belgium, Saturday 6 of December of 2008

Dear Mr. Jobs,

Firstly, I will begin introducing myself, my name is Ivan and I am a Professional and Private Consumer Electronics business user since years ago. (I am Electronic Engineeer, and a bit geek for the technology well designed and with high quality; I admit it).

Now, I will continue telling you a my little Apple iPhone 3G story:

Basically, I was a proud PalmOS user since several years ago, going through PalmOS PDA's until the PalmOS Smartphones (Treo's,... I think that like you), but the question is that the "Age of PalmOS" seems to be finished (which is not nice for me either), so, I needed it a new effective, good, easy and nice new Super-Smartphone more that one year ago. Unfortunately, at that time there was nothing available in the mobile phone market that can full fill the kind of product to replace my Palm Treo in the previous terms explained. So, I had to wait, because I live in Belgium and I was not able to achieve one of those so much wished iPhones 1GEN, only available at USA or hacking them at Europe, which it was not an acceptable option for myself.

Then, my only consolation was to hear rumors about a new iPhone 3G, and wait and wait... until it was finally launched worldwide (In fact, one of the greatest news in my life) So, the next amazing moment was when the Belgium mobile Telco "Mobistar" company said that they would distribute the iPhone 3G in Belgium,... And I would be able to achieve one of that incredible machines Finally!!! (Six months ago I bought a nicer Black iPhone 3G 16GB (I was one of the first belgians to enjoy it),... the nicer merging piece between the Hardware and the Software Engineering Worlds)

Well, until here those were the good news,... because now begins my day-by-day suffering Nightmare:

Several days ago I discovered some news regarding some users suffering "Cracks in their iPhone's 3G". Then, after some Google/forums/webnews research and discovering that some of that pictures are not valid because they clearly showing that user maybe dropped his phone, or maybe he sits down over it,... I discover that more or less they are completely TRUE. How is possible? How allowed Apple that and didn't notify it yet? Where is their High Product and Quality Assurance procedure? Well, I don't know the answer in fact, because I continued trusting in Apple and Apple Post-Sales Customer Support service, and maybe I would need them never,... but I was wrong again.

Then three days ago, after take out my nice protective Belkin Black silicon cover, and take a look around the plastic bottom cover, I discovered it! I was suffering the same! My beloved iPhone had a hairline casing crack between the earphone jack and the silver trim!... (Although I never drop it and I treated it like a newborn) (I never took so much care with an electronic daily-use device... but I wanted to have it so shiny like the box unpacking first day).

But wait, I though: "Well, calm and relax, this can happens, nobody is perfect" (neither our beloved Apple Company and their fantastic and innovative products), so maybe they did a mistake with the plastic polymer choosed for the iPhone 3G (it was the first time than they used a plastic bottom cover for the iPhone/iPod family), and they would be in the process to substitute freely all the defective units... But I was wrong again. Nowhere is mention that Apple is taking care of this issue, neither Apple admitted yet; although the complaints from the user community continue growing and growing until the current date.

Anyway, this is not the worse, the worse comes now:

I tried to exchange my iPhone 3G in several Mobistar telephones retailer shops (unique place in Belgium to do it because only this Belgium mobile telco company has the distribution rights for the iPhone 3G) (So, I cannot go to an Apple Store/Retailer). But they told me that this kind of defect is not covered by the Apple iPhone 3G Warranty because none kind of Plastic Breakages are not covered...

So, you can imagine the fool face that I suffered and the helplessness I felt: Where is that amazing Apple Post-Sales Customer Support service by which I paid of too and I wished? Why I paid so much by this kind of product instead to buy another mobile/smartphone brand cheaper if I cannot have normal Customer Support? I felt threaten like a complete third class customer, which makes me feel more fool and stupid even.

So, now I live with fear, I live with so much fear, because I cannot stop thinking that my beloved iPhone, and its cracks can continue growing, and Apple will not give me any support for my loved iPhone 3G, arguing that this defect is not covered by their Warranty...

I suffer daily fears for HW cracking case issues:

- Each time that I plug/unplug my apple earphones... (which I don't know why but I think that they are a bit thicker that the standard 3.5mm so they are more difficult to manage)
    - Each time that I switch the mute switch...
    - Each time that I press the power on/off and the Home Buttons,
    - Each time that I use the sync socket...

Anyway, I don't want to return it (if it is offered to me), I only want a reliable solution to fix this mechanical plastic issue,... because I like so much the kind of product which is the Apple iPhone family (I loved so much the design and functionality, the user experience is amazing!), I want to continue being an iPhone user after this one, and I want to continue recommending Apple company and products for ever in fact.

