One Mercedes For Sale In Gaza?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wrkactjob, Apr 16, 2010.

1. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Well not really for sale apparently! and in that colour would you want to buy it?

[​IMG]

This Mercedes dealership has been established for 40 years but Israel will not allow it to stock any new cars.

But really Israel does itself no favours in restricting both humanitarian aid and enforcing a blockade on concrete to rebuild bombed homes/hospitals and schools.

Is it little wonder Israels international reputation is at an all time low? I don't know why the other Arabian countries put up with it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8608376.stm

2. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

Yea, what a bummer the dealerships cant bring in new SUV's filled with munitions...or how the poor residents of Gaza can afford "new cars".or perhaps an explanation on how soooo many poor Palestinians that average 2.00 (U.S.) a day income can afford an fully auto AR-15/M-16 worth say 2000 to 5000 times thier daily income..?? (not counting the ammo !!) Can ya find a bbc quote for that..??

http://www.informationliberation.com/?id=25415

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Every night I wish that Gaza would sort itself out and import more Mercedes. That's what I want most for them.

4. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Yes, those poor, unfortunate terrorists. I'm sure they cry their eyes out about not being able to purchase a new Naziwagens... errr... Mercedes to fill it with death squads and firebombs to blow up some Israelis. The article also mentions that Egypt closed its Gaza borders too. How come nobody slammed them for this?

Doesn't this cheap propaganda ploy belong in politics and religion section anyway?

5. wrkactjob thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I'm sure the car dealerships would be happy to have the cars searched prior to sale.

I don't know how Palestinians can afford new weapons, maybe they get given them by sympathetic nations in the same way Israel gets given free weapons worth millions of dollars every year by the USA?

I mean come on be fair.

As reports continue to fly about the ever-worsening relationship between the Obama Administration and Israel’s Netanyahu government, it is business as usual for the nations’ defense establishments, which today reached an agreement on a $210 million arms deal.

The deal will involve the delivery of three C-130J “Super Hercules” airplanes, which were manufactured specifically for Israel. The actual contract will not be signed until April according to officials.

Israel’s air force will take delivery of the planes in 2013, but they won’t actually pay for them. The entire cost of them will be covered by the US as part of its annual military aid to Israel.

The deal is just a drop in the bucket compared to the upcoming F-35 warplane deal, which is estimated to be worth over $3 billion. Israel is not expected to see any F-35 deliveries until 2014.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Yes your cheap propaganda ploy does mean this should be in PRSI.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Naziwagens? :rolleyes:

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually the Volkswagen is more of naziwagen than the mercedes.

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I think I want more McDonald's joints for them. The joy of the Happy Meal far surpasses the joy of a Mercedes.

10. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

A little fun fact...The 4.1 billion in aid to Israel MUST be spent purchasing American defense industry goods. Puts the money back into the American economy and creates jobs....Helluva lot less than the "Stimulas Package" that also went to European Banks that we will never see!!
    On another note, why doesnt the BBC mention the Rafa Border with Egypt that has been closed, or more to the point why...

11. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I'm not the one who posted an article link whining on how poor arabs are suffering because of horrible awful jews that don't let them buy Mercedes in order to preclude weapon smuggling. Do you really think the tunnels mentioned in the article are used strictly for bringing in only cars?

Considering that Mercedes used slave labor during the war extensively as well as being the official car for many top members of the Third Reich (including Hitler), I'd say they're both Naziwagens. And they remain so in my mind to this day as I refuse to buy German cars altogether.

12. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Terrorists? LOL looks like you're the one who's fallen for the propaganda, hook line and sinker.

They've de-humanized them to hell and back so people like you would continue to defend and support such atrocities. How else would any country in this day and age get away with what's happening in Gaza and the west bank?

Check out this targeted bombing, get those terrorists! All 1.4 million of them!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wonder how many terrorists were killed in this explosion:
    [​IMG]

probably quite a few!

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The Third Reich has been out of power for 65 years and Hitler's been dead for just as long, it's time to move on. It's not like Hitler is still alive and working in a Mercedes factory :rolleyes:

Hell, I'm Jewish and I've owned 2 VWs and would not hesitate to buy a third. Anyone's refusal to buy German cars over the Holocaust isn't going to change history, it's not going to bring back the 6 million people who were killed, so why boycott them?

And I find it funny, my grandfather said the exact same thing and nearly blew a gasket when I bought a German car. And yet, he owns a Lexus. The Japanese weren't exactly our allies in WWII either :rolleyes:

Oh, and by the way....slave labor may be correct, but it was either that or go to the gas chambers. I think I'd rather be a slave with a hope of getting out of there alive than be killed.

14. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

You're absolutely right. The Palestinians never made any bombs. They never blew up people in public areas and never took hostages. Yes, they're generally a peaceful nation that will always fight fairly. :rolleyes:

Doesn't change a thing. They mercilessly and with German efficiency killed 6 million Jews. That's more than anybody else in the history of world. I don't believe for a second that they as a nation stopped being antisemitic. Perhaps they can hide it better now but such hatred which has been cultivated by centuries doesn't just go away in a few years.

Your choice. I refuse to hand over my money to them. I don't believe they deserve a dime of it. On the other hand, I'm originally from a country that suffered immensely from WWII. And so my view of the subject will typically differ from somebody's who was born and raised in the US which never had to fight Germans on its land.

While that is a fair point, the Japanese didn't kill 6 million Jews. Both of my cars are Japanese and proud of it.

