One step closer to my mac but I have a few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by van2010rulz, Jun 18, 2010.

1. van2010rulz macrumors regular

So I have finally decided on my first ever mac. It will be a Macbook pro refurbished Intel core 2 duo 2.4 ghz 4gb of ram. Now the questions I have are: 1. Is the casing worth it? 2. Is the backlight on the keyboard useful.
    Thanks

Now I think the best part about this is that ram is pretty cheep and 8gb of expanable space would be nice. Let's know what you think.

2. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Well, if you are referring to the "Unibody" casing it is certainly IMO well designed and very structurally sturdy with practically zero flex...
    The backlight is very bright against the black keys (the brightest of any PowerBook/MacBook I have owned and that is more than a few)...I find it very useful when typing late at night...the fact that the backlight is variable is a nice feature as well.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The unibody design is supreme and certainly justifies Apple's decision to classify the whole range as "Unibody" MacBook Pro. You will find it quite sleek yet sturdy and a pleasure to carry!!

The backlight is also very useful especially if you work in environments lacking ambient light. It leaks though..

4. bob.loblaw macrumors member

1. Maybe
    2. Yes

This thread is ridiculous. What is the point if you've already decided? What kind of responses did you expect? What does RAM have to do with any of your questions?

5. BeamWalker macrumors 6502

BeamWalker

1. This is something everybody has to decide for themselves. IMO yes.
    2. If you only work in bright daylight probably not, but anywhere else: yes.

6. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

1. Aesthetically, there's nothing better on the market. The material is more resistant to wear than the plastics of other laptops. Meanwhile the higher end material used in premium Windows laptops like the HP Envy series and the Sony Z (carbon fiber)--and I'm quite fond of both--still don't match the look and feel of the Apple unibody. Beyond looks, it's surely amongst the most durable out there. The bottom half does not flex at all and the lid barely flexes. So when you handle it or place it in a stuffed bag, you won't need to worry about the pressure placed on the lid.

2. I can't settle for a laptop without it anymore. Looks beautiful, and useful at night or on the plane when cabin lights are off. It's fairly customizable too, should you prefer not to let the ambient sensor handle it.

7. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

1. FFS - just because something is rigid doesnt make it durable. My dinner plates don't flex - but I wouldn't want my laptop to be made out of porcelain.
    MBP: looks nice, is reasonably well put together. Is *not* industrial strength.

2. Backlight is v. useful in the dark.

8. Libertine Lush macrumors 6502a

There is no excess of civility in this forum.

9. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Ok macbook Pro it is. Just wanted to check.

No need to be so mean. I was just checking it was worth it.

10. Sarngate macrumors regular

Perfectly understandable that somebody would want to know if a Macbook is worth it before purchase, for some people spending $1000+ on a laptop is a big investment.

To be perfectly honest, i would recommend going to an Apple Store if you can, easiest way to find out if you like the thing is to play around with it yourself. ;)

11. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

imo the unibody is definitely worth it, the backlighting is useful, only upgrade the ram to 8gb now if you need it, it is quite expensive atm and the price should decrease dramatically in the next year or two. btw 4gb is more than enough for most people

12. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for understanding the only thing is the closest apple store is in a mall i do not frequent often. Vancouver only has two. Maybe i will go to best buy or something and check it out thanks to everybody.

13. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

You have chosen a good setup. I like that you're willing to try out a refurbished MBP for your first mac. Not only are you going to save your cash, but you'll have a chance to learn on one of the best OS's in the computer market. When you're done using this mac after about two years of use, you'll get a chance to upgrade to a newer MBP. For me, that was the best feeling ever. To use a mac and out use it was the best feeling I ever had. The software is the best too. As for the back-lit display, i love it. It really helps when in low light surfing and typing. Have fun with your mac.

14. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Ha Ha funny story. The only reason i am looking at the refurbished is yes it is cheeper but i couldn't afford the same set up if it was brand new.

15. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

You also get the same warranty as the new MBP's

16. van2010rulz thread starter macrumors regular

Yay! Thank god for that. I would cry if it didn't work when i got it.