One of the greatest product hypes in history?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nooaah, Oct 3, 2011.

1. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Can you think of a bigger buzz for a product in "recent" (couldn't fit the whole thought into the topic) history?

Whatever happens tomorrow, Apple deserves major credit for creating such a frenzy for about the past six months. Absolutely brilliant even if unintentional.

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The original iPhone, the iPad 1 and 2, PS3 (not that recent but still)

3. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

World Cup 2010(South Africa)

Beijing Summer Olympics 2008

They are both products as they maximize profit for the venue at which they are held.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This is nothing.

If one is not thinking globally today, someone's head is in the sand.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

There's one difference about those other product hype. The iPhone 5 has had ZERO hype by Apple. All the buzz and hype has been from third partys generating made up information.

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

Is there really that big of a frenzy? Macrumors forums aren't exactly the best indication of what is happening in the real world.

7. awestruck macrumors regular

If you're talking about rumors and mockup photos, then yes, the hype has been out of hand :p.

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

This is why it shouldn't really be considered hype. Apple said absolutely nothing about an upcoming iPhone and as said, all the hype was created by third parties who believed they had information. We'll see who was right and who was wrong tomorrow.

9. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I don't think it's any different from any other iPhone release year. It just SEEMS like it because it was 4 months longer. :D

Tony

10. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The average person has no clue about this "hype" at all

11. newyorksole macrumors 68030

a lot of the info isn't made up. we just won't know until tomorrow.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

iPhone 4 had more hype. Got more media coverage because of the lost prototype. All my friends had heard about it. Most of my friends don't know about the current iPhone news.

13. newyorksole macrumors 68030

it's all over the news. the average person watches the news, has a FB or Twitter or does all 3.

Fox, CNN, ABC, NYT, USAToday, WSJ have all mentioned the new iPhone.

14. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Yeah, I think the general public is not as aware of it. But they will be when they want an iPhone.

15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

This. When Cnn.com has an article entitled "Sell your iPhone Now," you know the hype's on.

16. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Agreed. There are news stories out there but tomorrow it will begin to become much more apparent to the general public. Then on Wednesday it will be in every newspaper.

17. aohus macrumors 68000

you kiddin me?

Tickle Me Elmo had way more hype than this iPhone.

18. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You mean MacRumors™ history right?

Nobody outside this forum cares nor knows about what's going on...

19. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Dr. Dre dextox album > iPhone 5

jK

But the hype around this iPhone 5 does remind me of the 1st iPhone or first iPad.

20. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

It's like this every year. A newer one just pushes those old feelings out of the way.

21. CherryJello macrumors regular

I doubt there will ever be more hype then what we saw for the original iPad.

The rumors were out of control... Here are just a few

" from the WSJ: Apple "envisions that the tablet can be shared by multiple family members to read news and check email in homes," and has experimented with facial recognition through a built-in camera, along with virtual sticky notes that can be left behind."

"iLounge has a an oddball that they've "double-confirmed": Double dock connectors, so it can be charged in both portrait and landscape mode. Making more sense, a tablet-wide plastic stripe for decent connectivity"

"DigiTimes says that the 9.7-inch OLED panels are priced at about $500 bucks today, and the screen would account for about 30 percent of the device's $1500 to $1700 cost "

Talk about false leads and tons of hype. People thought it would be an end all be all computer straight out of Star Trek. With a brand new UI that no one could ever imagine. It ended up just being a big iPhone. But after we all got our hands on it, it was clear it's much more then that. But the iPad announcement taught me one thing. ALWAYS keep expectations in check, or you'll be easily disappointed.

http://gizmodo.com/5434566/the-exhaustive-guide-to-apple-tablet-rumors

22. aohus macrumors 68000

well, we have to bear in mind now that many, many carriers have added iPhone's to their inventory. Its not a AT&T thing anymore.

This is the first time that multiple subscribers from all 4 networks are looking into the iPhone.

Not to mention the 600+ million subscribers in China that are about to get the new iPhone too :)

23. auxsend macrumors regular

This has always been Apple's style. They don't say a word. They just show up when they feel like it and people buy it.

I think tomorrow will be one of their first let downs.

24. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

But thats the genius of Apple...By saying nothing, they say a ton. And get tons of FREE publicity, advertising, "hype" & "buzz"by doing it. They know exactly what "we" are going to do by them not saying anything. Apple has the secret recipe and it works.

25. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack