One more time applecare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mario24601, Dec 8, 2011.

1. mario24601 macrumors regular

My 30 day window to get applecare+ is coming up...I have read multiple topics on this but are people still getting or forgoing it? I do have a S4V case and a holster I'm using but I keep going back to keeping it without anything on it...its just so nice without any case. But it is very slippery. I dropped it once, luckily I had in the pouch and was only on wood floor but I don't think would have survived if it was on concrete. I was just curious if people were getting the AC+ or not...thanks.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The way I see it, $100 is worth the peace of mind. When you go to sell your phone (if, like me, you upgrade yearly), you will probably get a little more for it since it would still be under warranty; in fact it would be under a BETTER warranty than stock, assuming you haven't used up your two replacements. Also, replacing your phone a SINGLE time for a cracked screen or other such issues under this plan would be cheaper than if you had gone without.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If it wasn't implied by my previous post, I got one too.

4. HKUSP.40 macrumors regular

I got it...for me it was a no-brainer.

Verizon TEC = $169 deductible :mad:
    AppleCare+ = $50 deductible :D

Yeah, Verizon covers lost/stolen but in over 10 years, I've never lost or had a phone stolen (Yep, I know I just cursed myself). Both plans cover accidental damage.

5. Jmclark macrumors regular

I got Applecare+. I have an Otterbox commuter, but that's not enough peace of mind for me. Like someone already said, it is a much better value than a carrier insurance plan, and it's the same besides if it gets stolen, but that's what Find My iPhone is for. I'd say go for it since if anything does go wrong you're not screwed.

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'd get AppleCare + had it been available outside of US.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's not? That sucks. :(

8. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Just got it for $69. Call and tell them you would rather pay $69 as that is what it used to cost.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Why wouldn't you get AC+? You already said it yourself that you enjoyed having a bare phone. As do I. That's one of the best parts of the phone, the design of it. It can be "slippery" at first, but you'll find the right grip to hold it tight. It's a phone that you should enjoy and use, you shouldn't be obsessing about it. Paying the $100 is a great price for peace of mind. Cases that cover the phone's beauty but is not 100% proof may cost $50. That's your deductible already. Do the math.

----------

Are you sure you got the new one? The old without accidental damage and handling cost $69 and that is still available for purchase. To get the accidental damage and handling, you have to pay $99. I'd double check if I were you. Your warranty may not cover water damage, broken screens, etc.

10. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Hmm. Good point. I will check.

11. bjb.butler, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

1) You're gonna go knocking on thief's door them to give you your phone back? Good luck with that. And unless you live in the middle of nowhere, police have better **** to do than go look for a stolen iPhone.
    Also, what do you do if they turned your phone off??

2) It all depends on how careful you are, and how long you plan on keeping your phone. I don't plan on keeping this phone for more than a year, so the extended warranty is useless. For me personally, I didn't buy AC+ because I don't see a need:
    $100 for AC+
    *IF* I broke my phone (which is unlikely for me), I'd have to pay an extra $50 to have it replaced, so $150 total.

Because I highly doubt I will damage my phone myself (especially considering I have a case & screen protector), I'd more than likely be spending $100 for nothing. I took that extra $100 and got the 64GB as opposed to the 32 ;)

Without AC+, you can get a replacement phone (as long as you didn't completely destroy your phone for $199. If I do happen to break my phone, I'll bit the bullet and pay $199, which is $49 more than I would've paid if I had AC+. I'd rather pay $49 extra dollars total in the rare case that something happens, as opposed to $100 dollars upfront. It's a simple numbers game, which is how insurance companies (in this case Apple) make money off of this stuff. They know that most people who buy AC+ won't ever break their iPhone's. Period.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I think getting such a bulky case such as that with a great warranty plan is too much. I'd probably only do that after my first accident. I disagree with Find My iPhone, it's not fool proof. I don't depend on it to actually find my phone. If your phone is off, out of service, restored, etc then it can't be found. Police won't take it as a priority unless it's a slow day, but they will make a report. You can use this for any other insurance you may have.

But, I really shouldn't be talking. I have AC+ and loss/stolen insurance for 100% peace of mind. Maybe a little too much, but I can afford it. My phone is bare and I never worry about it or obsess about it. I don't have to handle it a special way, I let anyone hold it and put it down anywhere. Extremely no worries. I'm 100% covered.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Here is a question for those covered double. Let's say you lose your phone, and your insurance replaces it. Doesn't that mean your AC+ is out the window too? AFAIK it's not transferable to another device.

14. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

15. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Yeah, I think it's gone. AC+ should only be transferable to the device Apple gives you when you go through them.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My thoughts, as well. So it seems to me being double covered is simply being wasteful.

17. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Yeah, it is.

But I guess some people want to be able to get a replacement if their phone gets lost (insurance), as well as the ease of going into a apple store and getting a replacement if it gets damaged (AC+), instead of mailing your phone in, waiting for a replacement, etc.

18. thatoneguy82, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

You guys need to read your contract. AC+ is completely transferable

EDIT:
    My lawyer (a friend) read the contract and for all intents and purposes, in the eyes of the law, the owner of the replaced phone is a new person. It doesn't matter if it is you, since you no longer own the covered equipment in the plan. Thus, it's transferrable. It's completely allowable and within the bounds of the contract. I read the contract first before doing a double insurance. I have money, but I don't use it wastefully.

19. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

And you need to read more carefully. That is talking about transferring the care on your phone to another person (for example, if you sold your phone), not to another device :rolleyes:

20. Jmclark macrumors regular

I'm very "unlucky" (not sure that's the exact word I'm looking for) when it comes to technology. I've become more responsible with my gadgets over the past few years, but stuff still happens, and I just don't want to be out a bunch of money because of some stupid accident. Especially since cases don't cover EVERY drop.

And as for the stolen part, I'm fortunately still a high school student in a school that has a cop all the time, and he's good about finding lost/stolen phones. Since I'm more than likely going to get it stolen from me at school, I should be fine.

21. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

You need to know the law. A new owner of a new device is a new person. Identity of the person is unimportant. Don't confuse logic with law.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

We aren't talking about a person here, we are talking about the device. With Apple Care, the serial number of the specific unit you purchased is what is covered. If that is replaced in any way, including a third party, I see no reason why Apple would have to still honor the Apple care on that new unit...

23. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Oh geez. I give up trying to explain what I know to be true and spelled out in the contract. Verified both by my lawyer and by calling Apple Care.

Don't worry, I love wasting my money.

24. melman101 macrumors 68030

Really, that's pretty awesome. I didn't think it covers this, but sounds awesome if it is.

----------

Are you sure they didn't sell you the regular AppleCare instead of the AppleCare+?