One Reason Big reason T-Mobile Customers should upgrade to 6s or 6s Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cyberguycpt, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Cyberguycpt macrumors 6502

Cyberguycpt

This thing has blazing fast internet. I must be on band 12 because I'm at the gym a place I was plenty of times and could barely watch a video on my phone without it taking forever to load now I'm hitting over 100 Mbps. Oh yeah. Loving T-Mobile and their unlimited 4G LTE.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cyberguycpt thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyberguycpt

3. xealo macrumors 6502

That's if they have band 12 in their respective area. Here in Boise, we don't have it yet, and I was told by one of their engineers that I had ran into locally, that we won't get it. Not sure for how long it will stay true, but with my 6+ i'm getting 70mbps on whatever non band 12 frequency it's using. So I'd say it's plenty fast as is.

4. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Those speeds are crazy, I've got full bars of LTE and confirmed band 12 coverage where I'm at and at best I'm getting 20Mbps up/down. Looking at the band 12 coverage though it looks like there might only be one tower in the city using it.

5. nutmac macrumors 68040

Can you try this?

Go to Phone, then Keypad, then dial *3001#12345#*.

Go to Serving Cell Info then report Freq Band Indicator. Most T-Mobile subscribers will see 4 in cities and suburbs (1700 MHz uplink, 2100 MHz downlink) and 2 in rural areas (1900 MHz).

6. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Interesting. I'm connected to band 4 but I know for sure I'm in band 12 coverage.

7. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I upgraded because I was going to be able to get it for the same payment price as my 6, with no need to make a down payment, so I figured, why not?

Where I go to school they actually legally CAN'T have Band 12 signal, so hopefully the other bands see improvement.

8. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

Just did this, got band 12!! In the SoCal area with the iPhone 6S.

9. james-jones macrumors member

james-jones

It will be interesting to see how much battery life improves for people switching to 700MHz from AWS.

10. Buringcoals, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

Buringcoals macrumors member

[​IMG]T-Mobile Band4 LTE by Shaun, on Flickr

Mine says band 4. But I just got 105Mbps download on speedtest. Pretty sure that's blazing fast.

11. ineel macrumors regular

First of all Band 12 is not going to allow you to have the speeds you are seeing there. T-Mobile currently owns mostly 5x5Mhz licences where they have band 12 spectrum. Based on their network configuration, the maximum downlink theoretical speeds on a 5x5 network is around 36Mbps. Although it is slow, it does allow indoor and rural coverage. What you are seeing in your speed test result is from T-Mobiles band 4 network which from the speed test looks like they are operating a 20x20Mhz band 4 network in your area. They may have simply brought online one of their towers near you that wasn't LTE prior.

T-Mobile Spectrum Holdings:
    Band 4: Primary LTE Band (may be 10x10, 15x15, or 20x20 depending on market)
    Band 2: Rural LTE (interim solution to bringing LTE to nearly all of their cell sites without major modifications to cell tower; may be upgraded at a future time to band 4 and/or band 12 if spectrum available)
    Band 12: Secondary LTE carrier (used as secondary carrier when band 4/band 2 not available such as indoor locations, network coverage holes, and rural LTE)

Remember that band 12 WILL NO provide you with faster speeds, but it WILL provide you with LTE coverage in places where you're phone would normally drop down to 2G/3G/4G due to low signal. Band 12 is T-Mobile's plan to be in coverage parity with the at&t/verizon. Band 12 will most likely be slow, but at least you'll be on LTE. T-Mobile's iPhone carrier settings are set so that your phone will always prefer band 4 then band 2 then band 12. If T-Mobile doesn't have licenses for band 12 in your area, then having a band 12 phone will be of no help to you except maybe resell value.

12. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Inside my home, T-Mobile speeds went down with Band 12 on the new phone because it's not a band about speed. I want it to get off Band 12. But it won't matter in the end as I can't switch to T-Mobile yet. I only get 1-5Mbps with them most of the day, whereas I get 50-60 on AT&T.

I hope T-Mobile will improve in my area as I want to move to them ASAP.

13. james-jones macrumors member

james-jones

Once there is a jailbreak you should be able to modify the carrier files - specifically the "LTE"->"LTE BAND Pref" key in the overrides_*.pri file.

14. nutmac macrumors 68040

But isn't T-Mobile also rolling out carrier aggregation that will combine band 12 with band 4 for even faster throughout? Sprint has already confirmed that iPhone 6s and 6s Plus support carrier aggregation and will be the first US carrier to roll it out.

15. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

AT&T has had carrier aggregation for over a year now and has launched it in markets all over the US. The iPhone 6/6+, Galaxy S5 from last year have supported these features for a while now...

16. tl01 macrumors 65816

Where in So Cal? Thanks!

17. Buringcoals, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

Buringcoals macrumors member

To bad AT&T is slow. T-Mobile just destroys all the carriers right now with speeds on band 4. That is if you are in area and have a good signal. I just gave AT&T the boot and switched to T-Mobile. The most I ever got with AT&T was 20-40m down, most of the time it was single digits, same location I get over 100m down with T-Mobile.

https://flic.kr/p/yeHLGH][​IMG]T-Mobile LTE Band 4 Seattle[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/burningcoals/]Shaun[/url], on Flickr

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I wish T-Mobile was more forthcoming on their markets and timelines. Boston is supposed to get it. Depending on who you ask it's "coming" or "its here". Unsure which it is, but I certainly can't touch those numbers here. Lol.

19. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Uh, T-Mobile should advertise this...? Especially since they're losing the carrier race. Unlimited data, which they seem to be moving away from, and blazing speed would be enough for me to switch.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I honestly don't think it's enough markets for them to really advertise it, except maybe targeted advertising (which may happen, I don't know).

21. Buringcoals macrumors member

Wrong.

T-Mobile is gaining ground on all carriers if you look at the #'s they are making money hand over fist and are re-investing in property left and right. Just wait.. because T-Mobile is coming out with some crazy stuff soon that will turn the market upside down.

http://bgr.com/2015/08/04/t-mobile-vs-verizon-vs-att-wireless-revenue-growth/

As you can see, T-Mobile was the only wireless carrier to post any year-over-year wireless service revenue growth (+11.1%) in the second quarter this year. AT&T came relatively close to breaking even with -0.2% year-over-year service revenue growth but both Verizon (-1.8%) and Sprint (-7.6%) were both deep in the red.

And T-Mobile isn’t just smoking rivals in wireless service revenue growth but in other metrics as well. For example, here are the numbers for overall wireless revenue growth.

22. james-jones macrumors member

james-jones

100mbps for all of 25 minutes until you get throttled to 200kbps.

23. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

They're growing revenue from a low point that involved closing the majority of T-Mobile stores. Although I agree that they do have some great growth to come and that they're really putting up a fight.

24. JAT macrumors 603

I actually was on a call in my office today on LTE. Never been able to before. It wasn't great, but definitely better then the i5 or i6 I had previously. Hoping that was 12, and not just a fluke.

25. CYKBC macrumors 6502