One more year!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jan 20, 2008.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I just noticed on my Dubya countdown widget that we only have one more year left of the Bush regime! Not that there's a whole lot to celebrate, because a year is still plenty long enough for him to f**k things up even more, but after 7 long years, the light at the end of the tunnel is beginning to dimly shine (and let's hope election day doesn't make it go dark again)

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It's hard to believe that it has been 7 years. That's a full 25% of my entire life. Crazy... Looking forward to someone else now that I actually care about what's going on.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Imagine one day getting someone far worse — it could happen — and looking back fondly and wishing for these days again.

There's a cheery thought for a Sunday night. Sleep tight. :D

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:eek: You are cruel!

:eek:

My eyes actually watered when it was announced he'd won again. Er, watered with disappointment. Just to be clear. :p

5. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

The sad part is it gives him 365 more days to figure out someway, somehow in which to screw something else up...

I can't wait for November...

~Crawn

6. Queso macrumors G4

Only one more year of him, but clearing up his mess is going to take decades.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Dubya hasn't had control of Congress, for how long? And what changes have we seen? And you think things will be any notable amount different?

You expect more personal freedom, less governmental intrusion into your daily life, and a better economic climate?

Good luck...

'Rat

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

So which is it? :p

I am interested to see how Congress changes in relation to the Presidency.

9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Yeah, the Dems have been a real dissapointment, haven't they? One has to wonder what goods Bush has on Pelosi and Reid? I mean, they got into office, and totally rolled over for him. Perhaps with Tony Blair gone, they decided to be his lapdogs. :rolleyes:

10. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

It's a crying shame the world hasn't had the joy of watching him get impeached out of office.

Maybe we can watch his butt get thrown in jail or something. . . The thought makes me smile a little.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Why would he be impeached?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I remember that feeling. It was surrealistic. I was totally dumbfounded for days. I'd seen a lot of bizarre things in my life, but Dubya winning a second time has got to top the list.

And now I'm dumbfounded again.

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I remember the feeling well. Absolute shock and utter confusion.

14. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I remember that feeling. I was living in the dorms at the time and went to bed early that night since I had an 8 AM class on Wednesday, so I didn't know who would win, but it wasn't looking good. I woke up the next morning and when I went downstairs to eat breakfast, I saw in the free newspapers they have for students that he won. I was just sick to my stomach all morning, and I could barely eat (and no, it wasn't from the crap dorm food, I had gotten used to it). Just the thought of 4 more years literally had me sick. I called my dad after class and the both of us were just venting at each other, he was just as disgusted and dumbfounded as I was. The reelection of Dubya and 9/11 are the only two events that come to mind where I can recall with great detail what I was doing what I heard the news and what I did the rest of the day.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I thought that already happened. There was Reagan, we were bummed, then there was Bush II, and we saw just how bad it could be. How many more cycles of this can we endure?

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

While I've also been disappointed, I wished they'd do more (or at least advertise what they've done or want to do), they actually have gotten some things done. They don't exactly have a large majority and have a newly veto happy Pres to deal with too. I have a feeling that's going to change though. Even if we don't have a Dem Pres, you're kidding yourself if you think the GOP is going to do well in '08 in either house of Congress, despite our frustrations with the current Dems.

Pork has gone down as well.

We're just hoping it won't be worse. Would be pretty hard too, but as said, it certainly is possible. You're not going to say things have been going well have you?

Well, yeah. It is possible. Are you saying it isn't?

We're not the ones who need it, the GOP is.

We will if they win though, because we can't take 4-8 more years of this.

Lots of reasons.

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Quote:
    You expect more personal freedom, less governmental intrusion into your daily life, and a better economic climate?

Well, yeah. It is possible. Are you saying it isn't?"

No, I wouldn't say it ISN'T possible. What I'm saying is that like virgin birth in today's world, it won't happen.

You think an all-Dem regime will seriously clean up the Patriot Act? Make Homeland Security both viable and fair? Straighten out the TSA? Change the deal about "arrest the money" in alleged drug cases? Pass a national law obviating "public benefit" and restoring "public use"?

And, as a final rhetorical question, make rational decisions about federal spending in light of the coming/current financial debacle?

Good luck.

'Rat

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, the GOP has proven it's not going to do any of these, should why should they stay? Arguing that nothing is going to change...what's the point of it all then?

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

By the way, yg, thanks for mentioning the Bush countdown widget. I hadn't heard of it...but I've got it now! :)

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I never thought I'd miss Nixon, but here we are...

I'd be happy if the next Democratic administration didn't nominate pro-business cronies to the SCOTUS.

Besides, were you expecting fiscal sanity and less government intrusion into your personal life when you voted for Bush? I bet you were...

And if you weren't, then why gripe about it with Democrats? That would be hypocrisy.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Or you could use the Quote button. ;)

I never said they would, I just hope they aren't as bad as the current regime. Would be kinda hard to. But the previous guy, who though he wasn't great IMO, managed to do ok. The current one hasn't done much of anything, other than making almost everything worse.

Better than the GOP has, yeah.

Are you saying the GOP could do a better job, because they had their chance, and they blew it.