one of my usb port starts acting up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hatersgonnahate, May 16, 2011.

1. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

i have a mbp 2011 i7 2.0

i always use usb port (1) for my USB speakers. its always plugged in (1). Then all of a sudden music stopped working. i thought it was the speakers at first. so i troubleshooted to no avail. i restarted and nadda. i then tried using usb port (2) and the speakers worked again.

so i thought usb port (1) is dead, but i plugged my external hd and recognized it. plugged my speakers again to (1) and speakers didnt work, so now the speakers only work on usb port (2).

anything know whats wrong?

2. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

did i not explain it correctly? or is this such a weird/isolated problem?

4. stefmesman macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well it might help if you cam verify what you where doing when the speakers stopped. How hot was your laptop etc? Just call apple for thier service. Theyll fix it

5. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

i left the laptop on. so it went to sleep. once it woke, the speakers stopped working off that usb port (1).:confused:

6. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh well anyone experience something similar.

is there a way to troubleshoot my usb ports? update driver or something?:confused:

7. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. kdoug, May 16, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Try resetting your SMC. Shut your computer off. Plug in you power adapter. At the same time, push down on the left side of your keyboard, shift, control, option and the power button. Your computer should not turn on. Once this is done, turn it back on and see if your port is functioning.

Shut down the computer.
    Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
    On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

9. aldejesus macrumors regular

I was having a similar issue, the problem started after system update intalled firmware update and OSX update of early may, for the MPB 2011 models. One of my USB port didn't work properly, I was able to charge my iPad, iPhone, etc. But no data communication. After getting pissed off trying to find a solution. I did a time machine backup. Inserted the restore CD and formated the drive, resuming did a fresh install of the os. Then installed the update one by one, except the last 2 updates of may (the ones that cause the trouble). Those two, I downloaded them manually and installed them individually. I was able to make the updates without busting one of my USB ports.

Hope you get the same results.

10. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Never, ever bump.
    Be happy i have warned you and not a moderator.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I could be wrong, but I believe that one of your USB ports may be capable of providing a bit more USB power than the other one.

Do the USB speakers that you're using draw all their power directly from the USB bus (that is, they don't have an external power adapter)?

If so, at times they may exceed the maximum power output of the USB port -- and to protect the port, the Mac "shuts it off", at least temporarily.

Try shutting down completely (all the way to power off), and then rebooting.

The real solution:
    Get a set of speakers that uses an external power block plugged into the AC mains. They'll sound better, too (because more power is available to drive them).

12. hatersgonnahate thread starter macrumors 6502a

i went home and plugged everything back and it worked. :confused:

i rebooted atleast 2-3 times yday to see if it would fix but it didnt work. i hope i dont see the problem again.

thank you for the link. i will do this the next time it happens again.

hmmm last thing ill do is system restore. thanks though.
    i have usb speakers (samson 3i) that has ac power.

so to sum up, everything works now. i dont have any explanation how. maybe itunes caused it when it the macbook pro went to sleep?

anyway thanks for the replies