One of microphones on bottom not working on iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chihhsic, Apr 10, 2014.

1. chihhsic, Apr 10, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014

chihhsic macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I've had my iPhone 5 for 15-16 months now. It was good for a year, now it's just 1 problem after another. First, the speaker phone died and I took it to Apple Store to fix for $65. About a month ago, I started having problems with the power/sleep button, and went to a third party repair site 4 days ago to fix for $40. Apparently, people report that the Apple Store doesn't fix this problem.

Today, 3 different people told me that it sounds like I'm on speaker even though I wasn't. After some investigation, I've discovered that one of the microphones on the bottom of the phone doesn't work. On the bottom of the phone on either side of the charge port, there are 2 sets of microphone holes. The larger set (on the right as you're looking at the phone face-up) does not work, while the microphone on the left (smaller set of holes) works fine. The result is that when I'm holding the phone against my right ear, the other party can hear me fine, but when I have it against my left ear, the other party hears a lot of echoing. I don't know for sure when this problem occurred because I mostly text, but I find it to be too much of a coincidence that it went bad 4 days after someone took my phone apart to fix the power button. It's worth noting that when I shake the phone and speak into it, sometimes the microphone works briefly but the sounds is choppy before it cuts out again.

I'm going to take it back to the shop to look at when I have time, but other than that, any advice? There isn't too much online about this specific problem.

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Correct me if I am wrong, but one side is the microphone and the other is the speaker. So, which ever microphone "isn't working" is actually a speaker and shouldn't work as a microphone. It is however, likely that you cut or didn't tighten enough a cable going to the microphone, so I would take your phone apart again to check that everything is in place.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

That is correct--on the bottom one side is a speaker and one side is a microphone.

4. chihhsic thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind, I think you're right! So I'm not sure what's wrong with my phone then!

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Maybe related to other microphones as there's one on the back and in the front around the earpiece as well I believe--maybe one is getting covered up as you hold the phone or something else might be going on with one.

Also there's a noise cancellation related setting in the accessibility section in the general area of settings, so it might be worth trying to play with that setting a bit to see if it might make a difference.

Aside from that there are the usual things to try like restating, resetting settings, and perhaps restoring the phone, assuming it's not some hardware issue.