The Holocaust thing aside, Germans make crappy cars. Being a gearhead I participate in a couple of car forums and the general census of people in the know is to either purchase a German car new with warranty or be ready to spend lots of time fixing it or not buy it at all. After early 90s their overall long-term reliability just went down. So there is more than one reason why I don't buy Naziwagens.

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It's probably as well to point out that many of those forced to do slave labour at Mercedes were Russian POW's who in spite of the dangers organised strikes to improve conditions this resulted in many being sent to concentration/death camps.

16. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Yeah because they too have one of the largest fleets of fighter jets in the world that they can use to bomb TelAviv with every time a Palestinian is killed by Israeli soldiers. Maybe that would be considered more fair.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Have you ever actually been to Germany? I have, and they are not antisemitic at all. I'd say there's more antisemitism in the US than there is in Germany.

Besides, most Germans, even during WWII, were not antisemitic, and did not agree with what the Nazis were doing, they were forced into it. A friend of mine's grandfather lived in Germany during the war and was forced into the Nazi army. He didn't agree with it, nor was he ever antisemitic. It was either fight for the Nazis or die. The antisemites, the Nazi leaders, were either killed, killed themselves, or arrested, tried and spent the rest of their lives in jail. Are there still antisemites in Germany? Sure, just like every country, but it's not overwhelmingly antisemitic like you imply.

The point of a boycott is to get a company to change its ways; to change something it's currently doing. The car companies are no longer enslaving Jews, the Germans are no longer invading countries and killing Jews, so what point are you trying to prove? Your boycott won't change history.

So...the Americans killed at Pearl Harbor don't count? Sure, it's not 6 million, but many Americans still died at the hands of the Japanese. But again, it was over 60 years ago. Time to move on.

My VWs have been excellent cars. And I also had to find out the hard way that they are very safe. The newer VWs have much improved reliability (mine is a 2009 GTI).

18. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

Can you not see how ridiculous you sound?

I hope you don't own a Mitsubishi - they were happy to use slave labour and manufactured WWII planes.

Oh wait, perhaps they didn't achieve the required kill quota of 6 million in order to qualify for your boycott.

Maybe we should boycott Chinese manufactured goods as they stem from the rebuilding of china - the great step forward saw the deaths of many millions of Chinese ... oh wait, they weren't Jews.

Where do we stop with this backward mindset?

19. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'm sure he doesn't drink Coca Cola and wouldn't buy a Ford because of their support for the Nazis either.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

By that logic, is it thus fair to call the United States a racist nation, since we mercilessly, and with all practical efficiency of the time, killed or enslaved millions of Africans and their decendents? That any outsider would be justified in saying that perhaps we hide it better now, but such hatred which has been cultivated over centuries doesn't just go away in such a few years?

Or would vigorously defend America against such a charge?

And what is the appropriate time interval between atrocity and purchase? More than 70 years, but less than 150 years?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Absolutely right, it just puts on a disguise and calls itself a Tea Party...

I'm never buying an American car. Bastards.

22. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

That right there is a pretty long argument. I won't get into it here.

Just out of a silly curiosity, have you even read any books or even articles on Nazis? Yes, the very top was executed but there were hundreds of war criminals who escaped. I'm sure you heard of the rat lines and ODESSA, right? Sure, a few got caught eventually thanks to Nazi hunters but many escaped and lived pretty good lives. There is still some former SS personnel alive in Germany, Argentina (thanks to Peron) and a few other countries. Some of those might not have been proven war criminals but it doesn't mean they weren't. Do I think it's outrageous? Yes.

You can't just kill 6 million (actually, total was over 40 million iirc) people in cold blood and then just say "oops, our bad", get a slap on the wrist and then expect to be forgiven. Personally I think that altogether Germans got off fairly easy.

That aside, this is my own personal boycott. I'm not asking anyone to join (unless they feel the same way) and I'm not calling violence against the Germans. I just believe they don't deserve a dime of my own personal hard-earned money. Am I within my rights by doing so? You bet your VW-driving Nazi-forgiving butt.

And that aside, I think Japanese cars are much better value anyway. Even if I didn't personally dislike zee Gehmanz, it's rather unlikely I'd purchase a German car anyway since I like to buy them used and imho buying a used German car made within last 10-15 years is just plain dumb. Your mileage may vary but this is the impression I received from hearing many owners some of which complained a lot. Your favorite VW, btw got some of the worst reliability reviews of all imported cars within last few years. So you will excuse me if I stick with a Japanese cars.

It would be silly to expect a 1 year old modern car to fall apart even if it's a Kia. What I meant was come talk to me when you have over 150K on it and it's 10-12 years old. Then we'll see how much you spend on so called "maintenance" and if it come even close to reliability of your average Honda of similar age and mileage.

Good point. If it makes you feel better, I don't buy Ford because our buddy Henry was also a well-known anti-semite and Hitler-sympathizer. ;) But he wasn't responsible for killing 6m jews so if I was going to ever relax my limits, I'd buy a Ford way before I'd buy anything German-made or -owned (such as MINI).

However, the point of my boycott is not to ignore every single country that did something bad to somebody at some point. I'm pretty sure every country (with exception of maybe Switzerland?) killed or tortured some people, be it foreigners or their own. But Germany exterminated around 50% of Jewish population at the time, in the worst possible ways and for absolutely no reason. I'm not saying it's a better thing to kill people for land or money but at least it's somewhat understandable. This was nothing but pure hatred. Being Jewish myself I don't think that's something that can be forgiven. Ever and for any reason.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't know either. I think it's where I get called a Nazi sympathizer for driving a Volkswagen :rolleyes:

25. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I can tell you absolutely everything that's happened up till now:

First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it...