So, could you be so kind to help me, please? (Nobody seemed able to do it).

Thanks a lot in advance by your time and your understanding.

Sincerely,
    Ivan

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Did you write this yourself, or what is its source? If you did not write this, please enclose it in quote blocks and provide a source attribution.

3. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Don't focus so much on the cracking.

Focus on the fun and productivty of the phone (esp. compared to that dinosaur of tech palm)

The iphone is FUN! and the most useful phone I have ever owned.

And guess what? I just discovered a crack on mine at the mute / ringer button.

I prob. did it as I put it in or out of my pocket and it stuck a little too long or something.

Guess what?

I don't care!!

The iphone is the best mobile device ever. Have fun and use it well.
    :)

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have 2 small cracks on either side of my headphone jack, but they haven't gotten bigger. I miss the 1st gen iPhone case.

I too fear plugging things into my iPhone. I'm always afraid that I might develop more cracks. I shouldn't have to feel like this. The iPhone 3G feels so fragile to me.

5. jlwillia macrumors regular

Are you the plagiarism police? Is this an academic paper? I can understand the the questions, but I think we can give the OP a break for not conforming to the strict standards of a university paper on a forum about the iphone (about as far from academic writing as I can imagine).

That being said, it would be nice to have answers to who the original creator of this letter is. I, however, will not expect a verbatim citation in proper form.

6. torakaru thread starter macrumors member

torakaru

Unfortunately, the answer to yours questions is YES, I did it. :(

My nickname is Torakaru, but my realname is Ivan. I post here this letter to let you know it, to let you know my experience and my feelings.

I already tried to post it 2 times at the official Apple Discussion forums, and the Apple moderators employees read it and delete it in less than 3 min. :(
    (I have screenshots to prove it)

Yes, they censored myself,... you only need to enter there and look for my few posts. (With my nickname, of course).

I suppose that Mr. Jobs will not read my letter never,... but this is for him, and this letter doesn't represents my feelings only, it represents the feelings from so many Apple users that paid so much money extra for incredible/dream products (an iPhone 3G this time), and maybe after they were not so shiny and 'perfects' like they expected. (I paid 650€ for my new iPhone 3G, plus the monthly data contract of it) :eek:

Thanks for read it at least you.

Torakaru (Ivan)

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Plagiarism, no, but we do respect other people's copyright, which is why I asked. And besides, it wasn't clear whether he was even talking about himself. At least, not to me.

They should fix the cases. This isn't even the first recent time Apple has had cracking plastic issues, either, as it happened with the Macbook also.

On the bright side, replacing the rear casing isn't that hard... even if Apple gives you a hard time, which they shouldn't, can't one buy one on eBay for a few dollars and install it in five minutes?

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Ummm.....I think he's trying to share a story and his feelings with us. Can you not see that?

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

There is a chance Steve would read it. Not all CEO's with billion dollar companies are like Steve.

10. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

I'm not so sure - it is one of the most long-winded emails I have ever read... Steve would have been more likely to respond if the email was short and to the point.

How about:

Dear Steve,
    My phone has cracks in the plastic despite being well looked after. Mobistar don't want to know - what can I do?

Kind regards,
    Ivan.

Also, have you tried escalating the issue through Mobistar management? I think sometime people are too quick to email Steve when there are other options available.

Good luck sorting it out and as others have said, focus on the good points rather than obsessing about the bad!

Craig.

11. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I thought it was obvious that the OP posted this 'story'.

Anyways...if there's no mention of this soon by apple or somebody by atleast MacWorld, I may be waiting until summer to see if it's adressed or start looking at my other options.

I can't see where some folks seem to be "ok" with this! "Oh it's ok, just enjoy everything else about it" Say WHAT!?

If I go spend upwards of 300 bucks, buy a nice case or something ya know, and come to find out that out of the box or even in a months time that my iphone shell is cracked and paranoid to plug anything into it I'm going to be pissed! Oh and let's not forget the OP told us that it wasn't covered for replacement. WTF?! Are you kidding me? Seriously?

All I'm saying is that it's becoming more and more common lately reading these post and threads on iphone shells cracking and something needs to be done about it. It is simply UNACCEPTABLE! Period(.)

12. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

13. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

you are not supposed to post it here because Steve won't read this anyway. you miss everything. he is one of the busy guys in the planet. he doesn't have to deal with one man's iphone problem. well, we have many problems on iphone. why don't you complain yours to Apple, not here. it is just freaking rumor site. don't you know? if you think that your phone has a lot of problem, then you need to go Genius bar, apple store or contact with Apple first. don't complain like baby here even though we understand your problem.

14. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Gimme me a break. That's like saying, to BMW (who I bought a new car from a couple of years ago.)

Dear Mr. BMW President,

I don't want to drive my car because I am scared that I might get in an accident. I am also worried that it may get scratched by random raccoon droppings.So I am leaving it in the garage until you address the fact that the world can be unkind to new cars.
    :rolleyes:

Show me where FOR A FACT it is apple's fault for every crack. It's a common place to see complaints here because this is a central iphone site where people congregate. OF COURSE you are going to see problems when they have sold 12 million. HOW do you not put THAT math together in your head. Or do you really think 100% of iphone users come to this site on a regular basis?

I guarantee you that the majority of users cracks are their own damn fault, I baby mine, but I have noticed that I have "stuck it" in my jeans pocket and see that the vibrator ringer switch has been moved.

I DID THAT.

That ringer switch did not move on its own, it moved because I put it in a pocket at a bad angle.

I guess I am not flipping out over the crack despite buying a 1st gen AND a 2nd gen of these babies, I believe in personal responsibility :rolleyes: and I accept the fact that things happen to my products when I am not looking and even when I am being careful.

And I for one am not going to whine like a schoolgirl just because my $300 phone has a crack in it that was my fault.

:rolleyes:

I suggest an adroid phone. Then you can hang out at androidrumors.com and see that EVERY phone has some problems, but apple is not responsible for eveything that happens to them.

15. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm sorry you feel this way, but when you plug heaphones into the headphones port, the case is not SUPPOSED to crack. That's a design flaw and a defect. No, I did NOT cause the cracks, Apple has a flawed casing. I think you need to rethink what you said.

16. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Haha, I hear ya man, enjoy your cracked phone.

I hate that you simply hit a button the wrong way once and cracked your iphone, I really do, that just sucks.

Have a good day! :D

17. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I'm going to have to agree. ;)

18. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

write to Jobs directly, if not him, there are people who read those emails and forward them appropriately.

steve.jobs@apple.com,
    sjobs@apple.com,
    stevejobs@apple.com

I would, however, recommend making it shorter and removing all parts about your feelings. Maybe just say that "you trusted Apple and their QC&QA departments but were evidently mistaken".

They're probably fordwarding it to Apple Europe in Ireland.

Good luck and keep us informed.

19. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:I put a thin layer of rubber cement over the back not the best texture but stopped the cracks maybe a clear nail polish would work better. Its a shame I bought a case for nothing!:apple:

20. torakaru thread starter macrumors member

torakaru

Dear folks,

Like I told you, I paid 650€ by a Belgian Black iPhone 3G 16GB. These are not peanuts, even more, when the profit margin of Apple is nearly the half of the price that I paid :eek: (Incredible but true. :eek:)

So, I don't find reasonable that they can release a new kind of plastic back cover for a new product family, and when the users discover that the first units (I heard that now is OK with the latest iPhone 3G production batches) are easy break down, they don't react and they don't support us (not only me, of course).

It is very easy to assign the Customer Support to the country mobile retailers, and forget their Apple responsability with their products. But:

1) Why I cannot reach Apple for this issue with my mobile phone, if for an iPod Touch I can trough their web directly?

2) Why I have to pass through MOBISTAR (Belgium) and I cannot contact directly with Apple? This is damaging the image of Apple, which is more shiny and worldwide than MOBISTAR.

3) How many users suffer this issue without complaints thinking that is their fault when it is not?

This is very sad, but true until now. :(

Tora.

21. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

This problem seems really widespread. I wonder how many millions of phones could have this problem? Why haven't Apple admitted to what's happening... :confused:

22. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

How cool would it be if Apple refreshed the iPhone 3G with an aluminum back and offered to accept plastic 3Gs as a trade in to get aluminum.

23. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

that would have a serious effect on the radio antennas.
    Macbooks have a huge area around the screen where they can put the antennas, but I guess an aluminium iphone would have way too much metal (faraday's cage effect?) to allow waves to get thru

24. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

can't you phone Apple Belgium directly to get support?
    Movistar in spain (funny the similarities of both names!!) likes to blame Apple on everything iPhone but if you phone Apple directly you get a far superior support (they come pick it up and send it off to the Netherlands to get it serviced)

25. torakaru thread starter macrumors member

torakaru

Dear folks,

I contacted Apple Tech Support Belgium and Mobistar Tech Support Belgium by phone call (the only way to contact them), without any success. Moreover, I went to a Mobistar shop and they didn't help me either. I continue hoping that Apple will help me in somehow.

Regards,
    Tora